Neat Receipt scanners

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Neat Receipt scanners

Postby JoanE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Anyone using one of these? They have the mobile and the desk top models. I currently have a three in one machine but since I will no longer be working again, I don't need it and it takes up too much room (have a Class C RV). However I hate accumulating paper so like to scan receipts etc into my computer.

In 2011, when I first hit the road, I was selling my house and several times I needed to print, sign and return documents. I would just go to Staples, Office Max, etc with my flash drive to print.

The Neat Receipt scanners look great but kind of expensive.

Joan
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Neat Receipt scanners

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:01 pm

I just take a pic of them with my phone - then upload the pic to whatever file necessary. Really, really easy :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Mrssissy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 pm

I have had one of the small Neat scanners for about a year and use it all the time for receipts and have used it to scan pictures and 8-1/2 x 11 paper into pdf files to email and store. It will also organize your stuff into categories. Once you build your database of receipts it knows if it is Walmart or Walgreens automatically. If you don't have one, buy a high capacity terabite external hard drive (about $100) to keep all data backed up on and you won't panic if your computer HD goes out or you need to upgrade your system.
2003 Fleetwood Providence with a 2008 Saturn Aura toad
Mrssissy

Postby JoanE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Mrssissy wrote:I have had one of the small Neat scanners for about a year and use it all the time for receipts and have used it to scan pictures and 8-1/2 x 11 paper into pdf files to email and store. It will also organize your stuff into categories. Once you build your database of receipts it knows if it is Walmart or Walgreens automatically. If you don't have one, buy a high capacity terabite external hard drive (about $100) to keep all data backed up on and you won't panic if your computer HD goes out or you need to upgrade your system.

Mrssissy, the software is a plus although I am usually very organized with my files. My concern about the small/mobile scanner is that it appears I can only feed one sheet at a time. Correct? That could be tedious if I have a multi page document. I scan everything - insurance policies, receipts, etc. I do not like to keep paper. The external hard drive was also just recommended to me by my computer guru.
JoanE

Postby relaxing101 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

Joan -

I purchased the small Neat scanner to help me organize my Mother's paperwork. You are right, the small single page at a time was a real pain! So I bit the bullet and purchased the desktop model. It is a little pricey but I love it!!! It works great and they have made some awesome enhancements to the software.

I even use it for recipes. Then I can search for an ingredient and find specific recipes containing that ingredient.

Bonnie
Life is a maze full of choices! Choose your path wisely!
relaxing101

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Don't have one but have been considering getting it. Thanks for the info.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MsJane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Does anyone know if stores like Walmart would accept a copy of a receipt? I know my local department stores will not accept credit card statement (from their store) as proof of purchase when returning the item. This was before they generalize the data.

On another note this scanner could come in handy for record keeping.
MsJane

Postby Bethers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm

I would never try to use a copy for returning an item. I'd be surprised if they accepted that. I'd keep the real receipt until you are sure you're keeping the item.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Mrssissy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Sorry for the late reply but I have been out of pocket for awhile. Yes only scans one page at a time but it is so small and convienent it works for me.
2003 Fleetwood Providence with a 2008 Saturn Aura toad
Mrssissy

Postby JoanE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

MsJane wrote:Does anyone know if stores like Walmart would accept a copy of a receipt?

I have used a copy of a receipt but each store may have their own policy. If you purchase something online, you only get an email copy so I don't know why a store would have a problem. If you paid with a credit card, they only refund to the credit card.

For IRS purposes, you can use copies of receipts.

Joan
JoanE

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos