Egg Boiler

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Egg Boiler

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Well, if an egg should ever explode inside my egg boiler I think I'd just throw the whole thing away and buy a new one. Not like it's a big expensive gadget. :) Now, cleaning it off the microwave I wouldn't enjoy.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby dpf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 am

Soos, If you're having trouble peeling eggs it's probably because they are too fresh. I used to buy all my eggs from a local farmer and they were often picked the same day that I bought them. One day I mentioned that I had so much trouble peeling them. It was his wife who told me that was because they were too fresh and if I planned to made hard cooked eggs to leave them on the counter for a couple of days at room temp. Never had any problems after that. Don't worry about a few days at normal room temp. If any of you were raised on a farm "back in the day" you know that the egg man only came once a week or eggs were taken to town to sell once a week. Farmers kept them in the basement or root cellar because it was cooler, but they weren't refrigerated. Salmonella poisoning isn't likely unless there are cracks in the eggs. I have to buy my eggs in the store now but if I know that I'm going to make deviled eggs, potato salad or egg salad I try to plan in advance and leave them out for at least a day. If you have the eggs at room temp when you start cooking them they won't crack as easily and leave the gunk all over the pan...don't boil...just simmer. There's your handy little tip from the retired home economics teacher for today! ;)
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:24 am

Well, now! Thanks for that great info!! I really, really love egg salad in all ways, shapes, and forms, from sandwiches to salads to just pigging out on the mixture! But the chore of peeling the eggs always turns me off to making it! I will follow your advice next time, and see where it leads me! I also LOVE deviled eggs!

Thanks again, teach!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Previous

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos