Solar powered Lantern

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Solar powered Lantern

Postby kelpie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't know how many of you have some type of small camping lantern or would like one but I have found a fantastic new one. I have purchased several flashlight type which require batteries. I don't use them enough and am always having to scramble for new batteries when I needed to use them. Looked at Coleman propane type but they are 1. expensive 2. heavy and 3. would require carrying propane etc etc. Bought a solar powered one this week at my local ABC Warehouse (yes, the appliance/electronics store, they also carry nifty small appliances and gadgets) It is very lightweight and has a carrying handle. The box says Direct sunlight required - I guess that means it would still charge on overcast days or whatever. Tried it tonight at camfire gathering wih my friends - WOW is it bright!. Cost $17.99 + tax. My friend's son is a missionary in Africa and their electricity is very erratic there. They have generator but sometimes that also causes problems. She was planning to get a couple of these to send them - also lightweight to ship and no batteries to worry about. Hopefully it will last a good while also but so far LOVE it.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Re: Solar powered Lantern

Postby sharon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:58 pm

And the brand is?????
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 pm

sharon wrote:And the brand is?????

My question also! :mrgreen:

ON EDIT: Kelpie, is this it?

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~active_tab~Online%20Store~prod_id~44037

mitch5252

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 am

ooh, I need to get one of those, thats one thing in my camping gear that I don't have.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby sharon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:45 am

If that's it, it's pretty inexpensive...if it gives out as much light as she says I could sure use it out in the desert.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 am

Dang, going to have to spend money again. (Sharon, isn't me getting the money out of your pocket this time!)

There's a similar one on Amazon for more money - looks almost identical - figure probably same manufacturer - but it also works on 12 volt - maybe for when the sun's not shining. http://www.amazon.com/iCharge-STG-1210- ... 69&sr=1-23

I don't need the 12 volt, so like the one Kellie found.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby dpf » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:54 pm

If they are fully charged about how long do they give off light? I'm thinking we could use one of these around here during power outages along with camping. Going without power for five days in '05 during December is still very fresh in my mind!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:53 pm

One of the websites said fully charged they'll give off 7 hours of light. Not bad. And I'm thinking of getting the one that can be charged using the 12 volt, too. When I'm sitting still like now, it would be easy to use the sun. But when I'm traveling, wouldn't have time to give it the necessary solar power - so having both options would work. One even has a 3rd option of plugging it in (if you buy the extra cord).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby kelpie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 am

It is the one Mitch posted. No brand name on box or lantern.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
kelpie

Postby Birdie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm

I purchased, last February, a radio with weather band in addition to am and fm, and a light. It operates on solar, wind up or batteries. I used to place it where the sun would come in the rig over head air vents and it would charge up. I have Maxx Air covers on those now, so I put it on it's side and let the sun hit it while in the front seat driving down the road. It is in the rig in Tucson and I am in Paradise so can't tell you brand etc. But I purchased it at Radio Shack. Cost was about $60. I wanted the weather radio and the battery/wind up/solar power for Texas/Oklahoma hurricanes and tornados. It works quite well. I use rechargeable batteries so it is useable if I forget to 'sun it'. The winding part works well, but man that's a lot of work. :lol:
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby dpf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Okay...these are on sale for $16. something...thinking about getting them for gifts....does anyone buy one who is willing to vouch for them?
dpf

Postby kelpie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:44 pm

I will vouch for them. Love them.! Never have to work about batteries again.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
kelpie

Postby dpf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Kelli...I order three of them....if they don't work good I'm going to track you down! :evil: But I'm going to wait to find you when you're somewhere it's warm! :lol:
dpf

Postby WickedLady » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Do they have an on/off switch?
WickedLady

Postby dpf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Yes, they have an on/off switch. I received the ones I ordered and I'm quite impressed. So Kelly...you safe! :D
dpf

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos