OH visit

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

OH visit

Postby kelpie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Image This is Serpent mound. See how it is shaped like a gaint snake. I climbed the observation tower to get this shot. The Adena tribe of Native americcans is believed to have built this as a burial mound. It is also believed that it was used to to predict seasons and other events. There are signs along its length to show where things like the sunmer solstice are.

Image These babies were swimming on Rocky Fork lake. I stayed at the state park and my site was just up the hill from this view.
ImageHere is Old Man;s Cave - Eddie wasn't too sure about going down here.
Image He didn't mind this bridge, though. and he loved these falls, called Upper Falls
Image and he refreshed himself here as well
Several people used this spot for photo ops
I visited these areas several decades ago and had not been back so it was neat to see them again.
Next, I traveled north to visit an area I had never taken the time to do - Amish country. This area actually has the largest population of Amish people in the US. I've visited Lancaster PA and was fascinated by the differences between there and OH. I went for a buggy ride in this one . My driver's name was Henry Image
These are different types of bonnets which represent different sects within their church Image
Then I toured a house See the gas lights
Image.
They used this quilt to cover an old couch Image Here's another one on the bed - not quite as colorful - did you know that they only use solid fabrics ? Image
ImageHere's a distance shot of as farm - there are several large homes on each farm
then i saw this little cart outside a market Image
Hope you all enjoyed the tour.
Last edited by kelpie on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelpie

Re: OH visit

Postby Paulette » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Loved the tour. Looks like you are doing some local traveling. Good for you.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby VickieP » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Neat trip and pics! Did you go in the cave? I love exploring caves (not that i've done it much), just makes me curious about people who might have lived there or holed up there for a night, etc. I didn't realize that there were that many Amish in OH, I've only heard about PA or I didn't pay attention and just figured any story on tv was taking place in PA. What is the reason for solid colors only on their quilts? Do they only make solid color fabrics because of modest lifestyle? I know I have alot of questions, but hey, I'm curious :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 pm

great pictures and narrative, thank you
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby kelpie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Vicki, I only went in the little tunnel like parts that were on the trail - mostly it was the overhanging type of cave. I believe the solidn fabric is because prints are too "worldly"
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby VickieP » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Okay that's cool, Kellie, thanks for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity :D and for sharing your trip with us.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby oregontocal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:13 am

I'm driving to Dayton, OH from NE Oklahoma next weekend and was wondering if there are any Amish towns on the way.
oregontocal

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 am

Here's the route you'd most likely take (the blue line) as routed by Streets & Trips:

See Montomgery, IN? That's where this place is:

http://www.gasthofamishvillage.com/

If you took a slightly more southerly routed, it wouldn't be too far out of your way...and I guess that area is kind of in the heart of mid-central Amish country.

Hope this helps.

mitch5252

Postby oregontocal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:51 am

mitch5252 wrote:See Montomgery, IN? That's where this place is:

http://www.gasthofamishvillage.com/

Thank you! This looks just about right. And, not too far out of the way, either.
oregontocal

Postby sharon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Very interesting...thanks Kelpie. Loved the waterfall, I'm with Eddie, looks like a great swimming hole.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Return to Interesting Places