Southern coast

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Southern coast

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Now that the wind has stopped, we made it back out to the beach. I have no idea what the names of different birds are, so I just make up names for them. :lol: The first thing we saw was .... the fast walking birds!! I'd have to video them for you to see how fast their skinny little legs move!

We snuck up on this big white fella but the girls couldn't keep quiet so off he flew! He was surrounded by Gooney birds, and the flying sea rats most ppl call Seagulls. I don't care for the Gulls. Bad history with them. :roll:

We got another pic of the Gooney birds. Right after this they jumped in or flew off. They are very spooky birds.

But we found the house we want! I love the windows!! It must feel like you could see forever! :heart:

The only problem is the street it's on! :shock: Don't know if I could handle living on a street with this name. Read it carefully! :oops: :lol:

Finally, we found some birds we know the name of! YAY!! These are Flamingos!! :lol: :lol:

NakedPupsAndMe

Re: Southern coast

Postby avalen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:44 pm

how cool, funny birds and that house is huge, that would take me forever to keep
it clean, oh wait, I could be rich and hire a maid since I'm dreaming anyway.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby asirimarco » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:20 pm

the little fast walking birds - can't remember the name but a long time ago E Taylor and R Burton made a movie that was the same name as the birds....don't remember that either. Sure it will come to me in the middle of the night!
asirimarco

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Ok, the last time I tried to guess the identity of the bird I was waaaayy off.
Jenny was pretty good at identifying birds. Jenny???
I want to say sandpipers.
AlmostThere

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am

I agree....some species of sandpipers.

And what a house! Yes, with a live-in window washer, I would want that, too!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:15 am

But would you want to live on Booby Trail? :lol: I thought this street name was hilarious. The house isn't really on this street. The house is oceanfront & not for sale to my knowledge, I just loved all the windows.

One of the residents of Booby Trail told me a funny story. One day she heard laughing outside, so she looked out to see 2 middle aged women laughing hysterically. One of them was standing behind the sign, hanging hers' over it while her friend took the pic. Not long after that they replaced the signs with posts! :lol:
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

I call the long legged ones "running fast birds" - I think they're probably sandpipers. I like to make up names for things too - lots of times they make more sense then the real names.
Whenever allot of gulls fly over I tell Molly to cover her eyes - I figure they'll swoop down and pick out our eyes ! Too many horror movies I guess :shock:
I think it'd be really funny to live on Booby Trail - how funny !!!! I'd have to have a T-shirt made :D
Thanks for the pictures - they're great.
Mollysmom

Postby dcricket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: tooooooo funny about the story of the two older ladies "hangin over" a Booby Trails sign :lol: :lol: :lol:
toooooo cute.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am

I absolutely LOVE the name of the street. Isn't there some coastal bird name "boobie"?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Piping Plover? ....... perhaps?
Cedar518

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:03 pm

I suspect Cedar has checked her bird book, and is probably right on the mark!! She is seldom wrong after 'checking things out!'

:)

Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Birdie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 pm

The birds for ID are: the fast runners are Dunlin, the big white is White Egret, the looneys are a Cormorant either Neotropical or Double-crested. The booby of Booby Trail is another species of bird and there are Blue-Footed, Red-Footed, Masked, and Brown Booby. Sounds like my kind of place!

Better late than never and I know - more information than you ever wanted! :roll:
Birdie
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Sparkle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm

That's a game I can play! I always think the little fast moving birds are doing the two step. I called these birds Carrot Noses. I think it was Cedar who correctly identified them as Oystercatchers. American Pied Oystercatchers to be precise.
Sparkle

Return to Interesting Places