Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm hoping to boondock in night time temps around freezing and need to be certain that I'll be warm enough at night. I'm thinking that a sleeping bag rated for those temps might be the easiest fix. Less bulky than 10 blankets or a huge down comforter. I don't have much storage for extra bedding. Any thoughts? I 'ppreciate it.

On edit: I do have a propane heater but don't like the idea of running it all night. I've never used it so not even sure it works.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Postby avalen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm

kinda hard to tell someone what they should or shouldn't buy but personally, I prefer blankets. The blankets are much easier to
launder then a sleeping bag. Even when I had my conversion van I had multiple blankets on the bed that I just slept on top of
until I needed another layer and crawled under the next layer. Then if I got too warm, I'd just stick a foot out or two to cool down.
I couldn't do that in a sleeping bag and the dog would have a hard time crawling in as well. Maggie likes to sleep at my belly ;)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mtngal » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Sleeping bag or comforter, my favorite storage solution are pillow covers with a zipper up one side. They match my 'decor' and are nice for my day bed look too. Not to mention being comfy! (Sorry, not really the answer to your question!).
Diana
mtngal

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I also prefer blankets for the same reason as Ava - gotta be able to get that hot foot/leg/torso out in a hurry...

Warm jammies, some CuddleDuds, thick socks, flannel sheets, and a down comforter or two - toasty. Miserable to get out of bed in the morning, or potty at night, but you'll be toasty while rolled up...

And a sweater for Olive...

Check out "chemical warmers"...I see they make them for hands, feet, body.

mitch5252

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. Lots of good points. I never thought about a sweater for Olive.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby sharon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:47 pm

I have a down blanket and a down comforter....I never leave home without them! You just can't beat down for warmth!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 pm

I can't stand being too warm which I am in most sleeping bags. I, too, layer.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sharon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm

mtngal wrote:Sleeping bag or comforter, my favorite storage solution are pillow covers with a zipper up one side. They match my 'decor' and are nice for my day bed look too. Not to mention being comfy! (Sorry, not really the answer to your question!).

I forgot that you did that when you redecorated your RT. I remember thinking what a great idea!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Deeann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 am

I have to sprawl out when I sleep. Sleeping in a bag is a bit confining.

Sleeping bags tend to be a bit "stiff" because they are poofy. When you're in one they don't drape limply over your body like a sheet and blanket will. They don't conform to your body. They kind of "tent up" on you. So you have drafts that come and go all night long. Whereas a blanket (or two or three) will hang on you and keep the draft out. You can wad up a blanket around you much easier than a bag. The only way to really prevent the draft in a bag is to have a mummy bag that ties up around your head.

I've been camping lots of times when I was cold all night long in a sleeping bag. So I prefer blankets now. If you have a sleeping bag you can always unzip it and lay it on top of your other bedding to add some warmth. But i want my first layer to be a sheet and blanket or quilt.

Plus, I can't sleep in a sleeping bag with my dog. Even the larger bags are too small for the both of us. She's just a chihuahua but she hogs the bed.
Deeann

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 am

As cold as you get you might want to rethink boondocking in really cold weather - do it on the way home. How about fleece footie pj's?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:43 am

retiredhappy wrote:As cold as you get you might want to rethink boondocking in really cold weather - do it on the way home. How about fleece footie pj's?

:lol: :lol: :lol: How about if I just remember to close the ceiling vents when it's 12F outside?

Karen, you're probably right, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet. The biggest issue is that Olive will not sleep under the covers with me. She will tolerate being covered up, at least for a while. Of course I didn't think about the propane heater running down my batteries. So, essentially, I'm without heat all night in freezing temps. Something to think about. I can plan so that I'm warm enough most of the time. At least I think I can. The big parka (remember the big parka?) has kept me warm in much colder temps. I have silk long johns that do a good job. I have flannel sheets, a wool comforter and a very thick down comforter. OMG what a hassle. People do this all the time judging from all the reserved sites for the days I would be there. There has to be a way! I'm tougher than I look once I make up my mind. (Fort Stockton was 12F not 35F. :lol: :lol: :lol: ) What a PITA I was.

UFOs? Big Foot? Bring 'em on!

The sleeping bag is a non-starter. Thanks everyone for helping me think this through. Maybe I just take day trips to the woods. Bummer. I want to go camping even though I have absolutely no idea how to camp. Zero as in none at all.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Deeann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

I have camped a couple of times in the back of my truck and woke up to 17 degrees outside. I finally decided to use a small electric heater in the back of the truck. That made the camping much more comfy. Of course, if you're boondocking you can't use an electric heater.

I'll tell you what the other boondockers at this campground are doing: they're lighting one of the burners on the stove and leaving it on all night. You'd be surprised how toasty warm one burner can keep a camper. And it won't use any battery power. I've done this a time or two in my TT when the heater wouldn't come on. It's perfectly safe to do this AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE A WINDOW OR TWO OPEN A FEW INCHES. All these guys who go deer hunting in their little canned hams do this. DO NOT use the oven as it is not designed to be on continuously like your stove burners. You can light 2 burners and get the camper warmed up, then turn one off. Just be sure to have fresh air or you will die from lack of oxygen (the burners will burn the oxygen up as they are burning the propane). Make sure you fill both your propane tanks before you leave town, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra tank on board if you are planning to boondock for awhile. Heating your camper like this will use less propane than running your heater. The only bad thing about doing this is that it will put some moisture in your camper. The windows will sweat, etc. People will look at your windows and think you're boiling water to cook spaghetti. lol I don't think you'll have to worry about the moisture unless you plan on boodnocking for a significant part of the year. If that's the case, then mold and mildew could potentially be a problem. Try it and see what you think. I've done it before with no problems. If you can't bear the thought of sleeping with a burner on, then sleep without them on, then get up in the morning and light two of them. You can jump back in bed while the camper gets warm.

Also, I will say that if you run out of propane with a burner on BE SURE TO TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND SWITCH TANKS. Otherwise it will be spewing propane into your camper as soon as you turn the other tank on.

I had a 32' 5er that I heated up with just 2 burners. Then I turned one off and just used one burner to maintain that heat. Worked like a champ.
Deeann

Postby monik7 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:26 pm

My first time in Quartzsite was a year ago January. My first cold nights in my rig. I left the heater on at about 65 degrees because I worried about my dogs. I had no idea it would run down my batteries. Needless to say, I was very discouraged about boondocking in cold weather. This January I had a great discussion with Sharon ahead of time on how to manage the heat. She made me realize my dogs were fine. Her advice was to set the thermostat at 55 degrees. The heat didn't come on until about 3:00 am one morning and about 1:30 am another. It continued to come on and off until we got up. It was perfect. The batteries were fine, the dogs were fine, I was fine. Thank you Sharon.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm totally, totally against using the stove or oven to heat an rv at any time, even when you're awake, but please don't do it while sleeping. And you can use your heater at night, just not overuse it. I really don't think the temps are going to be quite what you're saying here. By late May they will be rising.

By the way, those open windows to use the stove, can also bring in just a slight breeze to put you on fire. Please don't do that. I'm shuddering at the thought.

I used to set my furnace at 45, my new one only has a low setting of 55. I would go to bed with the heat off, but turn it on if I felt that cold during the night. Otherwise, I just turn it on about 15 minutes before I get up ...
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Bethers wrote:I'm totally, totally against using the stove or oven to heat an rv at any time, even when you're awake, but please don't do it while sleeping.

I agree, Beth. That scared me when I read about leaving the stove on. Holy Moly!!!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos