Panoche Hills BLM Boondocking spot.

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Panoche Hills BLM Boondocking spot.

Postby peacetara » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Panoche Hills BLM: http://freecampsites.net/#!8690&query=sitedetails

It's too hot in the summer/this time of year, but winter/spring it's really beautiful, I was there last February to fabulous weather!

There is nothing around in any direction, anywhere, except I-5. So go prepared to boondock!

I spent a glorious 2 weeks there with Ferdy (my van, pictured above). My first night there, there was 2 other people, but the next day they all ran off, and I spent the next two weeks in solitude, with the occasional view of someone driving along a dirt road off in the distance.

With Love,
Tara
peacetara

Re: Panoche Hills BLM Boondocking spot.

Postby sharon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Very pretty....can't see me taking a 34ft DP in there, tho.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:11 pm

I would love it - but it even says high clearance recommended for almost all of the roads ... ah well ... can't go to every place. Glad you and your van, can, though!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Beth, I was going to say that the road to that one beach in MX was trickier that what this pictures shows but then I remember that you are in the same position I think about now. I would drive my old rig places that I am not ready to take this one down. :) :o
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:42 am

Looks like a moonscape. I love deserts but this is way too bare for me.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby peacetara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 am

Panoche Hills is a very large spot, If you go thru the main entrance, it's a fairly nice gravel road, I've never seen large RV's out there, but I've only been there once, for 2 weeks. The neighbors that were there the first day were in little honda cars, so I think larger vehicles would make it. So I would say go with caution if in a large RV. I'm sure next winter I'll make it back thru there, I'll try to remember and figure out what has changed, and try to find parking spots/etc for larger rigs, if there is interest.

It is pretty sparse, tho my picture does sort of highlight that sparseness, in the valleys between the hills there is definitely lots of scrub brush, so it's not as barren as the picture makes it out to be! There isn't much above 4-5' tall tho, so forest it is not!
peacetara

Return to Interesting Places