Microwave Egg Cooker

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Microwave Egg Cooker

Postby mitch5252 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 am

Didn't we have a discussion about microwave egg cookers several years ago?

Anyway, I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and way in the back, I found George's beloved microwave egg cooker - 3 soft boiled eggs EVERY single Wednesday for a very long time...

If anyone going to the southern IL GTG wants this, I'll bring it along.
Otherwise, in the trash it goes.

mitch5252

Re: Microwave Egg Cooker

Postby MandysMom » Thu May 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Yep, I think it was me that talked about the one I found at Walmart. Ours get used weekly and we like them. That looks like you cook eggs in shell, yes? Mine I use like a poacher. I love a poached egg on gluten free toast.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Is yours like this? I have this in a 3-egger in the house and a 4-egger in the trailer.

mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu May 05, 2016 5:16 pm

I have one both in the rig and in the house. I use them fairly often, especially when I want to have a couple of eggs ready to throw into a salad, or mix with tuna, etc. Well that an I can use the microwave to cook them. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Queen » Thu May 05, 2016 5:22 pm

I never knew you could cook eggs in the shell in a microwave. Huh, who knew.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Bethers » Thu May 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Yes, this has been a topic before. The one Mitch has I wouldn't want to live without. Just used it, as a matter of fact. You can make soft, medium or hard boiled eggs into it, perfect every time. They're easier to shell, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Fri May 06, 2016 2:24 am

I have two types, both by Nordic ware, made in US. One is a round one for up to two eggs and we use to scramble and the eggs fit a English muffin well. The other has two cups and we poach in using an egg each cup with about 1/4 tsp water. Both are almost 100% non stick material, a type of special bps free plastic Nordic ware uses. Work great and easy to wipe clean.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Redetotry » Sat May 07, 2016 7:04 am

mitch5252 wrote:..
Didn't we have a discussion about microwave egg cookers several years ago?

Anyway, I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and way in the back, I found George's beloved microwave egg cooker - 3 soft boiled eggs EVERY single Wednesday for a very long time...

If anyone going to the southern IL GTG wants this, I'll bring it along.
Otherwise, in the trash it goes.

I'd like to try it, if someone can explain to me how to turn my microwave on :oops: I love eggs. I'll look around to see if I have a gadget you might like. I have multiple coffee makers, do you have a stove top espresso maker?
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Queen » Sat May 07, 2016 7:44 am

If you're making espresso, I'm in! ;)
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby MandysMom » Sat May 07, 2016 12:36 pm

My husband has what he says is the best stove top Semi espresso maker ever. Uses it daily. It's even beautiful, all shiny stainless steel and all. Will ask him name as I'm not good with adding amazon links. He even bought a special induction burner to use with it because our big Volrath, the magnet coil was,too large for the espresso pot so the induction would not turn on. The Duxtop induction was only I think $59 and the espresso maker he said is a Cuisinox ( spelling ??) and I think was $99 which I thought outrageous but since he is so happy and says it makes bestest coffee ( I wouldn't have a clue I don't drink the stuff), I was glad he is happy. He went through a lot of different coffee machines before he got the Cuisinox and Duxtop! He said it would work on a regular gas or electric or glass top too, he just just likes the Duxtop. He says it's not true espresso but it's not bad, which is old Navy Chief speak for pretty good coffee! He is still experimenting with settings on his grinder as he likes fresh ground beans.
Velda who is wondering why she is talking coffee since she knows little about the topic other than yes dear go ahead and order the one you want. LOLOLOL
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Redetotry wrote:...I'll look around to see if I have a gadget you might like.

That's nice of you BJ, but I'm cleaning house - trying to get rid of stuff.
You wouldn't believe what I've tossed...and lots more to go.

I'll throw the egg cooker in the trailer and bring it for you.
You're kidding about turning on the microwave, right? :)

mitch5252

Postby Redetotry » Sat May 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Mitch, I'm embarrassed to say no, I'm not kidding about the microwave. Wait till you see it, it does a lot more than microwave. It is also an oven and has all these metal parts. I have read the directions but it didn't help.

Velda, I'm a coffee addict. I go for an extra wet espresso Macchiato almost every afternoon. When the place I go to hires a new barista they teach them how to make my drink :lol: :lol: so I understand your husbands love of coffee. I don't remember not having coffee, we always had coffee at breakfast as kids. There is a great place in New York called Porto Rico Imports where I buy the coffee we drink at home and I order a six months supply at a time when they have their semi annual sale. Your DH would love it.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby mitch5252 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Redetotry wrote:...Wait till you see it, it does a lot more than microwave.

...I go for an extra wet espresso Macchiato almost every afternoon.

BJ, you mean your rig's microwave? Convection?

I understand wet and water...what is "extra wet"???

mitch5252

Postby Queen » Sun May 08, 2016 9:07 am

I'm with BJ on coffee and convection microwaves. LOVE good coffee... and have no idea how to use a convection microwave. :mrgreen:
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby mitch5252 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:01 am

I got a coffee bean roaster several months ago and have been roasting my own beans, and then grinding them fresh every morning.

I can't believe the difference in taste. Sometimes, over the years, I'd get coffee out and sometimes it would be like, "this is REALLY GOOD coffee".
Never understood why. Now I do. Fresh.

During my research, I also learned that those blade grinders are not the best for grinding beans. A "burr" grinder is better. So, I am now using my Grandmother's old (like 100 years?) coffee grinder. Works like a charm. Of course, being the testing fool that I am, I had to compare grinds with blade grinder vs. burr grinder. What the internet coffee gurus said was true - grind much more consistent/even with burr (Grandma's) grinder.

I bought a recommended hand grinder a couple of weeks ago. The gear ratio or whatever must be WAY different than Grandma's grinder cuz I almost exhaust myself grinding enough for a 4-cup pot!! I have not been able to convince myself to get the electric burr grinder ($$$)...

I plan to bring Grandma's along to the GTG, BJ...I"d be glad to grind you some freshly home-roasted beans...(although I have just run out of my first green bean purchase - some sort of Sumatra something-er-other, which I really liked. New purchase is different bean; different country; taste unknown as of yet.)

mitch5252

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos