Volcano Stove

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Volcano Stove

Postby VickieP » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 pm

You cook on top of the Volcano? I thought it was inside the thing. What's the purpose of the stacked parts, what do they do?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 pm

VickieP wrote:You cook on top of the Volcano? I thought it was inside the thing. What's the purpose of the stacked parts, what do they do?

I'm not quite sure. That's why I ordered the instructions/cookbook. If you use the 'heat diffuser' to hold a DO, I'm not sure where to put the coals - on the diffuser, or on the layer (grill) below it...

It's corn-fusing.
mitch5252

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I see you've got the all-important glass of wine! How did the burgers turn out?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby VickieP » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I see you've got the all-important glass of wine! How did the burgers turn out?

She don't know, she had too much wine! :roll:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 am

BarbaraRose wrote:I see you've got the all-important glass of wine! How did the burgers turn out?

I ask you, how can one grill outside on a lovely Spring evening WITHOUT a glass or wine?

And Vickie is a WAY bigger Doofus than you. Honest.

Burgers were wonderful! Just the way we like 'em - just bring back the body heat, or get rid of the moo.

mitch5252

Postby dpf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 am

I refuse to show this to my DH! (you figure out what the D stands for) Although I did go to YouTube and watch the clips on it...looks handy! Last Sunday I had to stop at Wal-Mart just to buy dog food..was suppose to be a quick stop and told him if he wanted to stay in the car that was fine because I would be right back...but oh no...he had to go in and check out the grills etc. We are now the proud owners of our 5th smoker. The back yard and garage are starting to look like someone is getting ready to set up for a Rib Fest...two large gas grills, one portable, five smokers, two fryers, a rocket roaster, two DO's and some darn thing he bought at an auction (never out of the box) that is supposed to cook with newspaper! If he sees this...I know he'll want it. All I can do is pray that no one camping next to us ever has one!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:11 am

dpf wrote:I refuse to show this to my DH! (you figure out what the D stands for) Although I did go to YouTube and watch the clips on it...looks handy! Last Sunday I had to stop at Wal-Mart just to buy dog food..was suppose to be a quick stop and told him if he wanted to stay in the car that was fine because I would be right back...but oh no...he had to go in and check out the grills etc. We are now the proud owners of our 5th smoker. The back yard and garage are starting to look like someone is getting ready to set up for a Rib Fest...two large gas grills, one portable, five smokers, two fryers, a rocket roaster, two DO's and some darn thing he bought at an auction (never out of the box) that is supposed to cook with newspaper! If he sees this...I know he'll want it. All I can do is pray that no one camping next to us ever has one!

LOLOL! Think of all the brownie points you could get by getting him one as a I LOVE YOU Gift...

What's a rocket roaster?
mitch5252

Postby dpf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 am

http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?i ... m_scid=crt

No more Wal-Mart for him.....and he can't have the credit card and phone while he's watching TV anymore either! (we have a "Set it and Forget it" too!) :roll:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 am

dpf wrote:...two large gas grills, one portable, five smokers, two fryers, a rocket roaster, two DO's and some darn thing he bought at an auction (never out of the box) that is supposed to cook with newspaper!

Does he actually use any of them?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:21 am

LOLOL - so, how many parties, attended by 300 people, do you have in a year, anyway?
I really think he NEEDS a Volcano II WITH propane attachment...
How come I was never invited? :mrgreen:

mitch5252

Postby OutandAbout » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:37 pm

I like to look of the volcano II. I will also wait until you have all the quirks worked out and found the instructions. hehehe. The more I read about DO cooking, the more I want to try it. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

OutandAbout wrote:I like to look of the volcano II. I will also wait until you have all the quirks worked out and found the instructions. hehehe. The more I read about DO cooking, the more I want to try it. Linda

I love cooking in a DO, although I'm not very experienced.

I told Vickie, once I get that book, I'll publish the instruction somewhere. I looked everywhere on the internet with no success!
mitch5252

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Oh My that looks so neat. So what's the verdict? Worth it. No, no, no I don't need anymore "stuff" but it sure looks like something that would be so cool to use and have. I'll ponder.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby sharon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:35 pm

sunshinecruiserTN wrote:Oh My that looks so neat. So what's the verdict? Worth it. No, no, no I don't need anymore "stuff" but it sure looks like something that would be so cool to use and have. I'll ponder.

NO, NO, NO and NO Carolyn!! Didn't we have this conversation in Tenn???? IF you get it, something of equal size has to go, or you'll end up sleeping on the couch again! And just think how much gas $150 will buy!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:54 pm

I made homemade (yeast dough) rolls in the DO, placed in the Volcano 2, this afternoon. I followed a DO temperature guide exactly. Bottoms burned. But they were still delicious. I ate mine, part of George's (he didn't like it - crust was too crunchy for his old teeth...) and threw the rest away. I CANNOT MAKE HOMEMADE BREAD. I CANNOT MAKE HOMEMADE BREAD...

But what I figured out is that, supposedly, the Volcano is a more efficient user of heat than other cooking methods. So, I'll need to cut down on briquettes next time.

mitch5252

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos