Los Ebanos, TX

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Los Ebanos, TX

Postby asirimarco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 am

Last year when we were in McAllen TX for a week we did some exploring and found this place - (quote from my blog of that time) Hope it survives the weather -Drove to Los Ebanos, TX to see a hand-drawn ferry that crosses the Rio Grande into Mexico. It can take three cars at a time across and takes about four minutes. It is also the only government-licensed ferry on any river in the US. There is a border station on both sides. The day we went it wasn’t running, hadn’t been for a couple of months as the river had been too high. It was going to open the next day. The area around the ferry was very pretty – lots of ebony trees growing there. I never realized they grew in the US thought they just grew in Africa for some reason. Then we went to see an old chapel that had been built in the 1800s for the ranch hands and farmers. It was Built of stones carved by hand from a rock quarry with a hand file! Then we stopped in Mission, TX where Tom Landry, the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, was born. Theres a huge mural about his life there.

Thought I saw a topic on places to see or go??????? but couldn't find it
asirimarco

Interesting Place pictures

Postby asirimarco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 pm

found pictures of the ferry and church should have added them before
ferry on US side
small part of the mural
the old church

asirimarco

Re: Interesting Place pictures

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Loved the pictures. Would like to go there someday. Did you take your rig across into Mexico?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby asirimarco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:17 pm

We were just returning from a little over two months in Mexico - went as far south as Acapulco then came back through the interior. If your interested the trip is recorded on my web site movingon1.com the 2007 trip.
asirimarco

Postby Liz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Interesting pictures, but it doesn't look like that ferry could carry 3 cars at once! Maybe itty bitty cars?
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby avalen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 pm

very interesting, the river doesn't look very wide but the ferry is very interesting.
I agree about adding a room to post "great places to see or visit" or whatever you
want to call it.

HA, I just noticed it got created, woohoo, see Barbz, ask and ye shall receive
and the post already got moved, haha, how cool is that, Beth you are so good!
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:13 pm

LOL Ava - now I expect you to start posting the interesting places you go to hehehe

And everyone else too - as there are so many of them - this is one I'll try to go see this winter or in the spring.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Interesting Places