GPS?

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

GPS?

Postby Ladyhawk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:20 am

I've been researching gps units and didn't know if anyone had ideas. I liked the ones that talk, have AAA info, advanced lane notice, but also saw there was a truck routing feature. Anyone have this or know if it's needed?
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Re: GPS?

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

I have a Garmin 660. It has bluetooth so I can make and receive phone calls thru it. It talks to me (pretty bossy). Doesn't have lane assist cause I can't get one with lane assist that also pairs up with my cell phone (I've tried). This is my 2nd GPS and I've found they are not accurate ALL the time. I can set my on fastest or most direct route, can be set for car, motorcycle or bus. I have mine set on bus (the biggest thing available) but still can get you into tight spots. I like to drive secondary roads and it most often wants to go freeways. Sometimes to MAKE it go the back way I have to set it to go from small town to small town. It often doesn't recognize new construction. I have a bridge here in Kerrville (been here two years) over the Guadalupe River. Garmin doesn't know there's a bridge and shows my car in the middle of the river and keeps saying: "RECALCULATING, RECALCULATING. Sounds kinda panic stricken. What I do like about it is when I'm in a city, it will find me a bank, gas station or restaurant.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Getupngo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

I have a much less sophisticated TomTom (no bluetooth). My son bought one for me a few Christmases ago ... and I had told him before that I didn't want one because "getting lost was half the fun."

WELL ... I don't want to travel without one now. I made a run from Green River, UT to Albuquerque one winter day. I didn't realize how long a drive it was, and I arrived in AQ after dark, exhausted, still needing to get to my RV Park reservation. The GPS directed me through two freeway changes, and dropped me right in front of the RV park. I never could have done that without a GPS. Because I travel solo, I don't have a navigator to hold the map and say, "turn here."

One thing I love is that it tells me -- at my current speed -- how much longer I have to drive and what my arrival time will be. It shows me on a map where I am on the route, so I can see how far I've come. Wonderful.

My skeezy old roommate (don't ask) took off with my tomtom, so I bought a newer, upgraded model. Haven't taken it traveling yet ... but I'm sure it will do as good a job as its little sister did for so long.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby kelpie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I have a garmin , I think 260. It also tells me the arrival time and even factors in time zone changes. It shows how far to the next change of direction with an arrow as to which way so you know if you need to change lanes well in advance. As Karen said, they aren't 100 %, but they are wonderful, especially for those of us with no navigator. Edd' might be able to read a map but he hasn't learned to speak English yet. :lol:
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby Ladyhawk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the info. I purchased a Magellan today. It seemed to have quite a lot of stuff for the money and was the one that felt most comfortable to me. I'll let you know how it does on the trip home.
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos