Ceramic heaters

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Ceramic heaters

Postby JoanE » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Did a search on this site but did not find specific info on these heaters. I've read elsewhere that having a small ceramic heater is advisable when you have FHU rather than using the roof unit. Since I will be doing some cold weather camping and have a dog, I want to be sure I have adequate heat, especially when I'm out of the rig.

Do you use one of these heaters, if so, which one and are you satisfied with it?

Joan
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Ceramic heaters

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm

When I am hooked up to electric in cold weather I use the smaller electric cube heaters. My rig is small and it doesn't take much to keep us warm unless the temps drop below about 15 degrees with a wind chill and then all bets are off and we will run the propane and electric or whatever it takes. :roll: :lol: I like the ones that automatically shut off if they get knocked over. I have picked up mine off the shelves of Walmart. Nothing fancy.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Walmart is the place to get the electric heaters......and the ones that shut off when tipped are the ones....Ernie's not one for the 5er to "chilly" so we've had a few..... :roll: No special brand..... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Until last winter I made do with one small electric heater (not ceramic) which finally died. I replaced it with a different kind I didn't like so much, so bought another one more similar to the first - so now have two. I use them when my electric is paid for (like when working at Amazon) instead of running the gas heater so much. I will run the gas heater still to take the immediate chill off occasionall, though. I elected these for their size and lightweight. Ceramic ones were heavier. The one thing I make sure they have is a temp control (usually just a dial) so that they don't stay on continuously.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 am

Will check out Walmart today. Thank you, all.
JoanE

Postby Birdie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

I, too, have two electric heaters. I had purchased at wal-mart a tall heater with heat controls and it rotates. I really like that and it has a remote, too. Then I received for Christmas a small cube and that works well blowing under the table on my feet and legs. When I travel in Spring and Fall I take the little cube for space reasons, then when I know it will be cold I bring the tall rotating heater. They both use 1800 watts so you really cannot run them, the furnace and the hotwater heater at the same time. Don't ask how I have that bit of cold knowledge.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby longdog2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

The small cube heaters are absolutely great and very reasonable at Walmart. One thing to remember though, if you have a heated area under your RV for water and waste tanks, you need to run the furnace occasionally to ensure heat is going there or you will lose more on frozen pipe repairs than what you saved on propane.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm

longdog2 wrote:The small cube heaters are absolutely great and very reasonable at Walmart. One thing to remember though, if you have a heated area under your RV for water and waste tanks, you need to run the furnace occasionally to ensure heat is going there or you will lose more on frozen pipe repairs than what you saved on propane.

No heated tanks for me - never have had freezing problems, and have been in very cold temps. You really have to be in freezing temps for pretty long (more than going below freezing overnight) for that to happen - at least in my experience. I do open my cabinet doors when it's really cold though - to make sure where the pipes are in the rig stays warm.

Now, that's my rig - can't speak for others.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Bethers wrote:No heated tanks for me - never have had freezing problems, and have been in very cold temps.

Beth, how cold was KY last year? I checked the almanac and it looked like it was below freezing in Nov and Dec. Not every day, mind you, but some of the time.
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Oh, we definitely got some cold temps, down into teens and 20's some nights. Was colder than they normally see it before January. But temps in this country are not what they normally are anywhere. There were only a couple days that didn't warm up too much - one of them being one of the honey wagon days - and they couldn't dump most of our tanks. Came back a few days later. And even a few heated tanks couldn't be dumped. Some had heat lamps on their tanks. I just waited the couple extra days that week.

We also got snow a few times. Peaches loved the snow. That said, I had my kayak out on the lake the first week of November - so it was probably in the 70's then. How quickly things change, eh?
Beth
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 am

If you have a heat strip in your air conditioner, I don't know why it would be better to run a ceramic heater than the heat strip. Some people say they are only good to about 40 degrees but mine keeps my rig warm in freezing weather. I have never been where it is in the 20's. My motorhome is small and I curtain off the cab area.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby JoanE » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:53 am

Martha, I am probably more worried about my clothing not being warm enough. I live in Florida and it is so difficult to imagine really cold temperatures. Whenever I visit my sister in NY in the winter months, I am always freezing. Just looking at my long sleeved t-shirts makes me break out in a sweat. :lol:
JoanE

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:50 am

I know what you mean about visiting someone in the North. I went to my brother's in Canada in October and thought I was going to freeze. I live in far South Louisiana and it doesn't cost us that much to keep our house at 77 and not have to wear polar fleece in the house.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Redetotry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:28 am

I had to giggle a bit when I read that you keep your heat set on 77 in the winter Martha, I would be way to hot summer or winter at 77. I guess it is true your blood gets thicker the farther north you live. I'm glad you mentioned about the heat strip I had forgot they did tell me I had one on my Pleasure Way. I have used a ceramic heater years ago in a very small travel trailer and it worked great. Still have it and now use it in my bathroom, it is 20 years old so a good investment I'd say.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos