Hydroflush

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Hydroflush

Postby Anniepoo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm always amazed by the number of RVers who are using gravity to dump. What a slow, messy, stinky mess!
I use a hydro-flush, and it keeps the sanitary hose so clean I actually store mine inside the RV.

The hydroflush is 45 degree elbow cast of some tough, clear plastic. It goes between your normal hose and the RV's connection.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... flush/2096

First off, it's clear, so you can tell what's going on in there and how much more you need to do to get everything out.

Second, there's a jet nozzle on the thing that's you attach to the dump's non-sanitary garden hose.
To use it is simple. You open the dump gate and let the majority of the black water run out.
Then you open the small valve on the hydro flush, and it acts like one of those jet nozzles on your hose at home, and blasts the remaining 'stuff' out. I leave it on for a minute or so, then turn it off, let everything drain, then on for a few seconds, off , on, off.... till the water comes out clean.
Close the black water dump gate, and open the gray one like you would to gravity dump.
Now close the graywater dump, and use the little valve to blow all the smell, yucky, ucky stuff down the drain!.
Unhook the garden hose, open the little valve to let air in, and the clear water drains out of the sanitary hose.
Unhook - your sanitary hose is clean and non stinky!

It's $20 or so, and far and away the best gadget I ever bought for an RV. I'm on my 3rd one only because I felt obligated to give the new owner mine when I sold my old RV's.
It's sturdy and well made. Strangely, it's got a pretty cheap valve attached to it. I replaced one valve with a nice bronze one, and would do it again if I could find another of those bronze valves.
When I die I'm gonna be cremated. I can't stand the idea of spending eternity in a box with no wheels.
Anniepoo

Re: Hydroflush

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Have used similar off and on for a couple years. Since I went to MX, didn't use anything except regular dumping and then adding water and flushing that way - and on occasion putting ice in to clean the sides, etc. This summer I bought the hydroflush because when I decided to put my other one on, it was a 45 degree angle and I needed a 90 degree here. Guess what? My water was clear right away. I guess doing things the "old-fashioned" way doesn't have to be messy or not clean the tank.

That said, I like occasionally using it and making sure. But with my experiences don't find it a necessity. Now, when I watched someone 4 years ago who had to spend about 45 minutes the first time to get hers clear - well, I don't think she ever did anything to keep her tank clean. Ewwwww.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Even though I have a tank washer, I still keep my version of the Hydro-flush (Flush King) on the rig so I can see when the tank is properly cleaned out. And if there is a, uh, um, plug of, uh, er, "stuff" I can use the back-pressure to break it loose.

Only RV'ers discuss this stuff in public. :lol:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby flick4411 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Ladies

Does this thing stay on the stay on the "output" valve all the time or do you have to take it off and put it on each time? I ask because I have a little trouble getting the hose twisted on tightly each time. Dunno if it's the angle or my weak hands, but I really struggle to get the bayonets on as tightly as I know it needs to be. If I had to twist this thing on AND twist on the hose too, I'm not sure I could...I'm such a weakling!!! :? :shock:

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm

flick4411 wrote:Ladies

Does this thing stay on the stay on the "output" valve all the time or do you have to take it off and put it on each time? I ask because I have a little trouble getting the hose twisted on tightly each time. Dunno if it's the angle or my weak hands, but I really struggle to get the bayonets on as tightly as I know it needs to be. If I had to twist this thing on AND twist on the hose too, I'm not sure I could...I'm such a weakling!!! :? :shock:

It shouldn't require strength to put any of these on. The part you need to tighten you can do when it's off - at least I can - on all of them. The other part just turns onto the little knobs.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Forestgal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 pm

I've had one heck of a time getting the bayonet mounting both locked on and then unlocked on several occasions, especially if it's a new fixture. It was suggested that I spray a little white lithium on the receiving end, but it makes me nervous to do that. So when it's been hard to get hooked on I do as much as I can, open the tank & hang on to the connection, just to be sure, until I'm done with the black tank.

Li, I would think that you might be able to leave an additional connector on depending on where your tank connections are. Doesn't work for me -- it would be too low to the ground & ruin everything. Each rig is different, so you'll have to check yours out to see if it would work.

Laura
Forestgal

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm sorry - was speaking of the end going on the rig. Going into the sewer on the ground - well, if I'm not connecting for longterm, but for simply dumping, I use one with no end most of the time, thread it into the hole, then use a rock (see them all the time at most dump stations, and then put a foot on my hose when I open the valve. Or another rock or two. Fast and easy. Most dump stations don't have a way to "fit" the hose on them. And even those that do, I do this way. When I'm staying, I fit it on - although here in PA, they don't have the fitted sewers I like, so I end up doing some sort of rock situation - that has worked since the end of March so far.
Beth
Bethers

Postby sharon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 am

flick4411 wrote:Ladies

Li, go to Wallyworld and get a pair of the cheap (about 4 bucks) gardening gloves that have rubber on the palms and fingers. They have some kind of design in the rubber. They'll give you about twice the gripping power and make it much, much easier to turn the fittings. Rubber dishwashing gloves will work, but not nearly as well. I keep a pair for when I fuel because my cap is brass, large, my hands are small and they slip on it, but every once in a while I have to grab them to undo the bayonet fitting if I get it on to tight. Works like a charm.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:34 pm

One of our first purchases and my husband is loving it. :)

Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby JudyJB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 pm

My rv came with a large white plastic wrench that you put over the sewer hose connection before you connect it. It makes it very easy to tighten the connection and is secure for dumping. When I am done, I use it to connect the end cap onto the sewer connection on the RV. It stays there until the next time i have to dump anythiing.

One of the things they did when I took my motorhome into service for warranty work was to enlarge the hole that goes out the bottom of the compartment. It used to have an offset that made it hard to feed the hoses in and connect them, but now it is a straight shot and MIUCH easier.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos