Magic Jack

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Magic Jack

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:49 am

No, that's not my new boyfriend! :roll:

I was told about this at work today. It is a gizmo that you plug into your computer and then plug in a landline phone to that. It costs $40 for the Magic Jack gizmo and then only $20 per year starting the following year. All calls, local and long distance, are free anytime. I am thinking of trying it. They are offering a 30 free trial on their internet site.
With my dad wanting to talk for an hour at a time, it is eating up my Tracfone minutes in a hurry! That costs me at least $20 per month if not more!

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.magicjack.com
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Magic Jack

Postby VickieP » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:54 am

Barbie, I know Karen/RetiredHappy uses that... or used to, maybe she'll be able to give you more info.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:32 am

I've had one for years. Works best with a simple phone, not a cordless. Most of the time the calls are clear but there are times when the sound cuts in and out and you can't hear or be heard. Sometimes hanging up and redialing help. Depending on the phone number and area code you pick, it can be a long distance call for anyone calling you but free for you to call them. All in all, for the price you can't beat it. I always use mine when I have to call a company and will probably be put on hold. If I'm on my cell and they put me on hold, I get really, really cranky.

You can buy it at Walmart.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 pm

I wonder if that would work for me here. I am surrounded by mountains and can't hardly get a radio station tuned in. The gal at work who has it says she has a hard time hearing the person on the other end too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do the "free for 30 days" trial. I would be able to tell right away if it was going to work or not.

I also saw them at CVS. I have never heard of the Magic Jack before.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am

Gmail, Barbie, Gmail!!! If you get it (for FREE), you can make clear long distance phone calls from your computer (FREE) :D Jeremy called me from his computer when he was in Okinawa. It sounded better than when he calls me from his cell phone :o Think it's worth a try since you need to be careful with your $$, like me ;)
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 am

The only downside of the Gmail that I can see it that it is for outbound calls only. The Magic Jack allows inbound calls too since you use an actual phone and have your own phone number.
I also read that Google is going to start charging for mainline calls in the near future.
I think I will still try the Magic Jack since it is free for 30 days and see how it goes.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 am

Was told by Magic Jack that it works best when your computer is on something like Roadrunner and not using an aircard like I do. The aircard is more dependent on your signal just like your cell phone. And yes, you can receive incoming calls but ONLY if your computer is on. I turn mine off when not in use.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Barbzeee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Barbie, Several of my neighbors are using Magic Jack...they got rid of their long distance service..but kept their land line for local calls but they use the Magic Jack to call their children out of state... They told me it works great as we are hooked on Cable Internet..
So their land line phone is minimal charge while they talk long distance to their children and friends...for 20 bucks it's worth it if you are a gabber or who calls you is a gabber...

I'm looking at it for my long distance also as we Italians are "Gabbers"... LOL

God Bless
Zeee

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks! I did order it (again, but with my dad's credit card since he is the only one I talk to long distance). I should get it in a few days. Will see how well it works. I have 30 days to try it out for "free" before they officially charge for it.
My dad talks non-stop! Even when I tell him I have to go, he always says, "I know, but just one more thing...", and half an hour later...yawn!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 pm

I got my Magic Jack today but when I plug it in, it says it can't connect to the internet. Not sure why. I checked my firewall and that's not blocking it. Wondering if it has something to do with my roommates internet that I am using. Don't know much about this stuff but I don't have any tracfone minutes left to call Magic Jack to figure it out. Maybe I can use my roommates phone to call, when she gets home.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos