Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Postby VickieP » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:15 pm

We have one of these for emergencies, safe indoors, but I'd still leave a crack in a window or overhead vent.

https://www.google.com/#q=mr+buddy+heater&tbm=shop
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:24 pm

A lot of good ideas, as usual.

1. The idea of leaving a burner on during the night does make my stomach clench. However, I think that's an instinctual reaction to the idea of fire. I'm not at all sure there's any real danger as long as oxygen is being replenished. There are a lot of variables to consider before I get all aghast at the idea. However, I have only one propane tank and it's on board. I have to go to a propane place to get it refilled.

2. I don't know what the lowest temp on my thermostat is and Betsy is in the shop right now, so I can't check. (Yes, she's back in the shop...) I have one battery that's not the engine battery whatever it's called. I don't know what the impact is if I run it down. Can't it be recharged by running the engine or the generator or something? You'd think that with all the reading I've done I'd know this, but I don't, not right now. Besides the generator has a bad oil leak despite the fact that I had it serviced before the Phoenix GTG. I hope it can be fixed before I leave.

3. The average May temps in Flagstaff are 68-35F. I didn't just pull the numbers out of.....the air. I don't think that anticipating freezing nights is out of line.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USAZ0068

Here's where I am right now:

1. If I can figure out how to store tons of bedding I'll pass on the sleeping bag. If not, I'll cough up the bucks for a super duper queen size bag. Let's hear it for Amazon Prime two-day shipping.
2. No matter how cold it gets, Olive and I will survive and I'll have a great story to tell. And with a propane stove, I can make enough hot tea and soup to get me through anything.
3. My house has wheels.

Vickie posted while I was writing this way too long response. I think a propane heater is the answer. Vickie, it's official. You're smarter than Mitch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the support.

N
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby VickieP » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Olive6001 wrote:Vickie posted while I was writing this way too long response. I think a propane heater is the answer. Vickie, it's official. You're smarter than Mitch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: There was doubt? :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Olive6001 wrote:...Vickie, it's official. You're smarter than Mitch.

mitch5252

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 am

I'm not necessarily advocating using the stove top to heat an rv. But it can be done, and safely, if you use common sense. If you're afraid that a draft will blow the flame and catch something on fire, don't open a window near the stove. Open one in the bedroom and one somewhere else.

Certainly, using a stove to heat an rv is not the ideal way to heat your camper. But if you find that your furnace has failed you and you're freezing, you can use the stove to heat the rv. Then you can get dressed and drive into town to get the furnace repaired. It is a valid option if all else fails. I've had to do it several times with different campers and it can be done. I would much prefer for the furnace to work properly but if it doesn't you do have something to fall back on in an emergency.

It's not something you have to do, just an option. And it's probably what all those boondockers are doing unless they run a generator everyday to recharge their batteries.
Deeann

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 am

Running your generator or your engine should recharge your house battery.
Deeann

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 am

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the open vent. LOL
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:26 am

I just find using the stove top to heat not an option for me. I've personally seen two rv fires - both that were put out in time. One was started from the flame of the stove top - the person was boiling eggs and went outside the rig for a minute. I was the neighbor - when we could smell something burning. We never did figure what started it, but we got it out quickly. If we hadn't been standing RIGHT there on her patio, she would have lost everything. It wasn't windy, and the dang eggs exploded - what a mess - but I'll never forget it. And it's also why I don't like to even walk outside the door of my rig with the stove on - let alone think about sleeping with it on.

On the other hand, many are advocates of turning off the propane while traveling and I leave mine on - with the fridge on. I don't have any problem there - that's what it was made to do. The gas stove wasn't made to be a heater.

Sorry I'm such a pain on this - but something I'll never ever do - and I've been cold and hate being cold. And, yes, I did enjoy my temps inside rising more when I cooked soup yesterday. There are just so many other options, like the heater that Vickie mentioned - to do the job - and that are meant to do the job.

I'll shush now.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Bethers wrote:I just find using the stove top to heat not an option for me. I've personally seen two rv fires - both that were put out in time. One was started from the flame of the stove top - the person was boiling eggs and went outside the rig for a minute. I was the neighbor - when we could smell something burning. We never did figure what started it, but we got it out quickly. If we hadn't been standing RIGHT there on her patio, she would have lost everything. It wasn't windy, and the dang eggs exploded - what a mess - but I'll never forget it. And it's also why I don't like to even walk outside the door of my rig with the stove on - let alone think about sleeping with it on.

On the other hand, many are advocates of turning off the propane while traveling and I leave mine on - with the fridge on. I don't have any problem there - that's what it was made to do. The gas stove wasn't made to be a heater.

Sorry I'm such a pain on this - but something I'll never ever do - and I've been cold and hate being cold. And, yes, I did enjoy my temps inside rising more when I cooked soup yesterday. There are just so many other options, like the heater that Vickie mentioned - to do the job - and that are meant to do the job.

I'll shush now.

Thanks Beth. I hope everyone reads your post and considers the very real dangers.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:30 pm

I agree that any open flame can be dangerous. Camp fires are dangerous. Fireplaces are dangerous. Common sense should always be the rule with any open flame regardless of where you are.

In my original post I said that lots of boondockers do this. And I pointed out how to do it safely. No one has to do it if they don't want to. It's just an option. If you're camping in freezing temps and you lose your heater you can either let your water lines freeze and burst or you can light a burner and warm your trailer up until you can do something else. You can sit at your table and keep an eye on the burner if you want to.

You must remember that in the old canned ham trailers they didn't have electric lights. They had wall lights that were propane. So this kind of thing has been done for years, safely.

To each his own.

And I would venture to say that your neighbor didn't put any water in the pan when she went to boil her eggs. That's why the egg exploded. You can't boil off a quart of water in 2 or 3 minutes and have eggs exploding any other way.
Deeann

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 pm

And it is against the law to travel through a tunnel with the propane turned on. It is also against the law to put gas in an rv with the pilot on a refrigerator burning.
Deeann

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Deeann wrote:And it is against the law to travel through a tunnel with the propane turned on. It is also against the law to put gas in an rv with the pilot on a refrigerator burning.

And it only takes a second to stop and turn things off. You're already stopped when you get gas - so very easy to do. As to the law - you have to completely turn off the gas - not just to the fridge - when you go through a tunnel. Same when I took the ferry from Alaska - the lp had to entirely be turned off. They check it and tape your compartment closed. They liked me because I'd already turned it off before they checked. Said they don't see that often. I never said I don't turn it off when necessary.

And there was STILL some water in the pot when we got the fire out - so no, she didn't forget to put water in the pan. The fire dept came out and their best opinion was that something small (maybe just a scrap of paper) got too near the burner and went in flames - caught to her valance about a foot away - and started it smoldering - which is when we came in and got it all out. While we got the stove off, the valance out/cooled off - that's when the eggs exploded - not all of them, but enough for a mess. Luckily that was the worst of the mess. And that's when you're supposedly paying attn - because you're cooking. Now, you turn it on to heat, and maybe fall asleep, or just forget -

That said here's some home statistics:

Cooking (42%) is the #1 cause of home fires

I couldn't find similar statistics for an rv - but that's way too high for me to want to use the stovetop as a heating source.

I'm just saying that a stove isn't made to be a heater. The lights you mention were made to be lights - and, guess what, they aren't allowed today. We've come a long way in safety from the days when I was young - and I happen to like where we've come. I'd rather spend the extra money on something that is made to be used to heat, then using something that is not made for that - and taking those chances. You have all rights to do differently -
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:38 pm

ok I boondock for the winter have for the past 6 or 7 one year didn't ....yes it was in AZ but the night time temps do get cold have woke up to freezing temps more than once...I have flannel sheets on the bed a comforter and an fleece blanket plus another thing that is so heavy not sure it will get used again one has to be able to move occasionally :roll: Shadow sleeps on the bed not cuddled up next to me but on the bed..and we do fine when I get up will turn on the heater usually the fire place which is hooked up to propane...perhaps a catalytic heater would help you we had one till my husband put in the fire place...I have the window over the sink cracked a bit and usually the bed room windows open I like it cool to sleep but don't want to feel cold sleeping not a consistent thing right? Never have had a problem with the windows fogging over or excess moisture in the rig (a 36 ft 5th wheel) don't know if this helps but look into the catalytic heaters they are more efficient than most of the furnaces in the rv's
sheila
snowball

Postby Olive6001 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks, Sheila. Your experience is really helpful.
Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby MsJane » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Like the others I prefer blankets and covers over a sleeping bag. I do have a comfortable sleeping bag from tent camping that I really do like. On the flip side it is possible to zip to sleeping bags together which would allow for more movement. Of course storage space is another factor to consider.
MsJane

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos