Who's been to Savannah, Ga?

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Who's been to Savannah, Ga?

Postby Deeann » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm wanting to visit Savannah this year. What can anyone tell me about it? Where to camp, eat, what to see, traffic in the historic section, etc. Need as much info as I can gather. Thanks!
Deeann

Re: Who's been to Savannah, Ga?

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I love Savannah. Great city, and it was easy to travel in. But if you go for St. Patrick's Day, take public transportation. Great parade, though. Enjoy the city and take the trolley. They will give you info on everything and you can get on and off all day... unless it's changed.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:46 am

Deeann.....The Savannah area has been our winter home for about the last 7 yrs....Ernie is retired Army and we camp hosted at Ft. Stewart's CG for 5 yrs. now we just visit for a few months there...you have to be military retired or active duty to take advantage of this cg....BUT there are 2 GA state parks within driving distance of downtown Savannah, a KOA south of town, and a few other nice CGs in the area, too....also there's a CG on Tybee Island......March and April are the best months to visit as the temps are just right, and the spring flowers are beautiful with the Live Oaks and Spanish Moss...Beth is right about St. Patrick's Day...there's a BIG Parade and the streets are crowded so public transportation is a must......Oct. thru Dec.'s temps are good, too....If you are into "hot and humid", then you'll love summer in GA... :shock: :lol: We always advise folks to park at the visitor center in town and take advantage of trolley cars/city transportation....they also have tour buses there who give nice tours of the city.....

We're here until May 1st, so PM me for any more info or questions....

It's early, so I need more coffee.... :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Deeann » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for the info, girls. I've been looking at lots of sites where I can get info on the city. I saw about the St. Pats day events. I like to avoid crowds so I won't be there for that. I would love to go in Mar/Apr but right now I'm recovering from back surgery so I'll have to postpone the trip awhile. I love to plan my trips and gather as much info as I can ahead of time. One of my big concerns is the traffic. I prefer to drive my vehicle to whatever place I want to be. But I think it probably would be to my advantage to take the public transportation while I'm there. Trolleys, carriage rides, etc. all sound like fun and would be a good way to travel around the city. From what I've read on the net they still have transportation that you can ride all day, getting off and on as you wish. That would be good. I'm hoping that I'll be done with all this surgery, therapy and whatnot by Sept. I think October would be a good time to go unless I want to wait until next spring (I don't).
Deeann

Postby CricketSail » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 am

I just came from Savannah, highly recommend. I stayed at the Visitor Center for 2 days for $12 dollars. It's easy to get to. When you arrive just check in with the desk upstairs and they will give you a pass for your dashboard. The great news is that the visitor center is so central to everything, and from there everything is within walking distance. All kinds of tour buses are in and out all day. So you just can park, and you can see the museum at the visitor center, walk over to great restaurants and the train museum, or walk into town. It wasn't far to walk to the River Walk. I took a tour bus, and then walked the whole thing with my two dogs. BTW, there is a water tap on the outer side of the parking lot, inconspicuous, but it's there if you need water. Savannah is a dog friendly city if you are bringing yours along. I will definitely be back to visit Savannah again. - Sharon
CricketSail

Postby sharon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 am

LOVED LOVED LOVED Savannah! I was there last July. Camped out on Tybee Island and can't wait for the chance to go back there!! There's a restaurant on the edge of town where you can park your car and take the free city bus anywhere you want to go. Food was awful at ....oh hell, CRS just kicked in....oh yeah, Paula Dean...but was great everywhere else. Ernie and Lori know all the good places. Kayaking was wonderful on Tybee, we found this little hidden beach to kayak out of and you could kayak around to Ernies fave restaraunt. Evening trolley ghost tour was fun. Going thru town with a big DP towing a car to get to Tybee not so much, but I'll do it again in a heartbeat. Have fun!!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Gentleladybear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Be sure to go down on the Wharf. Great fun is always there. Shrimp factory is in that area, a lot of great shops. The house from the movie Midnight Garden of Good and Evil is a great place to visit.

The town area is set up in squares with the houses built around the squares. The squares are parks and of a lot of interest to walk and look at the homes there. Some are open to visit.

Enjoy your trip, Savannah is a great place to visit.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Deeann » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks, girls. This is all great information and will help me do my trip planning. I want to make the most of every minute that I'm there while still having plenty of leisure time to just hang out and enjoy the surroundings. Sometimes I just like to plop down in my lawn chair and absorb everything that surrounds me: sights, scents, the breeze, sunshine. It all creates a memory of that particular moment in time. I'm really looking forward to my trip and hope I can go this fall. Just have to wait for my back to heal up from surgery and I'll be on my way. Thanks for all the great tips!!
Deeann

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:35 am

CricketSail wrote:I just came from Savannah, highly recommend. I stayed at the Visitor Center for 2 days for $12 dollars. It's easy to get to. When you arrive just check in with the desk upstairs and they will give you a pass for your dashboard. The great news is that the visitor center is so central to everything, and from there everything is within walking distance. All kinds of tour buses are in and out all day. So you just can park, and you can see the museum at the visitor center, walk over to great restaurants and the train museum, or walk into town. It wasn't far to walk to the River Walk. I took a tour bus, and then walked the whole thing with my two dogs. BTW, there is a water tap on the outer side of the parking lot, inconspicuous, but it's there if you need water. Savannah is a dog friendly city if you are bringing yours along. I will definitely be back to visit Savannah again. - Sharon

We were in town last Monday and I noticed a Class C in the Visitor center parking lot....Was that you?? If I had known you were here, would have knocked on the door and we could have explored together and shown you our favorite places.... ;) Darn!!!! Sorry we missed you....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

sharon wrote:LOVED LOVED LOVED Savannah! I was there last July. Camped out on Tybee Island and can't wait for the chance to go back there!! There's a restaurant on the edge of town where you can park your car and take the free city bus anywhere you want to go. Food was awful at ....oh hell, CRS just kicked in....oh yeah, Paula Dean...but was great everywhere else. Ernie and Lori know all the good places. Kayaking was wonderful on Tybee, we found this little hidden beach to kayak out of and you could kayak around to Ernies fave restaraunt. Evening trolley ghost tour was fun. Going thru town with a big DP towing a car to get to Tybee not so much, but I'll do it again in a heartbeat. Have fun!!

:D :D Yes, you will have to do it again....We'll be back here next year....another place for a GTG..... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Return to Interesting Places