Command Strips

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Command Strips

Postby dpf » Mon May 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Has any one tried the 3M Command Strips to hang things in their rigs? I bought some yesterday and now when I look at the directions closely it says that they may not work on vinyl wallpaper and that's what in our rig.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Re: Command Strips

Postby avalen » Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm

the previous owners of this fifthwheel used some of those sticky mounted hooks and
towel holder in the bathroom and last summer when the ac went out, the heat made
one side of the towel holder fall off the wall. But then it made some of the vinyl wallpaper
slide too, (where the shower curtain rod was) It could have been just a quirk from the
heat or an old product, don't know. Just sharing my experience with a similiar product.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon May 03, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't know if I've used exactly that - but have used lots of the 3M sticky products in the rig. One of the first ones I put up as a hook in the bathroom came down later that same year. I re-put it up and put others up - none have come down again. About once a month, I go through and push all of them against the wall and hold. Not sure it helps, but I know when I'm in dry climates, things have a tendency to come undone - so I started doing that. I've got all my pictures up using the 3M sticky tape. I always put more on than it calls for. A couple months ago I wanted to take one down and replace the picture in it - and couldn't get it off - so it's staying until I want it down permanently - afraid I'll have ruined the wall under - :oops:
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 pm

I use museum puddy on my pictures and to keep stuff from moving.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I've used those 3M Strips in our little trailer and LOVE them. No problem on the wallpaper and no trouble taking them off (follow directions, of course.)
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Tue May 04, 2010 9:42 am

OK, Mitch, you have me figured out - it's following directions I'm probably not doing in trying to remove. But removing the ones for the hooks, etc, I can do. It's the sticky 2 sided tape on my pictures that I can't get to. Ha - and I have no idea where any instructions are. Will have to check Mr. Google - he probably has the answers.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 am

Doesn't 3M make strips besides the Command Strips? So, maybe you're using some non-easily removable type.

Here's a link for all the Command Strips and how to apply/remove them.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/how_use/instructions/
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Tue May 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah, I can take those off. It's the 3M double sticky tape I use to put up pictures. Ha - those are there - maybe forever :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby dpf » Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I have the Command picture hanging strips. They two sides and look a lot like velcro.
dpf

Postby Bethers » Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Those will probably work fine, I used the 2 sided sticky - to make sure the pictures wouldn't move. Also because I wanted these flat to the wall - especially all my little pics. If you use those, I'd get the museum putty to use on the bottom edges that Karen uses - to hold the pictures right in place (Used to use the museum putty all the time at the motels I managed).
Beth
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm

I use the command strip hooks for hanging my broom, (need to grab it when I fly out the door don't cha know), my hats, my small emergency flashlights, and clock (the bird singing the hours one). I use the museum putty for holding my coffee pot on the counter in place as I travel down the road. I use the double sticky to hold my 'white board' on the wall - will use 'goo gone' to take it off. I love those little command strips for hanging up just about anything. I really wish that made some tiny ones, not small, tiny.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby OutandAbout » Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Bethers, the Goo Gone works wonders on almost any kind of sticky residue. I haven't found any so far that it won't remove. Birdy, there are some tiny (at least I think tiny) command strips that are clear plastic and about 1 inch. Is that tiny enough? I found them in Wal Mart. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby Bethers » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Ha - I'd have to get the picture OFF the wall to remove the rest. That part I'm not concerned about. Meantime, as long as I own this rig - that one picture will be there! And when I sell, I'll have to then use a long skinny knife or something to cut through and take the picture off. Then the Goo Gone will get it's use. Speaking of which - I need to replace my weatherstripping around my door. Bought new - wonder where I put it? Have to use Goo Gone to finish removing the old. That's a project I should be getting done soon. Was a priority before going back to Alaska, but now I'll need it to help keep the heat out. Will probably need to put my outside white cover over the windshield and doors, too - works great in helping when it's cold or hot. But I LIKE looking out that window - so will avoid it until I need to. Maybe, since my electric is paid in my site rent here - I'll just let the air take care of it :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Bethers wrote:Ha - I'd have to get the picture OFF the wall to remove the rest. That part I'm not concerned about.

I got a mental picture of you pulling on the picture and a big piece of the wall comes with it. :lol: :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby dpf » Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

go here http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/comma ... swodrS9iXQ

There is a video about the hooks and the strips.

Has anyone used these?
dpf

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos