Alamos, Mexico Pueblo Magico

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Alamos, Mexico Pueblo Magico

Postby asirimarco » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:23 pm

We drove up to Alamos, Mexico about 65 miles away the other day. We had been there a couple of years ago and loved it. It is one of Mexico's Magical Towns - very old colonial towns that are still the same as they were in the 1600s. It was originally a mining town until the metal ran out. Around 1940 it was "rediscovered" by the Gringos from the US and Canada. They started moving in and restoring the old mansions Colonial Mansions. Today it is like walking back into history. It has not been westerized at all. The church was builr in 1786. Many of the buildings surrounding the main plaza have beautiful arches and big interior patios. The streets are very narrow and cobblestone. Now there are alot of artesians living there and starting tomorrow there is a international music festival being held there.
Any way here are some pictures of it....right click on web address and "open in new window" click on first picture then use arrows to move to next pictures.

http://www.movingon1.com/AlamosMexico hope you enjoy it.
asirimarco

Re: Alamos, Mexico Pueblo Magico

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:18 pm

No hoping to worry about, yep, sure did enjoy it - went through it once, then went back and did it again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Love the old architecture & the churches are fanastic! :D I went thru it a couple of times too.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 am

Wow! I didn't recognize much in that town now. I do remember the raised sidewalks, and during the music festival what you called the second plaza was where the band would play till the early morning hours and people would dance. All around the plaza vendors would sell food. We helped the family we stayed with with their food stand. Did you see a hotel called Los Tesoro? We drank Fanta-seeyas (spelled like it sounds) there. Huge mixed drinks. I attended church in that huge church by the plaza. Standing room only. Did you venture to see their cementary? Quite interesting. Did you do one of the tours where they will take you inside of the nicer homes?
Thanks for sharing!
AlmostThere

Return to Interesting Places