Laundry

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Laundry

Postby srbbear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:14 am

I caught the tail end of a conversation about a gentleman living in his rv on the road all the time....he was describing how he did his laundry.

He got a storage tub with a lid, filled it with water, detergent and his dirty clothes, put it in the shower and hit the road! When he stopped at his destination, he took them out, rinsed them off and hung them up.....Clean clothes!!!!!!! lol

Necessity is the mother of invention :-)

Have a good day!
srbbear

Re: Laundry

Postby Liz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:55 am

Great idea!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 am

I saw one on RV travel on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HWg_GDHDME (better on the app - if you go right to youtube you have to sit thru a commercial.

If you saw the same one, this guy is the editor of RV travel. He has lot of hints on driving, mechanical, picture taking at destinations, etc.

Been watching them all over the last few months, in prep for the day I can go.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby JoanE » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am

Since our clothes are not really "dirty", this would be very doable with some baking soda and the tiniest bit of detergent. Wouldn't work for my sheets and blankets which I wash each week, but could lower the cost overall, especially if you use your washing tub each day to stay on top of the laundry. May have to try it.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Redwahine » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 am

Great idea.
Redwahine

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:53 am

I've done that - or close to it. Have a tub/shower - so don't need a separate tub.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby srbbear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 pm

but Bethers, wouldn't the water splash all out of the shower while you were driving? That's why I thought the tub with the lid was good.....I need to learn these things, lol......someday I will be out there hopefully!
srbbear

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 pm

srbbear wrote:but Bethers, wouldn't the water splash all out of the shower while you were driving? That's why I thought the tub with the lid was good.....I need to learn these things, lol......someday I will be out there hopefully!

I guess it would if I put too much water in, but never fill it that full. I do a lot of things by hand-washing in the tub - most often when not driving, but have done some driving. No spills so far. Again, though, I have a tub not just a shower with a small lip.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 am

I use my shower (which has about a six inch well) for storage while driving, so I would opt for a covered smaller container. I think I read that some use a garbage bag too.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 am

I am thinking that this method might be most effective for the bras, sox and underwear sort of things....Since I won't admit on many days I can wear blue jeans between washings :o , it would be helpful to to knock down the numbers on the smaller more personl items. I wouldn't have to carry as many or fall back to Wendy's method of stopping at Walmart and buying extras! :lol:
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby sharon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 am

BirdbyBird wrote:I am thinking that this method might be most effective for the bras, sox and underwear sort of things....Since I won't admit on many days I can wear blue jeans between washings :o , it would be helpful to to knock down the numbers on the smaller more personl items. I wouldn't have to carry as many or fall back to Wendy's method of stopping at Walmart and buying extras! :lol:

I love that Wendy! Get a lot of laughs from her! :mrgreen: Jeans? At least 3 days if I don't spill. Longer out in the dunes, just shake 'em off and wear. :lol: It's just sand.....
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 am

I wear my jeans a lot longer than 3 days.
But then again, unlike Beth, I wear underwear... :shock:
mitch5252

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

mitch5252 wrote:..
I wear my jeans a lot longer than 3 days.
But then again, unlike Beth, I wear underwear... :shock:

:lol: :lol:

I think one of those 5-gallon paint drums would work nicely. You can buy them empty, and the tops fit really tight.

Oh the other hand, I hate wringing out clothes by hand, and there's not much room in the van for hanging things to dry. So, maybe not . . .
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Again...for those of us that wear underwear....the little stuff is easier to ring out and blot with an extra towel......We have dogs so we have extra towels. :) I will save the sweatshirts, towels, sheets and jeans for the washer with the spin cycle. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Good idea!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos