Handheld GPS for Geocaching

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Handheld GPS for Geocaching

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Any recommendations for handheld GPS units to use for geocaching?
I figure I could use the iPad, but what a pain to schlepp around and or possibly expose to weather.

mitch5252

Re: Handheld GPS for Geocaching

Postby Redwahine » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I used to have a Garmin. But now use my smart phone with the geocache official app. It uses the phone's GPS and works better than the Garmib did. So now I just use my phone :P
Redwahine

Postby VickieP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Mitch has the old fashioned phone, you have to hand crank it and wait for the operator to answer. :roll:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Redwahine wrote:I used to have a Garmin. But now use my smart phone with the geocache official app. It uses the phone's GPS and works better than the Garmib did. So now I just use my phone :P

Is that the app from geocaching dot com? I have that on my iPad. I'm going to see what operating system version I have on my iPod Touch...I would much rather drag that around the field...
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm

VickieP wrote:Mitch has the old fashioned phone, you have to hand crank it and wait for the operator to answer. :roll:

We posted at the same time.

The ONLY thing I'd like to crank is YOUR MOUTH. SHUT. Image
mitch5252

Postby Azusateach » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 pm

I have both -- a Garmin and an iPhone with the Geocaching.com app. I like the phone for a quick look-up and the occasional search. But they really suck the battery dry if you're going to use it for an extended time. Plus, the GPS doesn't seem to be as accurate as my Garmin.

For those times when I do some intense(?) geocaching, I create a pocket query and download it on both devices. That way I have the cache info. on my phone and the coordinates on my Garmin. Works for me.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Laura, which Garmin do you have? I don't want to spend a bunch of $$$, so I was looking at the low(est)-end eTrex...
mitch5252

Postby Azusateach » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm

mitch5252 wrote:Laura, which Garmin do you have? I don't want to spend a bunch of $$$, so I was looking at the low(est)-end eTrex...

Just took a look at the Garmin website, and apparently they're not making my model anymore. It looks like mine is closest to the e-treks 20. I think the e-treks 10 would be fine, although I didn't look closely at the specs for that one. The biggest thing I'd be interested in is how much info. you can download into it from geocaching.com's website. Having hints and recent logs is really helpful, so that's why I take my iPhone with me. My Garmin only downloads coordinates.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby HorizonSeeker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Mitch,

You can use your phone and the official geocaching.com app (which costs $$) or you can use an app called c:geo which many of us cachers use and it is free. But yes, using your phone for gps will suck the battery down quickly.

I went to geocaching.com and clicked on the forums and looked in the section called garage sale. I bought a slightly used $200 garmin handheld for $50. It works great and runs forever on AA batteries. It is far more accurate in the woods and on trails than your phone would be. I just bought a bracket for the handlebars of my bike that will hold my handheld. Now I can geocache down bike trails plus the handheld will give me speed and distance when I'm caching or when I'm just out riding.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:53 pm

HorizonSeeker wrote:Mitch,

You can use your phone and the official geocaching.com app (which costs $$) or you can use an app called c:geo which many of us cachers use and it is free. But yes, using your phone for gps will suck the battery down quickly.

I went to geocaching.com and clicked on the forums and looked in the section called garage sale. I bought a slightly used $200 garmin handheld for $50. It works great and runs forever on AA batteries. It is far more accurate in the woods and on trails than your phone would be. I just bought a bracket for the handlebars of my bike that will hold my handheld. Now I can geocache down bike trails plus the handheld will give me speed and distance when I'm caching or when I'm just out riding.

I don't have a smartphone...can't use it where I live. Wish I could.

Which Garmin did you get for the fifty?
mitch5252

Postby HorizonSeeker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

I bought a Garmin Map 60. I just looked on the GPS Garage Sale and there's a Garmin Etrex Venture for $65. Same thing at Amazon is $199.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:26 am

I've ordered the Etrex 20.
Hasn't shipped yet!
I hope to have it mastered by the time I go camping with my friend in April.
Hope it gets us up and out and walking.
mitch5252

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos