No Blind Spot Mirror

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

No Blind Spot Mirror

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:55 pm

I sometimes have blind spot problems in my little minivan so have a bigger concern about that being even worse in RV. Do any of you use a product such as this?

"The No Blind Spot Rear View Mirror.

This is the rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers to eliminate blind spots. The patented, seamless mirror has a 180° field of view (standard mirrors offer only 52°) that provides a distortion-free reflection of rear traffic across an entire five-lane highway, and it allows continuous monitoring of adjacent vehicles from the moment they begin to pass until they are visible in your peripheral vision. The mirror automatically reduces the headlight glare of trailing vehicles by 50%, clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives, and is entirely shatterproof."
This one is from
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/74978?source=CMPSHOP&cm_ven=FROOGLE and priced at $59.95
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: No Blind Spot Mirror

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 am

I always add these to any vehicle I buy and they are very inexpensive, under $5.00 for two, I put them along the inside of my side mirrors and they work great. They come in a couple of sizes and in round or this shape. After you adjust you can see the traffic on both sides and also the end of your back bumper when your backing up.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00043799/k-G ... g_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=COP864mnsa0CFcEUKgod-VV_Gg
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 am

My rig has mirrors similar to what BJ uses. I do think that you adjust to what tools you have. Being aware of where your "blind" spots might be is the first and major issues. Once you know, you know to double check those spots before you make a move in or out of a lane. ...And I don't like trusting that the other guy will do something reasonable while driving because often they don't! :roll: :lol:
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:08 pm

The "blindspot" mirror that came on my rv works great. I can see the cars passing at all times - if the mirrors are adjusted right. I didn't have to purchase anything extra.

The hard part - is detecting distance, because it makes them look closer, I get nervous about changing lanes. Nothing is perfect eh?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bertnspike » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 pm

bluepinecones wrote:I sometimes have blind spot problems in my little minivan so have a bigger concern about that being even worse in RV. Do any of you use a product such as this?

"The No Blind Spot Rear View Mirror.

This is the rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers to eliminate blind spots. The patented, seamless mirror has a 180° field of view (standard mirrors offer only 52°) that provides a distortion-free reflection of rear traffic across an entire five-lane highway, and it allows continuous monitoring of adjacent vehicles from the moment they begin to pass until they are visible in your peripheral vision. The mirror automatically reduces the headlight glare of trailing vehicles by 50%, clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives, and is entirely shatterproof."
This one is from
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/74978?source=CMPSHOP&cm_ven=FROOGLE and priced at $59.95

To answer your real question :lol: I have serious blind spots in my Honda Element and have found that the little 5$ stick on convex mirrors on my side mirrors solve the problem for me.
Susan, Dugie, Solo, Tiger, and Tico
in Music, the Gulf Stream Independence
with Fergus, the Element
bertnspike

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 pm

That is interesting, but my blindspot on my Honda is the wide posts on either side the windshield with factory installed visors around the front and top of the side windows.
AlmostThere

Postby Birdie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Some of couldn't use that because we don't have windows in the back of the rig. The RV's have mirrors that do the same thing as the little things you put on your personal vehicle. I have them on Herbie but didn't help me the other day when I backed into a 18" post behind me :oops: . Stuff happens!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks for the info, ladies.
My mini van is a Honda and also has those front post blind spots. Biggest problem for me however changing lanes.
Birdie - Think I'll work on a plan where I don't ever have to back up. I don't do that well even in the van and thoughts of backing RV are still very frightening.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby kdmac » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Certainly those mirrors are only good for a passenger vehicle where it has windows to reflect the images..as someone here mentioned RV's sure don't provide that. All you have directly behind you is your RV. But, If I were you I sure wouldn't hesitate to get one of the mirrors you refer to for your passenger car...the better equiped you are while operating vehicles the better your safety. I really like my mirror that is designed to see behind my trailer...it provided "normal" reflection, as opposed to that darned "fish-eye" I just think those are someone's really dumb idea. Those distorted mirrors are good mounted to a telephone pole in a "tight blind corner" of a neighborhood or a hospital corridor but certainly not a vehicle...oh, well, I guess they decdied not to ask me first before making millions of dollars selling them.

When I backup my trailer in peculiar places I get out and scope it all out first and have even made a mark in the dirt where I want my chosen tire to stop. I imagine we all "really check out" the situation we are about to enter into before "goin in", i.e., gas stations, stores, etc. We're the ones that control the verticle, we're the ones that control the horizontal...we can park these buggers on a dime and have change left over...know what I mean.
kdmac

Postby Birdie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm

I dropped something off at a site and jumped in the car and backed up to pull out on the park drive and bingo....there that 18" post was sitting. I knew it was there, I just did not remember being that close to it. :oops: Stuff happens every once in a while. It's just a car.... :x Poor baby.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos