FitBit

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

FitBit

Postby MandysMom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 pm

I am signed onto FitBit as my first name. So if you want to friend me, it's Velda!
Look forward to comparing goals for fitness.
Velda
MandysMom

Re: FitBit

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 pm

I can't find where to search for a friend by name.
I can only see to find friends through FB or email.

Where to search for Velda?
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Aria scale?
mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Oh Mitch, I forgot, not everyone signs up for the extras and that is where I am with Fitbit. It has a box on right where friends can see each other. I was advised by knowing friends when I first joined the fitbit page to never use Facebook for it but create its own user (your email) and password. They said it was safer than using Facebook where if you are not careful he woke world can see.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 am

If by "extras", you mean Premium, I did that, too. I don't believe one is able to search by name to find friends. You must have their email address.

But it sure has been motivating me!!!

mitch5252

Postby Azusateach » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:42 am

So what does the Premium option have that the free one doesn't? If it's tracking food, there are other apps out there that will synch with the free version when it comes to tracking food and stuff like that. I've only done the free version so far.

Would it be worth considering to create a new category on the forum for fitness-related stuff, so that folks that aren't using a Fitbit (but something similar) can have a place to post their progress & get encouragement if they'd like?

Laura
Azusateach

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Laura, yes it does track food and give more info, but my main reason is my group of local friends who we all are on there and some are quite competitive and we watch each other daily. I actually had people who figured out something was wrong when I got sick in Dec and my activity dropped dramatically who contacted me to see if I was ok. I just like the things it does. I got a special on the premium when I got the fitbit. I use Fat Secret for food and its Free and Free is good! Lol
Velda
MandysMom

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 am

I've only had my Fitbit One a few days but loving it so far.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Okay, Fitbit Friends - the Fitbit scale, known as Aria, is awesome (and pretty, too)...
I have added two new measurements to my Fitbit Dashboard.
I am a cow.
(I can't believe I am actually sharing these nasty numbers with you all...and this is without boobs, which are all fat!)

mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 pm

But now we can get even more excited for you as the numbers :) make some positive changes in the future, right?
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

daughter got one, and after 3 weeks she lost it! She contacted fitbit and they sent her a new, no charge. So I'm not
quite sure what all this fitbit stuff is about but am going to see it tomorrow. I'm not an exercise person but I do walk.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby VickieP » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:22 pm

How does the scale know how much is lean & how much is fat?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 am

You have to use the scale barefoot and it sends some sort of pulse through your feet. You can't use it if you have a pacemaker and another condition or two. That technology has been around for a while. Women over 60 can have a higher than "normal" BMI and still be considered healthy.

I agree with the last sentence - all this stuff is a motivational tool and a tool to mark progress for healthier living.
And also fun for a gadget girl.

From a March 2014 Article:

Body Fat Scales
Body fat scales use a technology called bioelectrical impedance analysis to measure body fat. A small, unnoticeable electrical current is sent from one foot, up one leg and down the other leg. Fat is a poor conductor of electricity compared to other components of the body such as muscle. The more resistance the electrical current experiences, the higher the fat.

Body Fat Scale Reliablity
A "Consumer Reports" study of body fat scales supports what many health and fitness experts say: that these scales are not as accurate as other body fat measurement methods. One issue is that the current runs from foot to foot and therefore is only measuring fat content in the lower body. The Consumer Report study found that the best scales were accurate up to 80 percent of the time. Further, there was no consistency as to whether or not scales reported a higher or lower body fat content. Because of these widespread inaccuracies, "Consumer Reports" no longer tests body-fat scales. Although the scales aren't always accurate, they can still be a tool to measure progress if you test your fat percentage under the same conditions each time.

mitch5252

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 am

mitch5252 wrote:.....Women over 60 can have a higher than "normal" BMI and still be considered healthy. .....

Sooooooooooo - another reason besides possible early retirement to be 60 ;)
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I've had my Fitbit One for almost a month now. Am very pleased with it even tho it is optimized for someone with a firmer, faster pace than mine, it is doing a better job counting steps than any others I've owned. The sleep tracking function has also provided evidence that I need to make appointment with sleep clinic sooner than my regularly scheduled appointment. Seeing the daily graphs is still providing incentive to move more as well.
It is a product I'd recommend.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos