iPad

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

iPad

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Does anyone use an iPad and if so, can you do a review on it?
Thanks!
AlmostThere

Re: iPad

Postby avalen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't have one but I want one. One of the guys at work has one and its just too cool.
I'd have to load it with all sorts of games and it would be my version of somebody
elses nook. Comparing it to a nook of course that holds all kinds of books, the Ipad
can do that too but for me it would carry all kinds of games so I could sit and play
games anytime. It would probably be a very expensive toy for me cause they cost
around 5 to 6 hundred $$. But just think of the space I'll save in the rv by having
all my games in one little pocketbook type thingy. :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I was looking online and they start at $399 and 14.99 a month for the 250 gb data plan. That is probably just wifi. I'm sure the 3G plan is more. My DIL said that on March 8th they are coming out with their newest one. I forget everything it can do but did remember that it would work with wireless printers. My son loves his. I lay on the sofa and play games on my iPhone but the small screen tires my eyes.

Kindle - saw today that the electronics dept in my grocery store now sells Kindles!
AlmostThere

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Check out other brands rather than Ipads. There are lots of these things around that I'm sure are cheaper. I paid half for my Libre reader than the Kindle and can download books from lots of places whereas the Kindle ONLY can download from Amazon.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Karen, do you know of another company making something similar so I can compare?

The iPad is basically a tablet computer. I'm liking the fact that you can use the iPad itself to turn on or off your data service plan, no contracts, no phone calls. Monthly rates 14.99 for 250 GB and $25 for the 3G, and you can even switch plans. It keeps track of your usage and lets you know when you are getting low. Would be perfect to take on trips.

I have no problem with using only Amazon for my Kindle. They have everything that I need at comparable prices and I can download from anywhere.
AlmostThere

Postby relaxing101 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:04 am

Lenora -
I have an iPad and and iPhone and love both of them. I purchased the 16gb iPad and love the fact that it is so lightweight and still gives me so much functionality. And I love the picture quality! And, Ava, the game resolution is awesome!!

I have not purchased a data plan because I have not had a need for it really. I have WiFi in the house so I just use the wireless capability at home and many of the places that I go (hospital with mother and cancer center with roommate) have free WiFi so I can also use it there. If I do get to travel and want full connection, I can sign up for the $14.99 data plan for a month and then cancel it when I return until I get ready to travel again. I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet but have checked it out and it is all done right from the iPad.

It is so much more than an eReader. I check my emails, search the web, go to Facebook, coordinate my calendars and shopping lists, etc. I am pretty much of a geek anyway but I do like my iPad. I'm only afraid that the new one will have more neat features and cost me some more money!!

Bonnie
Life is a maze full of choices! Choose your path wisely!
relaxing101

Postby shnz821 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 am

You may also want to check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab from Verizon. It's only 7", so you can hold it nicely in one hand (much better for reading in my opinion), and with a simple cover on it, it is no larger than most date books like Franklin Covey types.
I got mine on sale through Costco's cell phone booth and saved $100 over what the Verizon store was charging, plus Costco doesn't charge a restocking fee if you decide you want to return it, and they have a 90 day return policy, wheras Verizon's is 30 days and $70 restocking fee.
You get setup with a $20/month 3G service for 1Gig a month, but you can cancel that right away with no penalties (also no contract required on this item!). The tab has WiFi and 3G built in. I find that I use WiFi 90% of the time, as I have it at home and work, but the 3G is nice to have when I'm out at auctions or shopping, and want to compare prices online. Again the size is perfect for me, so I can do most things one handed.
I had bought my mother a Nook for Christmas, and to be honest, we were a little disappointed with the reading screen and the need for a book light, if you are reading in poor lighting. The built in e-reader on the tablet, is backlit, so no concerns about lighting. Plus my mother has a touch of glaucoma and she found that trying to read on the Kindle (my brother has one) and Nook were too difficult for her eyes....we also talked to two other ladies in their 60's-70's who experienced the same problem.
Anyway, just my 2 cents. If you have any questions about the tablet, feel free to ask.
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 am

Bonnie, I wonder if there will be an app to upgrade your iPad? At least somewhat..
shnz, thanks for the review on the Samsung. Sounds like a neat little device!

Thanks for your input!
AlmostThere

Postby shnz821 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:23 am

The original iPad will get software updates, the same as the new iPad 2 will. However, the iPad 2 will have a few new features (built in) that the original won't. It all depends upon what you want to do with it. Bonnie - it sounds like you are happy with your current one, so I doubt you need to jump ship for the iPad 2 in a few months. There will be another one out in summer of '12 too, if they keep them coming like the iPhone. No use spending your money right now. Let other do so, and then check the web forums to see how happy they are with the switch...sometimes the newest device isn't always "better". :)

Oh and just a tip on the data plans - find a friend who has the data plan first and ask them if you can play around with it for a bit. One thing I noticed right off the bat with both my tablet, and a friend's iPad, the WiFi is MUCH faster than the 3G! Honestly, if I didn't need the 3G for when I'm at auctions and estate sales in the middle of nowhere, I would have dropped the plan from the start. But something is better than nothing I suppose...

I'll be happy when these companies catch up to the data transfer speeds available in other countries. The people i work with in Japan, UK and Europe all say our devices operate at a snails pace to what they are used to over there.
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:33 am

I'm always leery of using WiFi as I feel my info is not protected as well. Any thoughts on that, shnz?
AlmostThere

Postby shnz821 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:52 pm

The best way is to setup your own VPN. There are a few services you can sign up with to do this, JiWire or Boingo are two providers. I received help from a friend in setting mine up, and was provided a way to access it for free (it was a favor and not something I can share unfortunately, sorry!).

Otherwise, you can make sure all of your file sharing options are turned off, make sure your firewall is turned on, and just be careful who's WiFi signal you link into.

Another little tool I like to use is called Spybot. It gives me a little popup alert if anyone is trying to transmit a signal to my device or send malware. You can even set it to have a manual approval each time a website tries to load a cookie on your computer.
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 pm

shnz/Bonnie, I have a computer tech friend who owns a business that recently switched over to the MAC and iPads. I've emailed him to see if he can get me an iPad discount thru his business. Fingers crossed. :) I know i could have phoned him with all my questions but he flies all over the world so I never know when a phone call would be appreciated. ;)
AlmostThere

Postby JoanE » Tue May 17, 2011 2:29 pm

I will probably get an IPad. Saw a guy using his and asked a few questions. He owns a business and basically runs it using his IPad. There are so many applications for it now. You can get word processors, spread sheets, financial mgmt. He did say there are a few occasions when he needs his laptop but those occassions are rare. He also uses Dropbox to save his files online. You can get some free storage at Dropbox. After a certain size, you have to pay.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby mtngal » Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Lenora, you have yours now, right? How do you like it? I so want one, but can't justify another 3G from ATT.
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 17, 2011 5:18 pm

mtngal wrote:Lenora, you have yours now, right? How do you like it? I so want one, but can't justify another 3G from ATT.

Since getting mine, 2 wks ago now, I'm using my PC only to run Quicken. My dog is very confused as in the AM he knows my routine and it use to be, I'd go make coffee and he'd wait for me on the computer chair and then snuggle on my lap when I'd finally sit down. Now I make coffee and lay on the sofa with the iPad. He eventually comes out into the livingroom and has a look on his face as if to say, "I was waiting for you, Mommy, and you didn't come."

I did get WiFi in my home only because I found out I could get it for only the cost of buying the router ($10) and no monthly fees since I have Comcast's Triple Play pkg. I do find it much easier to download apps over 20 mbs with WiFi. Otherwise I have to first download them on iTunes on my PC and then transfer over. That goes for updates over 20 mbs as well. And just like the iPhone, you'll need a PC to SYNC once in a while.

Right on the iPad you can purchase 3G by the month for $25. I believe that gives you 2000 mbs and it does have an area to go check on your usage. If you don't use up all the mbs for the month, you loose them. No rollovers. I did purchase a month's worth, but I do hours of gaming and I had to cut back a bit on my usage as it was going fairly quickly. Since getting WiFi, I cancelled the 3G auto renewal. That can be reinstated at any time, right on the iPad.

Although the keyboard is bigger on the iPad vs iPhone, it still is hard for me to type quickly, so I did purchase the wireless keyboard and it works perfectly. I have yet to use the camera adapters so I can plug my SC card right into the iPad. I'm thinking BJ also got those, too. Perhaps she can weigh in on that if she or her hubby have used it.

As for it's camera. ;) I think the pictures are hazy looking. I feel like they used the iPhone camera and then it stretches the pic to fit the iPad. Taking pictures on the iPad wasn't a selling point for me so I'm not torqued about it, but do think at the price it should be taking better pics as touted.

The flipping from landscape to vertical is very touchy, but it does have a lock. I also ordered the magnetic cover and really like that.

Overall I'm happy with it because it fits my needs so far.
AlmostThere

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos