Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Postby Excel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 pm

When I was looking on the Verizon website, they had several 'droids' ... but different mfgrs. could you tell me which droid you have please?
Thanks in advance....still in never, never land as I'm 7 years (at least) behind with all the electronics.....really feel stupid............. :(
Excel

Postby Birdie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:57 pm

I have an Air Card and older cell phone and I use ATnT. I have service most places that I have been. Two places I can think of that I had difficulty and one was down boondocking with Beth and Liz at the fishing hole in FL - it was so marginal that I didn't attempt it the 2nd day. The other place is at Choke Canyon St Pk near Three Rivers here in TX. My Air Card is $60 for 5 GB and my cell is $30 for 450 mins with all unused mins rolling over for 12 months. This has been my setup since 2/2009 and it fits me just fine. Will be having to replace my 2007 cell phone some day as i really have dropped it too many times. However, I really only want a basic simple phone today but then the morrow could bring a change in my thinking.

I have been researching the antenna's and amplifliers but haven't decided on which way to go yet. With those I think I could probably be good about anywhere. Will decide before the Alaska trip.

As Lori said.....this is my story and I am sticking to it today.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby sharon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Char, I have the Droid X...from Verizon....not sure of the manufacturer.

Nancy...I had the Truckers antenna and amp for my verizon phone in Alaska....worked some places but there are still lots and lots of areas there that no matter what you have you're not gonna get service. We spent 2 weeks in Ninilchik and had to go into Homer for phone calls and wifi. I can recommend a great coffee house there with free wifi (really good coffee) and a great hair salon right next door. Best haircut I had the whole trip. LOL!

And just south of Ninilchik there's a great beach with dry camping where the eagles hang out. It's where a lot of the fishing boats put in, plenty of fish cleaning debris and the eagles think it's their own private buffet. Tons of eagle feathers to be had just walking the beach....just remember that you need to mail them home, can't take them across the border. I spent hours there just watching the water and birds.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Birdie wrote:I have been researching the antenna's and amplifliers but haven't decided on which way to go yet. With those I think I could probably be good about anywhere. Will decide before the Alaska trip.

As Lori said.....this is my story and I am sticking to it today.

When in SD before my AK trip, I bought the most highly recommended antenna/booster. Had AT&T like you at the time. They promised they'd take it back if I didn't see a difference. I got NO BETTER service with it - they even came out and checked and saw the same. So they took it back. I know people swear by them. They couldn't explain why I didn't see any boost. I was tethering my AT&T phone at the time and it worked good in AK - when it worked. When out in the boonies, the antenna won't work. In marginal areas it should help - but as I said above, it didn't for me. (We do believe it had something to do with the computer I was using then - that computer picked up signals when the one I have now doesn't-- weird).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

My Droid X is by Motorola thru Verizon

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Excel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Looking seriously at the Droid X. Gonna go to the nearest Verizon store to check it out (not buy but check it out)...I've been educated in a number of things in my quest for a new phone, (God Bless Sharon...she always comes through... :P ) I now know the difference between Smart phones & I phones...I phones are the Apples & Smart phones are the other. My son-in-law explained it so I could understand... :| Think of it as Macs & PC's....And 'Droid' is simply the 'software' or OS (Operating System) on the phone. In other words it doesn't matter if it's a Motorola or a Samsung or whatever, if it has the Droid OS that's all that counts....I've been told the GPS on Droids is terrific (& that you talk to it & it talks back to you) & they take super great pictures...Daughter says she has an app that reads the bar codes & then tells her where she can buy the product for the least $$$....I also read where you have to be sure the phone you buy will 'tether'...also that it has Blue Tooth....Isn't Blue Tooth the ability to talk on the phone hands free??? Anyhow, thanks to all for giving me info...I'll be hounding the salespeople today & then checking the web to see if there's better deals there...& Yep! Sharon I'll e-mail you before I sign up for any plan so you can guide me to what's the best deal...Kinda exciting... :D
Excel

Postby sharon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Buying a new phone or computer is like buying a new car....PITA! Don't believe everything the salesperson tells you and do your homework! And Char...I am NOT an expert on the Droid or the plans, I just know what so far is working for me....I'll know more after I do my annual trek east. If I haven't pulled all of my hair out and I'm not on meds it's probably gonna work ok! :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 pm

One of my friends here got a new phone yesterday - an android. Had it at work tonight and we were having fun with a Cat app. If you have a droid, check out that app (it's free). I laughed so hard. The dang thing turns it's ear to listen to you and repeats you - well, you just have to see it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Hina » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a Sprint 3G/4G mobile hot spot, just a little square black thingy. http://support.sprint.com/support/devic ... 4480001prd Been using it for almost a month, and no problems at all. I like the simplicity. I just get 3G here, but it's as fast as my Comcast Xfinity when I had landline.

I explained to the Sprint guys I had an online business, which involved occassional heavy uploading and downloading of MP3s, PDFs, Videos, html, etc, etc, so they really thought I would need the 10 GB data plan.... It's been 3 weeks, I have uploaded 6 30-60 minute MP3s, uploaded dozens of web pages, uploaded ebooks, downloaded MP3 albums from Amazon, and I still have used maybe just 3 GB! Hmmm, I guess I can use laptop #2 to watch You Tube all day, since I don't have TV! (I should, I'm in a 2 year contract at $90 a month, so I better get my gigabytes worth!)

I guess when I really hit the road though, I may need satellite, though the experts tell me satellite is slower than 3G/4G.

Jane
:geek:
Hina

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 pm

New things are coming out every day now. Ijust got a new droid phone and it has hot spot on it. I can use it like you do mi fi and connect as many as 6 computers to it. Go shopping and do a lot of talking. You will find what is best suited for you. With the addition of iphone the other companies are scrambling to match A T & T, Verizon and Sprint.

Sprint tells me they are adding a large territory and will be able to match verizon shortly.. So get out there and look.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:44 pm

I went to the Verizon store about a month ago to see about a mifi. They want $60 a month for 4G with that but with a tablet you can get 3G for $30($35 with tax). I got the tablet. I can get online with the tablet or use it to connect my computer. I was getting 2 bars in Arkansas. It worked pretty good but a little slow. Worked better in Texas.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Martha my phone 4 G is very similiar to the tablet you have. Amazing the progress they are making now. Mine is a Motorola droid
Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Hina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 am

Look at a Verizon 4G map, and make sure you will get the coverage before paying for 4G; here in Santa Rosa CA, all day on the radio it's Verizon 4G commercials, but you can't get any 4G in N.Cal. except in Sacramento or SF. It verges on false advertising, they lead people to believe they will get 4G when they can't. Sprint it's one price, 3G/4G whatever you can pick up.

Jane
Hina

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 am

Hina wrote:Look at a Verizon 4G map, and make sure you will get the coverage before paying for 4G; here in Santa Rosa CA, all day on the radio it's Verizon 4G commercials, but you can't get any 4G in N.Cal. except in Sacramento or SF. It verges on false advertising, they lead people to believe they will get 4G when they can't. Sprint it's one price, 3G/4G whatever you can pick up.

Jane

Exactly why I'm still using my 3g - as they keep wanting to take money to upgrade me, when I haven't been staying in a 4g coverage area since at least March. Hmmmm ... just where is 4g? Mainly the big cities, where I'm not.

And I'd switch to Sprint if they'd work on their coverage area - plus they are now restructuring their pricing - no more unlimited data that they were advertising until the day before they changed it.
Beth
Bethers

Previous

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos