Hoses and Reels

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Hoses and Reels

Postby JoanE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:39 pm

I find my 25 ft water hose a pain to store. While searching online for a reel solution, I saw a flat white hose mounted on a reel. It looks like a great solution. Anyone know of a reason it would not be?
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Hoses and Reels

Postby Getupngo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 pm

If you camp for long periods using "city water" (meaning using local water pressure vs. running the pump & using your water tank), I might inquire about how well the hose would hold up under pressure for a long time.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby avalen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 pm

I stayed hooked up at Roadrunner for 4 years and had the same hose sitting in the hot sun, its still fine although its a little weathered and I'm maybe going to replace it when I set my rv back up but I think 4 years and 24/7 is pretty good. You have a link for the hose you want to buy on a reel?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby longdog2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm

You need to make sure it is actually for drinking water and then you will have to completely unwind the hose to use it but I am sure you already know that. I always coil my hose up and then screw the ends together so nothing can get in the hose.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 pm

When I looked at one on a reel, I was told I had to let the entire hose out to use it. And I didn't know where I'd store the reel. But they also had the flat water hose at Camping World not on a reel. I'm considering getting it next time. I have discovered my original water hose was of a softer, more pliant material and I had no problem rolling it up. The one I have now is way too stiff and is what I usually find in stores now. I don't like it at all. Pain in the butt. :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm

CW also has a hose called a never kink hose. I bought one and LOVE it! It is very soft and pliable, rolls up easily for storage. I need to buy another one to use when I need a bit longer distance.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Our first water hose, many, many years ago, was the flat/roll-up kind. Not sure what could have changed in how they now make them, but we hated it. Yes, it had to be completely unrolled it, AND it seemed to kink easily.
AlmostThere

Postby Birdie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 pm

I have a 10, 25 and 50 foot length of the "Never Kink" , but they do kink. I am considering cutting the 50' into and having two 25 feet and the 10 feet. I did have to buy a stinky 20' at a campground when I only had the 25' as it would not reach the faucet. That's why I got the 50'...was really not using the noodle. But I love my 10' hose as it fits so many times. I just never thought of that before and would drag out the 25' every time.

I looked at the flat hose and really wanted to try it, but then the more I thought about unrolling/rolling it I decided unrolling the 25 or even 50 foot would be easier to roll back up. I just put a little bungee around them and I have one spot (small storage area that fits all 3 hoses and other water stuff) that I put all the water things except the filter and I put that in the kitchen sink. I used to hook them together but now I spray (bleach water mixture) on the ends and let the water exit before I make all the connections. So maybe I'll get some 'repair connectors' and make the change to the big hose this month. Don't need a big reel to carry around.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby JoanE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 am

I've considered a shorter length than the 25' I currently have. So far I have only needed the longer length once. My hose is stiff and definitely kinks. What I do need is a longer sewer hose.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:52 pm

I have a 25' white hose with the blue stripe that says Legacy on it. I don't remember where I got it, maybe at Walmart. It is easy to roll up and isn't bad about kinking. Years ago I had one of the flat hoses and I didn't like it. It was red so probably wasn't for drinking water. You had to unroll the whole thing and you couldn't roll it in loops on the ground or it would be full of kinks. It was easy to store because it was only about a foot square and 2 inches wide. I bet we still have it somewhere. lol I keep my water hose in my shower because I only have one outside compartment. I don't want my sewer stuff and water hose in the same place. I have one of the 10' hoses in one of my cabinets and it has never been open. I seldom stay more than 2 days in one place so I just fill up my tank and use my pump if I don't have enough hose.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos