Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Postby JoanE » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm

I have been pretty much tethered to my office as far as technology except for my iPhone but now, with the travel looming before me, I am betwixt what I should get. Problem is, not sure I truly understand the differences between the above. Read this guy's blog (http://www.fulltime.hitchitch.com/may2010-1.html) and he is saying he can tether his smart phone to get 3G on his computer or he can use his satellite when available. Can I tether my iPhone to my computer? I didn't think I could. From what I learned at Best Buy, the MIFI is good if you have cell service otherwise you are out of luck. Using the service at the cg this past weekend was very tedious. I had to be in one location to use it, not at my campsite. It was free but...

Some of you fulltimers have one or the other (or two). Why do you have it and do you love it or wish for something else? I'm thinking I may need the satellite service plus my iPhone.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Air Card vs MIFI vs Satellite

Postby Forestgal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Joan, I can tether my Droid X to my computer if I need to. There's no contract involved, and I can turn it on/off with a phone call & get a pro-rated rate. It all depends on your carrier (I have Verizon) and what their restrictions are. I have to be mindful of how much data I use, especially if I'm only tethering for a short time (maybe a week). But It's a wonderful alternative to buying an air card or MIFI since I'm not on the road full-time.

I know a couple of gals have given up their air card because they're where they can tap into their campground's wi-fi, which is free. Maybe they'll weigh in with their experiences.

Laura
Forestgal

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I have an aircard, and I love it. (Verizon) Although I pay a monthly fee, I can access the internet anywhere with my own
secure connection. I can boot up at places like Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, libraries, etc for free on their wifi's but its not
secure enough for me. Would rather pay the monthly fee on my aircard and be safe. I don't know anything about tethering
but I know everyone that has a droid has internet access on the droid. No droid for me though. I also don't have satellite
but I do have a tuner for tv that hooks up to my laptop and I can watch tv on my laptop if I want to. (haven't done it yet) It
will pick up all the free over the air tv stations. Someday I will have to check that out. Bethers has a mifi and she loves it, she
will probably chime in on it when she sees this.
My aircard btw has 5gigabytes per month as the limit, I have barely used over 2 and have played lots of games and watched
some videos alot over the past month. I do keep track of that so I don't go over. I could get 3g for less per month but that
would entail upgrading my equipment (so they say) and that means I'd have to spend the money to purchase new equipment.
I'll wait until this one breaks and worry about it then. I know its a lot to sort out and think about but in the end what you
want is connection and most likely for the least amount of $$ invested.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby pattyk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I use Verizon broadband and Verizon cell phone. The broadband is what I use at home also. I have had very good service from them. There have only been a few places where I could not get service. I think now that I have the truckers antenna and amplifier, I probably could get service in those areas.

At the campground I am in for the summer, there is no cell service at all. So with my truckers antenna I am able to go online and have cell service.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Patty, what truckers antenna did you get?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm

You can tether any smartphone - with or without permission. If you don't want to tether, you can get an air card. I have the MiFi - but it's only necessary if you want to be able to have more than one computer on line at the same time. I don't need that, but it didn't cost me more to get it, so I did when I switched to using an aircard. As to satellite - you'd have to have the satellite dish and be paying for the wifi service to do that. I can't imagine why someone with that would also have an aircard or need to tether - unless they do the tethering when not near or at their rig.

Next time I get a new phone, I'll probably go back to a smartphone and tethering over the aircard - but who knows. My mind changes constantly. I changed from tethering to a "not-smart" phone and the Mifi when I switched from AT&T to Verizon. Tethering with AT&T and I could still take phone calls. With Verizon I couldn't do that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm

How exactly do you tether a smart phone to your computer? I know, I'm dumb! :lol: Like, what equipment, cords, program, etc. would you need?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Forestgal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Vicki, there's some software that comes with my Droid X that allows me to tether. It uses bluetooth, so no additional wires. With my Blackberry I could either use it via bluetooth or hook it up with a USB cable.

If your computer has bluetooth it'll discover your smartphone and you're set to go. Hooking it up with a USB is the same thing -- recognizing a new device. You just need whatever software to turn your phone into a wi-fi connection.

I usually turn mine on when I'm camping in a place that I know doesn't have any kind of wi-fi. That way I can go online if I want. But I can also just use my Droid to check stuff online too. It's just that typing is easier on my netbook. Lazy, extravagant, eccentric -- whatever -- I like having options. ;)

Laura
Forestgal

Postby VickieP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Forestgal wrote:If your computer has bluetooth it'll discover your smartphone and you're set to go.
Laura

Would that be the same as my wi-fi catcher on my computer?
VickieP

VickieP

Postby Forestgal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 am

VickieP wrote:
Forestgal wrote:If your computer has bluetooth it'll discover your smartphone and you're set to go.
Laura

Would that be the same as my wi-fi catcher on my computer?

Nope. They're two different systems(?). One has to do with wireless routing and the other has to do with "talking" to other bluetooth thingys. Some printers are bluetooth-capable as are mouses and keyboards.

Maybe someone can explain it better than me.

Laura
Forestgal

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am

So how would you know if your computer has bluetooth capabilities?
VickieP

VickieP

Postby Forestgal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

VickieP wrote:So how would you know if your computer has bluetooth capabilities?

Ask it. ;)

There's a way to find out, but I can't remember. If you go into your control panel you ought to see a bluetooth icon. If you don't see one I don't think you've got it. BUT you can buy a bluetooth "dongle" for $30-40 and make just about any USB port bluetooth-capable. I've done it on my netbook and on my printer. Works like a charm.
Forestgal

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 am

Forestgal wrote:
VickieP wrote:So how would you know if your computer has bluetooth capabilities?

Ask it. ;)

There's a way to find out, but I can't remember. If you go into your control panel you ought to see a bluetooth icon.

Cool, I have one! :lol:

Since we were lost without internet on the trip to Crater of Diamonds, made it hard to find campgrounds for us, I've been crunching numbers. I think the best route to go, would be instead of paying $60. a month for AT&T aircard and only use it when we're in the rv, I'll probably get a iPhone. Since you are required to have a data plan and the middle level is $29. that would be cheaper and make more sense to me to have it all the time and use it on my computer when I need to. Or that's my plan of the day, :lol: I'll have to wait a few months (or more).
VickieP

VickieP

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 am

I finally dumped Verizon, both phone and aircard and went with Cricket for both now. No contract with Cricket and their coverage is just about as good as Verizon's. The phone has unlimited phone and text for $37 a month including tax. The aircard is $40 a month for the plan I use (I don't watch TV on my computer or download movies or music) and if you want to not use it just don't pay for the month and they shut it off. then when you want to turn it back on call them and for a $15 fee they turn it back on. Easy peasy.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby pattyk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 am

Ava, it's a Wilson truckers antenna.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos