Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Vickie, I don't have the link I got for Sharon - which she used (free) to connect her smartphone - but pm her and I bet she still has it. I used a usb cord with my phone, as I didn't have the bluetooth on my old computer. Some of the carriers want you to get bigger data packages to tether - but they don't know if you are doing it and you are paying them for "unlimited" data on the phone, so actually you can have more data than you can with an aircard. Weird, eh? My next phone will be a Droid - and I'l probably get the GPS for it and use it to tether - and not need a separate gps or aircard. I love Pete (from the single's forum) apps on his Droid. And the gps was great - he spoke to the phone and it spoke back with directions. So much easier than programming my gps. But I'm also wanting that new rver's gps - so who knows - hahaha - too many toys, even when we downsize.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm

[quote="Bethers"] I love Pete (from the single's forum) apps on his Droid. And the gps was great - he spoke to the phone and it spoke back with directions. So much easier than programming my gps.quote]

Do you remember the name of the app?
AlmostThere

Postby sharon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm

The name of the app is PDANET. Beth found it for me at http://junefabrics.com/android/ for $16. Vickie, it's for a smart phone, not an iphone. I have a Droid X. I tether the phone to my computer with the charge cord that comes with the phone (it comes apart with a USB on one end). Nothing else to buy. Yes, I have to tether, not a big deal, but that way I don't pay Verizon a monthly fee for using it. It just uses my data plan, and it's 3G. I have Verizon, and I pay for the least amt of data while I'm at home, then if I'm out of town and using the phone to go online, I just up the data for $15 for that month. Naturally, the first time I wanted to use it, I had no Verizon service where I was at...Bullhead City, right across from Laughlin....it figures! LOL!

Here's a utube on how to do it, it's really quite simple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuV65E5YtQ

Oh yeah, you can get the PDANET free, but the bought one is a better version. And for a flat fee of 16$, it's quite a deal.

On edit: After going back to utube, I see that there is an app for iphones...you might want to explore that option, too, but aren't iphones more expensive than smart phones to purchase and higher monthly fees? At least that was my understanding.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Sharon the iPhones range from $49-$299! My niece just bought her and hubby a "4" so I might see if she wants to sell her "3". We prefer AT&T, had Verizon for years, but can't use it in the house, (have to walk towards the street and is still iffy then) nor at my sister's camp, where we go often. I just found that AT&T had more coverage than any other company in our area. The data plans (added to your phone) start at 200 MB-$15, 2 GB-$25 & 4 GB-$45 where the air card is 5 GB-$60.

Beth, Sharon, Laura if my laptop already has bluetooth, I won't need that app to tether, will I? Sorry for all the questions.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
Bethers wrote: I love Pete (from the single's forum) apps on his Droid. And the gps was great - he spoke to the phone and it spoke back with directions. So much easier than programming my gps.quote]

Do you remember the name of the app?

I'll ask him and let you know.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Here's an article with the step-by-step for tethering an Iphone. Things might have changed, but it's probably still pretty much the same for the initial set-up without buying a tethering plan from the carrier, and just a data plan.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/activate- ... jailbreak/
Beth
Bethers

Postby Excel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Okay...Hate to admit my lack of knowledge of today's communication devices...but would like input anyhow as maybe it's time I became a part of 2011...So said...here are my questions...
My cell phone is ordinary & old...(just checked & I bought it in 2004)...It works fine...does not have blue tooth. I do not text & do not use my cell phone unless I'm in the car or traveling. Never use it while driving as the ticket for doing so is very expensive (they tell me)....Anyhow, thought about getting a NEW phone with all the bells & whistles & figured out that 1) probably don't need all the bells & whistles, 2) probably couldn't figure out how to use half of what's available on them & 3) don't know if I can afford the mo. fees. Right now I have Verizon (& really like the coverage)...I pay $47.00 a mo. for 450 min......being as I don't use it accept occasionally, that suits me. When I travel I just call Verizon & ask them to up my min. for a month...works fine for me. Now.......my laptop just crashed & it's the computer I take on the road with me. I'm going to buy a new one within the next month. When traveling I've always had to either find a wi-fi hot spot or use the unsecured wi-fi in whatever park I'm in. By tethering....does that mean if I have a Droid phone with internet access on it (which would make my mo. bill a whole lot more)...would I then somehow be able to attach by wire or usb port or? so that my computer would have internet access...????
I know I'm way behind the times & not up to date with equipment but...would really like to get educated & move forward.........Any & all info. would be much appreciated...
Excel

Postby sharon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 pm

When oh when am I gonna learn to copy before I post?????? :cry: :cry: Thanks Beth, you answered Vickie's question which I tried to do and it disappeared. :cry:

Yes, Char, with a smart phone or iphone, you can connect to a laptop and go on-line anywhere you have service for your phone. With the PDANET, it only costs you data, no extra charge from Verizon unless you go over the data allowance. You can up your data from $15 per month for the minimum (you have to get the minimum on smart phones) to unlimited for $30 per month. The unlimited can be turned on and off as needed.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Bethers wrote:Here's an article with the step-by-step for tethering an Iphone. Things might have changed, but it's probably still pretty much the same for the initial set-up without buying a tethering plan from the carrier, and just a data plan.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/activate- ... jailbreak/

Thanks for the link Beth, but I don't think that's good any more. It was written in June 2009, by reading the comments at the bottom, AT&T must have done something so that it no longer works on the iPhones.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

You can still tether, Vickie, just maybe don't need to follow those steps. I don't have a smartphone now, so can't tell you exactly which steps to take.

Lenora, Pete told me the app came on his phone, but he believes it's a Google app. Sharon told Pete it's not on her phone and he told her to go to the apps store, and it's there.
Beth
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks, Beth. Google came on my iPhone but it doesn't include GPS. Unless I am overlooking something. ;)

The google app on the ipad I haven't tried until just now and it says it can find locations by pictures. Hmmmm! Will have to check into that. Google on both ipad and iphone use voice so I don' have to type what I want searched.
AlmostThere

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 pm

As we are Full-Timers, here's our story and we're sticking to it cause it works for us..... :D

We've had Verizon cell service since 2001...have never had any issues anywhere, except here at our summer campground....leaves and mountains kinda' does that to ya'....
but have had Verizon Air Card since 2007 after tethering the cell phone to the laptop for a year....have never had hookup/connection issues even here in the woods...yes, it is only 1 bar, and yes, it comes and goes depending on the rain, but can get out to send e-mails and post on here and Facebook....We don't have texting on the phone, as we'd rather hear your voice.....and have the $61 plan on the air card, which is almost unlimited for us as we never use the whole allotted time....and it's hooked up and running almost all the time...(Ernie gets a military discount from Verizon for the air card.....which makes it $51/mo.) I really believe it is an individual's choice on all this......Our total bill per month for both is $99......living on a fixed income, it works for our budget....

Okay, that's my 2 cent worth on Air Cards............

As far as Satellite internet....I still believe it is too expensive for us....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby sharon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 am

Bethers wrote:You can still tether, Vickie, just maybe don't need to follow those steps. I don't have a smartphone now, so can't tell you exactly which steps to take.
Lenora, Pete told me the app came on his phone, but he believes it's a Google app. Sharon told Pete it's not on her phone and he told her to go to the apps store, and it's there.

Beth, I have the GPS app, I didn't have the app that tells you what the constellations in the sky are and pinpoints them for you. Now I have that one, but it's cold and windy outside so it's going to have to wait until it's a lot warmer before this wuss will try it! :D

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm

sharon wrote:
Bethers wrote:You can still tether, Vickie, just maybe don't need to follow those steps. I don't have a smartphone now, so can't tell you exactly which steps to take.

Beth, I have the GPS app, I didn't have the app that tells you what the constellations in the sky are and pinpoints them for you. Now I have that one, but it's cold and windy outside so it's going to have to wait until it's a lot warmer before this wuss will try it! :D

I stand corrected. But I bet the GPS app is in the droid store, also. I think Lenora might be looking for apps for an IPhone? In which case this is different.
Beth
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

I have the Droid X and my navigation comes with the Droid. It is great to speak your destination and it comes right up. I have the dock for it so it works just like my GPS. Also charges my phone battery while it works. I did buy a beanbag mount that I can affix the dock to as in the MH the windshield is too far away. I find that the navigation system on the Droid is wayyyyy better than my Garmin as it seems like it is current in its maps unlike my GPS that are old even on the new ones. I have a new freeway interchange at my house (for about 2 years now) and the Garmin is still lost but the Droid tells me right where to go. The screen on the Droid X is awesome too and not difficult to read at all. I dont know anything about the IPhone but I love my Droid, can ya tell. Also has a good camera that I can just grab the phone off the dock and snap a pic if needed. Bluetooths to my car system easily so I am good to go. Now if I can just GO somewhere....soooooon.

Pete and I have the same phone and we both love our phones. I don't tether as I too have the mifi which I also love. Its great when I am traveling with friends and we can both get on the internet at the same time. Like Beth said it didn't cost any more than the regular air card.

Karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos