New Portable Ice Maker - Review

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

New Portable Ice Maker - Review

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Our new portable ice maker (Koldfront KIM210W) arrived last week, late in the day before we were to leave for St. Louis. I brought it with us.

OMG - that thing is just wonderful. It cranks out the ice like crazy. I used the LARGE size and I couldn't ask for anything more. I unplugged it at night because it is a tad noisy, but it's so fast, it started cranking out again in the morning. I see it saving lots of ice runs and ice money in the future. Sure is convenient. I just wish I still drank Vodka/Tonics so they would always be ice cold while out camping! :(

What a great (yet slightly heavy at 25#) addition to the camping gear.

That's my review! :mrgreen:

PS: Only thing I see wrong is that the little drain hole has a screw top that is attached by a tether to keep it from getting lost. However, under the screw top is a TEENY-TINY, CLEAR 'plug'...I imagine it will be lost early on! Also, some reviewers complained about the thing stopping working. What I've found so far, is that if an ice cube lands on the metal sensor bar (top right side of the basket, and it's purpose is to indicate the basket is full and shuts machine off). Just knock that cube off...
mitch5252

Re: New Portable Ice Maker - Review

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Great news that you like it so much. Moved the topic to Gadgets and Gizmos so it should be easier to find (hopefully) later.

I'm one of the old-fashioned ones - 4 ice cube trays in my freezer. Can't justify the space and weight in this little rig. But I could sure see the value of that ice maker - as I use ice!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Do you deliver?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Birdie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Vickie, I'll bet if you had Vodka and Tonic she'd deliver. Specially, if it was really good Vodka. Otherwise, bet you have to go pick it up. :mrgreen:
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby VickieP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Too many vodka and tonic's and I'll have to pick her up! :o :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Good Vodka = vodka/rocks, anchovy olive (or 2) (or 3) (or hand-stuffed)

Cheap Vodka = vodka/mixer of any sort

Why, i believe I may have to change my Camping Beverage choices.

I will deliver half way - kinda like living where I live - the pizza joint here will only deliver as far as the slaughter house, which, for me, is a 14 mile round trip...so much for pizza delivery in the southern boonies.
mitch5252

Postby dpf » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 am

Aren't they just the neatest thing since sliced bread? Know what you mean about that darn little clear plug...should be red! But I did read in a review on a website where a person had lost one and the company sent them one free of charge. I should probably request one right now because I know that sooner or later I am going to misplace mine, but then I probably will forget where I have the spare! Mine will get an ice cube caught on the sensor too and I just knock it off and hold the sensor with my fingers for a few minutes to warm it up and it takes right off again.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos