Extend A Stay Kit for your Rigs !

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Extend A Stay Kit for your Rigs !

Postby Barbzeee » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:10 am

Ok all.. it's called Extend A Stay Kit... I got mine from my RV dealer but you can buy it at Camping world too... and have them installe it on your Propane tank.. this is for Class A's and Class C's.... it allows you to stay parked and you can buy the extra propane (portable) propane tank to get refilled without having to worry...

When I stay at a place a long time, I just close my main propane tank (that I have for emergency) and I hook this tube to my main tank and attach the portable tank and ta da.. you are set and ready... I've used this system for years now and never had a problem.. of course I always make sure everything is working.. I use a spay bottle filled with soapy water to spray on the connections to make sure nothing is leaking... that's something you always want to do when hooking up to propane anyway...

When we had some cold winter months in Florida and everyone was going through propane pretty quickly.. I had my extra bottle hooked up.. one place even let me hook into a 100lb tank.. that was wonderful.. but I do carry a 60lb one with me.. now I've seen others just use the gas grill tanks I think they are 20 lb ones.. I've seen that alot they have several small ones....but you all know me... layback.. I use the bigger tank.. hey, I just load it in my car and drive it to the fill station and look dumb .. always someone is there to help LOL... see so it's not bad looking dumb !!!! hahahaha..

This is something I've done since in the winter months I showed dogs in the north.. and trust me .. a larger rig goes through propane rapidly.. and I definitely experienced that one.. and you know what.. have it happen one time and you will remember that feeling ooooooh yeah... so I carried my tank and hooked up and we were toasty... See not all us dog show people aren't wise to these tricks...:)

Ok,,,, that's all I have to say.. cepting check it out.. the cost is not that great and boy if it saves you work.. Why not !!

I also can run my gas grill without using the small bottles if I want with the spit type hose ..so there are many possibilities

PS oh I also just got an adapter that tells me when my portable tanks are running low too... that I got from QVC..:)

Hooks up to the tank...aaaaaaaah good deal....:)
God Bless

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Re: Extend A Stay Kit for your Rigs !

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 am

I, too, have an Extend-a-stay. Bought a 20lb tank at Walmart (much cheaper than CW). Its small enough I can carry it full. So far hven't had to use it cause the campgrounds I've worked at supplied me with a 100lb tank. I strap in in the back seat of my car when traveling (empty, of course).
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 am

I had the extend a stay hook up done as well. My 5r came with two 20# tanks but
I actually hated taking them out and hauling them to the propane company and
then putting them back in so I had the propane company bring me 100# tank,
and they hooked up the long hose, so when I need propane I just hang the sign
and they stop by and fill the tank. I like things simple so hanging the sign is
about as simple as it gets.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm

YOu might not even need the extend a stay - as I've now hooked up twice to the big tanks - and never had that added, just needed to turn off to the tank and put the connection from the big tank directly to the connection on my propane tank. I'm not sure what the difference is - but that worked for me - and I had intended to buy the extend a stay but the propane co who hooked me up last summer said I was fine just as I was. Sure was worth it last year. And I would have bought it if I'd needed it.

I will probably buy and hook up a tank for the winter - as I figure I'll be using more gas.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 am

Beth... that's great that you didn't have to buy that extend a kit.. but not every place will allow you to hook up to the 100 lb tanks... maybe cause you work kamp... but from one who does not work kamp... most places I've been too..( Now not that I'm a Camp ground know it all....but having the dogs I have ).. I only can stay in certain areas..and most of those .. Like when I was at the KOA in Kissimmee...never could have the 100lb setup.. only used my 60lber...So you might want to somewhere down the road buy one...maybe the camp ground you work for gets a good deal on them and you can get them cheaper...but worth every penny...

Reasons why ...Insurance company won't allow Motor homes to be connected to larger tanks.. You can have the TT's hooked to them.. go figure or even the 5th wheels.. but not the Class A's or C's or even B's I guess..... Oh well..life keeps getting better....

God Bless
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:40 am

OK, Zeee - I would need a different connection if I brought in a smaller tank? Is that what you're saying? I thought the connection would be the same?

(In learning mode now)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 am

When we had the Tropi-Cal we had the extend a stay hose off it. We know others that have them on the Seeya's too. We have had no reason to get it for ours but when we were staying at Pasco WA we noticed alot of RV's who were staying on a monthly basis had the big tanks or even the little tanks attached. We use a small portable for our BBQ.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 am

Beth, I'm not sure what connection you have.. Mine I have allows me to hook up even the BBQ grill It's a hose with attached end that hooks into the tank bottle ..and one goes right into your main tank which you have to shut off ..then I have an adapter I got from QVC (my favorite place) that also tells me how much propane is in the protable tank .. now that's a great gadget....cause those strips never work right and the old trick of spraying water on the gas bottle to see where the freeze line is..get's to nasty LOL... done that too many times...

Are we on the same plane LOL YOu know what I'm talking about now ? don't know what hose you have coming from your main propane tank..????

Seeya Gal.. (Jenny) lots of people just use the grill tanks.. not bad for a quick fix.. but our big rigs when it's cold suck up that propane like it's water... I know mine does.. cause I hate being cold LOL

Ok.. maybe I should get a picture.. LOL or Beth take a picture of yours then we can all be on the same page...

Ok. lunch time..oh I got a winner to tell you all... .. I'll do it after lunch time... it's a winner that's all I am saying :)

God Bless

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Me thinks - both times I attached outside propane - others did it - and they provided the tanks - and anything necessary to attach. So - yep, probably need to get the extend a stay if I want to add a tank myself this winter. Okies, guess I need to go shopping :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am

When we stayed in Pasco a guy came and dropped off the big tanks and also filled them so I assume they set it up and disconnect them....great for someone who is staying on a monthly basis.

Yep I know what it is like to go through Propane like water!! I filled my 38 gallon tank 3 times in one month several years ago when we had snow! That was the last time I spent a Winter in WA!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos