Desert Botanical Garden

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Desert Botanical Garden

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am

Karen and I spent yesterday at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. Wonderful place. The blog post is very heavy on pictures ... little commentary, hope you enjoy.

http://ontheroadwithbeth.com/blog/2013/ ... al-garden/
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Desert Botanical Garden

Postby Redwahine » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 am

How beautiful. What a great gtg.
Redwahine

Postby avalen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:57 am

too bad I had to work, I missed a great day. The gardens are beautiful and I've only been there once, even though its barely 3 miles from my driveway.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm

One of my favorite places anywhere. Best thing is that their parking lot is large enough for my motorhome! I'm planning on spending a few weeks in that area next winter, so it will definitely be on my list.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I was wondering if the desert plants were blooming yet. They sure are beautiful!

(What was the brown fuzzy stuff along the sides of the young sajuaros (no arms yet) in that one photo?)
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I was wondering if the desert plants were blooming yet. They sure are beautiful!

(What was the brown fuzzy stuff along the sides of the young sajuaros (no arms yet) in that one photo?)

Those weren't saguaros. I can't remember the name of them, but that fuzzy stuff is normal on them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Anyone who says the desert is ugly just hasn't been there when its blooming and/or doesn't look hard enough. I truly LOVE the desert.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby TarheelBornGal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Loved your photos, and the desert is beautiful to this North Carolina born and bred gal. I used to think it was just brown and dusty, but once we actually visited the southwest, my opinion completely changed.

Thanks for sharing your trip to the Botanical Garden -- I hope to get there one day. My kinda place!

Emily
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks again for the great photos, Beth.
I was fortunate enough to draw a short assignment at Ft Huachua (home of the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and the U.S. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command (NETCOM)/9th Army Signal Command. Located in Cochise County, in southeast Arizona, about 15 miles north of the border with Mexico) back in the '80s. It rained while I was there and the speed and beauty of the desert spring into bloom was totally amazing to me.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Big tip: cactus can be deceiving. If you see something on a cactus that looks nice and soft and fuzzy, do NOT touch it! There is one in particular called a teddy bear cactus. I could not resist touching it and had to use duct tape to remove the microscopic stickers!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby TarheelBornGal » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm

JudyJB wrote:Big tip: cactus can be deceiving. If you see something on a cactus that looks nice and soft and fuzzy, do NOT touch it! There is one in particular called a teddy bear cactus. I could not resist touching it and had to use duct tape to remove the microscopic stickers!

Very good tip, Judy. Thank you! I can just see myself doing something like that, being from the east and all. D'oh! :roll:
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Yep, that soft, fuzzy looking Teddy Bear cactus sucked me in also. Sneaky little sucker.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby snowball » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 pm

enjoyed the pictures sure wish that I had been able to go with you two...as it turns out it's a good thing I was at home I was able to send some of my excess baggage up on a partially empty trailer going to ID but how I wish that I could have gone with you :(
I love gardens there is a garden in Tuscan I believe that we went to or was it Oklahoma City now I don't remember but it was a nice one..and love the Desert Museum
thanks
sheila
snowball

Return to Interesting Places