Scott's Rapid Dissolve Toilet Paper

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Scott's Rapid Dissolve Toilet Paper

Postby JudyJB » Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 pm

I have been usually using the TP-in-a-plastic bag thing, except when doing a #2, when I use RV TP which I can flush. However, when company comes, I don't ask guests to do that and have gotten into trouble when I have a houseful of grandkids. I hate the stuff Camping World and other RV dealers carry, so have been looking for a solution.

I found Scott's Rapid Dissolve TP way last December and loved it. It dissolves extremely rapidly, is bright white, and ribbed so it feels stronger and thicker than it is. I have been searching for it everywhere since then, with no luck. It is supposed to be carried at Walmart, but have not been able to find it there. Finally gave up and bought a case of 12 packages of 4 double rolls through Amazon for $34 with free shipping when I added another small item. Now I have about two year's worth of this stuff stashed underneath in storage. (Strangely enough my son who gets all my mail did not question why I was buying TP from Amazon! :lol: )
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Scott's Rapid Dissolve Toilet Paper

Postby gingerK » Wed May 14, 2014 3:03 pm

My friends who have a TT use this also. I'll have to ask them where they purchase it.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Bethers » Wed May 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I've never had trouble with the regular Scott's dissolving. My reason for not flushing tp is when I'm boondocking, I want the tanks to last longer. While it dissolves, it still takes up space. You aren't boondocking much, so using tp in the tank works. (I used it in my tank my first few years - then discovered I could add a week to my boondocking time by not flushing it.) With my little tanks, that's a big deal.

Glad you like that tp though - always nice to like the one you're using.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm

The Walmart near my home carries it in their RV supplies section, not with the other TP.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby retiredhappy » Wed May 14, 2014 7:17 pm

I've always used a regular single ply paper that I buy at Walmart. It dissolves quickly and isn't expensive. I'm with Beth; I use a paper lunch bag for tp but don't have grandkids. My granddaughter used to use half a roll at my house and caused me problems.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby JudyJB » Thu May 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Other than once early in my RVing career, I don't have problems with TP, but I have had problems when I had a lot of company. Last big plug was when I had my niece and her two kids one night, and then for three nights had my son, his wife, and three kids. Took me several days to add enough water and slosh it around enough to get rid of the terrible "TP Pyramid." In June, I am going to have son and his family for a week in Colorado, so I don't want to take any chances.

I think I did buy the first four-pack at Wal-Marts in the regular TP section, but since then I have looked at both places in a lot of Wal-Marts. I just finally gave up and decided it was cheaper and easier to buy it online. I stuck it all underneath in my 6" high pass-through between the two side storage bins. I figure I have at least two-years worth!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MelissaD » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 am

We use what's cheap. We do the test. Put a piece in a jar of water, screw on the lid, give a shake. If it starts to fall apart into fiber, I'm good to go. If it holds it's shape it's a no go and we use it at home.

http://www.newrver.com/toiletpapertruth.shtml
http://rvtoilets.blogspot.com/2012/05/h ... paper.html

The "RV TP" might dissolve but it's useless for doing your business and expensive :o
MelissaD

Postby snowball » Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 pm

that is what I do as well ...do the test but I also bag it cause most of the time I'm boon docking
even at my daughters for the summer because she doesn't have a dump for me :roll: so I have it pumped
out a couple times a summer and can go longer if I don't put paper down the toilet...so why don't I use something better?
just in case I forget or one of the kids uses the toilet... :lol:
Sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 pm

MelissaD wrote:We use what's cheap. We do the test. Put a piece in a jar of water, screw on the lid, give a shake. If it starts to fall apart into fiber, I'm good to go. If it holds it's shape it's a no go and we use it at home.

http://www.newrver.com/toiletpapertruth.shtml
http://rvtoilets.blogspot.com/2012/05/h ... paper.html

The "RV TP" might dissolve but it's useless for doing your business and expensive :o

And not all RV TP dissolves well. I was part of a test at an rv park of toilet papers using your jar system. I think we had 10 or 12 different papers. One of the rv papers fared at the bottom. The absolute best was a generic store tp - which surprised everyone there. I'm so used to my 1000 roll Scott's - but I still do the test occasionally - cuz I don't trust any of them to not change the products. But like Sheila, I don't flush it often - boondocking sure does change our habits :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 am

As for company (kids) ask them to use the campground toilet during the day. The walk is good for them. And did you have "the toilet talk" with them. Explained to my granddaughter that we don't use very much TP in the RV and if she clogged it up, I'd make her unclog it. that threat worked great.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 am

retiredhappy wrote:...and if she clogged it up, I'd make her unclog it. that threat worked great.

LOL - what a novel and great idea!
Good job!
mitch5252

Postby dpf » Sat May 17, 2014 5:59 pm

OMG Karen! Did you take her outside show her the black water outlet and tell her she had to stick her arm up the pipe and dig out TP and #2? That poor girl is probably still having nightmares! :lol:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby snowball » Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 pm

the images that threat brings up!!
and they do change I used to use Northern and then they started saying
something different indicting a change and so I did the "test" and although it did decompose
it took longer than I was comfortable with so went to find another
and if you were to ask which one I couldn't tell you but I recognize it :lol:
sheila
oh and those flushables??? don't put them down the toilet in the rig they didn't pass the test
snowball

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos