Solar charger for cell phone, iPad, computer, etc.

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Solar charger for cell phone, iPad, computer, etc.

Postby Redwahine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I love to shop clearance sale racks, shelves. You just never know what you're gonna find!! While at Lowes I walked to the clearance rack in the back corner of the store and came across some great gizmos. I guess people in my part of town don't want free energy from the sun. I found these great small solar panels designed to charge your mobile phone, tablets, computers, lights, etc. I got all these for 60 - 70% off :D

I got 2 of these "back pack" solar panels, one for the iPhone and one for the iPad...or iPod, etc. There are USB ports to connect your device. You can charge the battery packs and use to charge the device latter or connect device to the solar panel direct and charge real time in the sun. List price $159.. I got for $59 each.

Then I saw the lighthouse lantern. Charge it by 110, car battery, solar panels. It has a flashing red light for emergency purposes. The lantern is LED lights, is bright and lasts for 6-8 hours. It also has USB sockets to charge devices. List price $54. I go 2 at $19.

On another trip I went back to that little corner of the store and I found this bigger solar panel that includes a bigger battery with an inverter (looks like a thermos and weighs 10 lbs). You can charge it from 110, car batteries or solar panels. You can then plug in 12 volt appliances, USB or 110 devices...like a computer. It comes with an LED lamp with long cord like a hanging lamp. List price $359. I got it for $125.

I hope I will be able to afford a solar set up on my rig. But until I can, I will be able to use these solar items to help boondocking possible 8-) 8-)

If you'd like more information about these products here is the website for GoalZero. http://www.goalzero.com/

Next time you're at Lowes check their clearance rack :D
Redwahine

Re: Solar charger for cell phone, iPad, computer, etc.

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice. I have a solar flashlight that I LOVE. Hadn't charged it in forever, and checked it the other day and it was still working. Haven't needed it here - but will be keeping it charged again when I head south again.

I purchased a charger that charges anything I can charge via usb - but it's not solar. However, after I charge it once, it will charge things several times before it drains. So I don't have to pull as much on a daily basis from my solar when boondocking. I love all the things they have today. Looks like you found some winners.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby WickedLady » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey, good shopping! I love all my solar gizmos.
WickedLady

Postby avalen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

oh yes, nifty items to have, I've done some research in the past on those type of items and had found some I'd like as well.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos