Tabletop Fireplaces

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Tabletop Fireplaces

Postby bbbarker194 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Girls,

I am thinking about one of the tabletop fireplaces for my RV (http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace ... Fireplaces). Has anyone used one of these in an RV? Any thoughts on using such inside an RV?

Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts or ideas.

Barbara
bbbarker194

Re: Tabletop Fireplaces

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I travel with animals and don't like open flames.....I figure it is just an accident waiting to happen. :?
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 am

In a small confined space I would think you have to be very careful of fumes and gases from an open flame. If I'm not using my propane heater I will sometimes use a small electric heater but NEVER leave it on when I'm not in the rig.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm

I love these things and have thought about buying one. I used to have a portable fireplace that used the gel fuel cannisters but there was a firebox to protect them. I would be very reluctant to use one of these indoors. If it was knocked over somehow, the gel fuel would spill/splatter all over and catch everything on fire. I would only use one outside. They do put out decent heat tho.

FYI...the gel fuel that these use has no odor or smoke so it can be used indoors - very carefully!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Pamela » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Don;t know how to contact you ,retired happy, but I live in Hunt and have just joined the forum and would like to meet up and talk with you. Pamela

retiredhappy wrote:In a small confined space I would think you have to be very careful of fumes and gases from an open flame. If I'm not using my propane heater I will sometimes use a small electric heater but NEVER leave it on when I'm not in the rig.
Pamela

Postby Sandersmr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Barbie - it's not the odor or smoke. All combustion consumes oxygen, so the fireplaces as well as the propane furnaces both require some sort of ventilation to avoid suffocation.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby longdog2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I agree this would be kind of scary in an RV. Don't know that I would want one on a table in my house either.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby cpatinjones » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Humm...the only flame (fire) I want in my rv is from the gas stove! I would be concern of safety, i.e. a fire!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby mtngal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Interesting thread; gel fire places are new to me so I had had to do some reading! Turns out the gel isn't combustible so no concern re oxygen. Lacking a real fireplace I think I would be tempted in a house; but not an rv. As much as I love candles, I don't burn them in my rig either. Ummm though now that I'm thinking about it, maybe a candle on the picnic table would be nice!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 pm

There are fireplaces in rv's. Now I'm curious as to what they use.

As to electric heaters, I leave mine on when not in the rig ... have no problem doing that. They are so much better than they used to be.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby longdog2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm

I think the RV fireplaces are all electric heaters with faux flames that look pretty real. You can have the flames "with" or "without" heat.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Redwahine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

I think our fireplace is like most that come in RVs. Electric light bulbs create the illusions of fire and a small fan and heating element creates heat like a space heater. Enough to take the chill off.

Redwahine

Postby Sandersmr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 am

mtngal wrote:Interesting thread; gel fire places are new to me so I had had to do some reading! Turns out the gel isn't combustible so no concern re oxygen. Lacking a real fireplace I think I would be tempted in a house; but not an rv. As much as I love candles, I don't burn them in my rig either. Ummm though now that I'm thinking about it, maybe a candle on the picnic table would be nice!

Not Combustible just means the flash point is above a certain temperature. It won't spontaneously combust. But it burns and as it burns, it consumes oxygen. Any time you have a fire, that's a concern in a well-sealed area. Granted most trailers aren't that well-sealed, but you still have to be able to exchange the carbon dioxide, and more importantly, carbon monoxide that are formed when anything burns.

There are stories on a teardrop forum where in making their teardrops, they have gotten them so airtight, that they have run into real issues not opening a vent when running any kind of furnace or propane heater.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby bbbarker194 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the opinions. I am concerned about the oxygen. I have decided that as cool as they look, my RV is not the place for one.
bbbarker194

Postby drsolo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I just bought a DVD with fireplace fires and play that... LOL
Ingrid, retired teacher, home base = Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC conversion van (Big Bear)
http://weloveteaching.com/RV/RV.htm
drsolo

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos