Another Internet and MIFI option

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Another Internet and MIFI option

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Here's another option for those looking for a less expensive version of an aircard. I will remember this for the future. It might not work in some of the more remote areas that Verizon is getting to - but probably will in the not too distant future. And the price is definitely right - and I love that you can turn it on/off month by month, as needed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Your-Own- ... 33608.html
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Another Internet and MIFI option

Postby Getupngo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:37 pm

It excites me for sure.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Liz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am

Except for the limited coverage area, it sounds like a very good deal. Carol says there's no Sprint coverage where she lives, for example, while she does get Verizon. Maybe other carriers will eventually lower their prices to compete? :roll:
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby kelpie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:55 am

This sounds like an amazing option for me. I have researching my choices and none really seemed to be ALL that I want. I currently have an air card that is unused 7- 8 months of the years yet costs me $40 per month for nothing. Looked at Verizon's MiFi but don't like the contract. Also if my kid stays in my house again for the winter I let him have internet and cable for his "services" and so couldn't have only MiFi. If a better option is marketed some time in the future, you can always get it, because this Virgin Mobile has no contract, and therefore, no early termination fee.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:20 am

I can turn my Verizon aircard off for up to 90 days which I have done while I'm here cause my signal is poor and the park has good wifi. They do charge, I believe $15 but its still cheaper than paying for the full amount when you can't use it.

When my contract is up I will check on Virgin Mobile's mifi or maybe Verizon will come down because of the competition.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

I have to have internet - and none of them work everywhere - so I then have to find alternatives, and usually can - whether it's using wifi somewhere for an hour or so - or something including paying for something. I sure wouldn't mind that as much if I could be paying less for the monthly fee - and could start stop as often as I want - plus have unlimited. Because some of you feel Verizon is unlimited, but I've come close to my limit 2 months this summer already. So not worrying about usage would be wonderful. I only took a 1 year contract on this - so next spring when it's up - I'll probably look into changing - unless Verizon not only lowers there price, but adds more usage.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sharon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Sure wish I had known about this before this trip...I've been lucky so far with wifi, but I won't have any for probably the next 3 weeks. :cry:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby doglady » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Verizon does have a pay as you go option for the MiFi - the draw back is you have to pay a ridiculous price for the device itself and the pay as you go plans aren't as "generous" as the monthly service plan - nothing is perfect -

I've been exploring Google Voice as a means of further reducing expenses - GV gives you a phone number (probably not in your home area code) and it is internet based for sending and receiving calls - will post more after I've explored it a bit more and have seen how much a call eats into my monthly usage allowance on my data plan.
doglady

Postby kelpie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:33 am

I can turn my air card off also, but it just adds it to the end of the contract. What i really want is to only pay for something while I'm actually using/needing it. Maybe that's a pipe dream :lol:
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 am

Looks like there is no coverage for my area. I'd have to pass on this for now.
AlmostThere

Postby JoySpice » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Hey Bethers.. I know this is from 2010, but.... I tried the link you posted and it is no longer available. Would you please tell me what this is about? I know its something to do with pre-paid internet. But that's all I understand about it.. Thanks a bunch..... J.
JoySpice

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

JoySpice wrote:Hey Bethers.. I know this is from 2010, but.... I tried the link you posted and it is no longer available. Would you please tell me what this is about? I know its something to do with pre-paid internet. But that's all I understand about it.. Thanks a bunch..... J.

Unfortunately, without the link anymore, I can't tell you exactly. It was simply something that was going to be an internet choice back then. Lots of different ones now, I'm sure. I'm now using my cell phone as a hot spot or to tether for internet.
Beth
Bethers

Postby sharon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:56 am

Joy, I think it was one that Virgin Mobile was offering. Not sure if they still have it or not, but check their site. Why can I remember this and forget to get milk at the grocery after reminding myself before I left the house yesterday???? :evil:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 am

If the link was about Virgin Mobile, yes, that option is still available. I've been thinking seriously about Virgin mobile myself.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html?cid=daslV_ppc_go_bb2goV_b_asl+mifi+new
mitch5252

Postby avalen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought a cricket crosswave wifi device and I'm happy with it but of course have no idea how it will work if I was on the road.
My son has a smart phone and with that data package you can use it as a hot spot too. I'll definately do that if I ever get myself
a smart phone cause that would be cheaper than paying for my wifi AND a cell phone. I can also turn it off month to month if I
don't need it and there is no charge to turn it back on, you just pay for the next month. When I had the verizon aircard, they
wanted to charge me $15 for turning it back on and I only had 5 gigabytes as compared to 7.5 gigabytes on Cricket for almost
the same amount of money. ($4 diff)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos