GPS for RVers

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

GPS for RVers

Postby bluepinecones » Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 am

SunshinecrusierTN sent this link to me. Since she is on her way to LV, thought I'd go ahead and post it for the rest of you.

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/randmcnally/50171
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: GPS for RVers

Postby Paulette » Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 am

I've been waiting for one of these that was more affordable. I know they have ones for truckers, but they are about 2x the price of this one. So I have ordered it and will let you all know what I think of it after I get and use it. Hopefully I'll get it before I leave for Houston the end of june.

Paulette
Paulette

Postby kdmac » Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 pm

That is great. I wonder if it gives you more advanced warning for upcoming turns...If I relied on my Sony GPS for turns when in towns it would be catastrophic. Sure like the noticifation it gives for propane, dumps, etc...that is great.
kdmac

Postby Excel » Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 pm

My Garmin has been terrific but now that it's older, I cannot get map updates & of course it never was set up to give out RV info. I'm thinking this one, if it works as they're advertising, will be absolutely worth every dollar. Any further info from those who have purchased it, please share....
Excel

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Wow! I like the scenic trips part.
Yes, updates from any users would be appreciated.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm

I've been keeping my eyes on this one also. I love Rand McNally atlases and use them with my GPS, so I liked that they are the ones to come out with this one. I did email them about whether it covers MX and Canada - they didn't mention MX, but it does cover Canada and Alaska. I specifically asked about the Yukon, and like they avoided my question on MX, they avoided that question. I asked because Liz and I and others have discovered that the section of Canada in the Yukon on the way to AK isn't in most atlases. I was lucky that it was in one of mine (an rv atlas, that I was given and rarely used - came in handy). MX not being on it isn't a deal breaker for me at this time, but had been looking to make sure it would be on my next GPS.

So, Paulette, would like the user's update, myself. And maybe them not answering that question doesn't mean it's not covered?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 am

I'll be sure to let everyone know when I get it and use it. It has to be better peace of mind than a gps for car.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 17, 2011 5:25 pm

They had a special on the news about GPS's. Saying they weren't all that reliable, especially in rural areas away from freeways and big cities. It was interesting but mostly reiterated what you gals have already said about them. :D
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 pm

AlmostThere wrote:They had a special on the news about GPS's. Saying they weren't all that reliable, especially in rural areas away from freeways and big cities. It was interesting but mostly reiterated what you gals have already said about them. :D

About time the news folks listened to us, eh?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cpatinjones » Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Interesting!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby JoanE » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Paulette wrote:I'll be sure to let everyone know when I get it and use it. It has to be better peace of mind than a gps for car.

Yes, please give us a report. I was about to purchase a GPS but would like to hear your thoughts on this one before I make a decision. Used a friend's for a road trip once and I loved it. Named it Gladys but boy was she cranky when we made detours!
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Ladyhawk » Fri May 20, 2011 7:03 am

JoanE wrote:Named it Gladys but boy was she cranky when we made detours!

:lol: Reminds me of my last GPS (Susie). She sounded annoyed when I ignored her and then gave me the silent treatment.
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri May 20, 2011 2:16 pm

"Maggie" is very polite and doesn't give me any crap if I take a different route. However, she does try to take me on wild goose chases at times and I swear I can hear her giggling in the background!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos