Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Should I buy a sleeping bag?

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Deeann wrote:And it is against the law to travel through a tunnel with the propane turned on. It is also against the law to put gas in an rv with the pilot on a refrigerator burning.

Holy moly! Besides having to learn all the lingo, tank dumping, heaters, sway bars, towing (anything), now I have to learn special laws for RVs! :shock:
OK how & where do I learn this stuff? Is there a book for laws by state or something?

Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby JudyJB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:01 pm

In fact, my stove had a warning sticker on it to never use it to heat the RV.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 pm

IrishIroamed wrote:
Deeann wrote:And it is against the law to travel through a tunnel with the propane turned on. It is also against the law to put gas in an rv with the pilot on a refrigerator burning.

Holy moly! Besides having to learn all the lingo, tank dumping, heaters, sway bars, towing (anything), now I have to learn special laws for RVs! :shock:
OK how & where do I learn this stuff? Is there a book for laws by state or something?

I'll make you more confused. There are a few tunnels that no propane tank over 10 lbs can go through, therefore no rv at all. There are states that don't require propane off going through tunnels. Others that do and usually have signs and even areas to pull over to do so. For safety's sake it would just be good to turn it off if you know a tunnel is coming up. Sometimes you'll come upon a tunnel with no warning and no where to pull over. I guarantee you and all the refrigerated trucks etc will just drive through.

Most states do have a law against an " open flame" which would obviously include any pilot lights, therefore propane off while filling with gas.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 pm

I have a sleeping bag rated at 40 degrees I think. And I have been using it these cold nights. Not sleeping in it, but lay it on top of the blanket and comforter. Works for me. I usually sleep with the heat off, but since it's been getting so cold, now set the propane heat to come on if it gets down to 50 degrees.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 am

Geez Beth - you're sooo nice to me :lol: :lol: - do you know why no propane on through tunnels? Wonder what the reason is.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby mtngal » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am

Hey Nikki, I was just thinking that if I had to replace my sleeping bags (mummy style from back country packing days), I would get square ones that unzip to make a flat comforter; would do double duty!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Deeann » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:27 am

IrishIroamed wrote:Geez Beth - you're sooo nice to me :lol: :lol: - do you know why no propane on through tunnels? Wonder what the reason is.

No propane in tunnels due to the possibility of an explosion if there was a wreck. Propane is explosive!
Deeann

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Deeann wrote:
IrishIroamed wrote:Geez Beth - you're sooo nice to me :lol: :lol: - do you know why no propane on through tunnels? Wonder what the reason is.

No propane in tunnels due to the possibility of an explosion if there was a wreck. Propane is explosive!

Thanks Deann - thought of that after I posted my stupid question, but wanted to make sure that was why.
Cheryl

IrishIroamed

Postby RitaMc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm

We took the furnace out of the "69 Shasta. I just didn't trust running it at night. We have a small electric heater that we turn on low when we go to bed. We use lots of blankets. Breezie sleeps at the foot of my bed. As the old trailer isn't insulated it can get uncomfortable for her. i took two pieces of cardboard about 24 inches in length. and taped them together at a 90 degree angle then wrapped them with quilt batting and covered it with a layer of fleece. this gets put up against the side wall and the front of the trailer .On top of my blankets i place a pet heating pad and then over it with her blanket. The padded piece keeps her comfortable if she leans up against a wall. I do keep a small blanket handy and if i wake up cold I check her too and cover her with the blanket. she stays toasty warm. Both John and I like to have the sleeping area cool and have lots of blankets to be wrapped up in. We each have 2 wool blankets, a fleece blanket and several fleece afghans which we can layer or remove as we feel comfortable. i have slept in a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and tied under my chin to keep my shoulders, neck and head warm. (I have camped in Minnesota in May when it has snowed and have actually slept wearing my winter coat). Both of us have a heating pad and that gets used under the blankes by our feet. The first one up in the morning puts the coffee on the burner. In the time it takes the coffee to perk the trailer is warmed up. We have spent some several 32 degree nights in New Mexico and Texas. i don't think I would dare shut my eyes if we had an open flame on at night.
1969 Shasta Loyfyte / Jeep Grand Cherokee
Breezie on the road again
[Image
RitaMc

Postby Olive6001 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks, Rita. Lots of good info that's very helpful.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby sharon » Fri May 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Rita, do you have electric heat at home or a gas furnace??? I use my gas furnace if it's cold enough and like Liz set it at around 50. I can't stand having a heavy pile of blankets on me or sleeping in sweats...therefore, the down comforter and blanket. Keeps me toasty warm and it's not heavy.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Previous

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos