Thermacell Insect Repellent

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Thermacell Insect Repellent

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Please, please tell me. I'm getting eaten alive. I sure don't want to sit out side all summer long in long pants.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby VickieP » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 pm

sunshinecruiserTN wrote:Please, please tell me. I'm getting eaten alive. I sure don't want to sit out side all summer long in long pants.

Hold yer horses Woman, I gotta get there first! :lol: :lol: Or should I have said hold yer skeeters! :roll:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Liz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 am

In Alaska I noticed they use units (larger ones) that work similarly around resorts and other places tourists visit.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 am

Yesterday I saw some new 'green' 'eco-friendly' insect repellent next to the usual arrays of OFF and others, and opened it up to smell it. ACK!!! My stomach wretched! When I read the indgredients, the herbal ones looked innocuous enough, and should have smelled better than they did, but the "other" ingredients made up 97% of the solution! Those "others" weren't even listed! I set it back down and went for the OFF BOTANICALS lotion which smells good, has some aloe in it, and works well for night-time use. As no-see-ums can go through ordinary screening, I have to put the herbal OFF on all parts of my body not covered up in my sleeping bag. Also, I am able to sit at the pond all summer long and not be bothered by black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, stable flies, if I use OFF lotion with DEET. Black flies still swarm and try to enter eyes, nose, ears, back of neck, etc.----but that OFF with DEET keeps them from drawing blood! Black flies last for the month of June, usually, and then fade out as their breeding stream waters warm up. Then come the deer flies during the day and the mosquitoes at night. Stable flies look just like houseflies, but are nothing like them in reality---they have acid saliva and sucking mouth parts and they burn holes in your skin to eat! They are late summer pests, and love to follow me out into my canoe! They are lightning fast and impossible to swat and kill, so, if you are without an insect repellent body lotion, you have to go home and get it!

I bought me a new Coleman screen tent for this summer, that has no-see-um mesh screening, and that should provide good protection for night-time!

Spraying metal screens in the house and leanto with a regular insect spray killer will usually keep the no-see-ums from going through the holes, but that stuff can't be used on plastic or poly screens.

All in all, I have grown used to all seasons of biting bugs and have learned how to deal with them. Sometimes the black flies get so bad (if they are very numerous, like a cloud of erratically moving, swarming, darting creatures, and block your vision of what you are trying to do, flying into your open eyes and ears, etc.) that it's necessary to wear a head net hat while mowing in the late spring. They are the most annoying biting bugs for me. Newbies to the area sometimes end up in the ERs as, if they venture out with no protection, the black fly bites can swell up your entire neck-and-behind-your-ears area. Until a person gets immune to the swelling, (and it appears that a number of attacks can provide quite a good deal of resistance to swelling) black fly bites can be very painful and debilitating. Luckily for us all, their season is relatively short!

And that's our Adirondack biting insect story!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Good grief, Soos. Your bugs sound as bad as your winter!!!
Vickie - I'm interested in what you think of this product. Bugs are pretty bad here too. Need a report soon.
Sunshine, I like your new recliner.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:37 pm

VickieP wrote:
sunshinecruiserTN wrote:Please, please tell me. I'm getting eaten alive. I sure don't want to sit out side all summer long in long pants.

Hold yer horses Woman, I gotta get there first! :lol: :lol: Or should I have said hold yer skeeters! :roll:

I'm getting carried away down here at Titusville. Listerine is just not working! Well actually the Listerine is working I'm just not spraying on the upper backs of my legs and ugh, they look eaten up. I'm hoping for a miracle.

Thanks Sarah, I love my new recliner.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Wow! Those black flies sound horrible! We don't have those here, or the no see ums. Just gnats, ticks, mosquitoes and horse flies (I think they are the same as deer flies). Because of the lakes around here, they spray really well (from helicoptors) all spring and summer and the mosquitoes haven't been bad for many years in this area, but up north is a whole 'nother story! I hardly had a bug to deal with all last year while playing golf in the evenings, which was very nice (for both me and my game!).
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby VickieP » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Sorry, but we still haven't had to try it out yet. I think if the fire wouldn't have been so smoky tonight we would have had to deal with the mosquitoes. Ronnie and his niece went scrounging for firewood and they came back with three half rotten logs about 5ft long. They were damp and we could break them with our feet so the smoke was more abundant than the actual fire. :lol: I think more people will pull out tomorrow (Sunday) and maybe we can snag some more wood. But I promise you, I'll donate my body to testing this gadget and let you know, it you haven't been carried off by then. I've never heard of spraying Listerine, but seems like it would work. You're not wearing any type of sweet smelling perfume or lotion or anything like that are you?
VickieP

VickieP

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 pm

I hear Lysterine works pretty good, but who wants to go around smelling like that?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 am

BarbaraRose wrote: but who wants to go around smelling like that?

Well, probably Vickie would - that'd be a pretty nice improvement.

mitch5252

Postby VickieP » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 am

Bite me! :D
VickieP

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:02 pm

VickieP wrote:Bite me! :D

Thanks for the offer, but I'll leave that to the mosquitos...

mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Both of you, bite this!!

AlmostThere

Postby VickieP » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:09 pm

:lol: :lol: Pass!
VickieP

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Heck, I don't want to bite it, but I sure as heck wouldn't mind having an arse like that!
mitch5252

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos