Extra Freezer Shelf

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Extra Freezer Shelf

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Because I travel alone, I tend to put leftovers or even raw things like meat into one-portion packets and then stuff them in the freezer. I also take things out of their original packages (like ice cream bars) to save room. The result is lots of little things in my freezer.

I have the typical Dometic motorhome freezer that had only one shelf. Because everything got piled on top of everything else, I'd have packages slide out onto the floor every time I opened the door. So, I finally received the extra freezer shelf I ordered from Dometic. It cost me $40 plus shipping, but it makes for a lot neater freezer and stuff does not slide out as before. If I have something large to freeze, I can always easily remove the extra shelf.

JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Extra Freezer Shelf

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm

I added an extra shelf a long time ago - should have done some looking on the forum - got mine free from an rv repair place. Just asked if they knew if I could get one, and they said "Oh, the price is way too high to order new, but we always have some sitting around". Mine was free. They had various fridges that had been replaced, so I got to look and find one with the right size and take it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Cool Beth!!! Free is good...We also ordered another shelf paid big bucks for it but wouldn't give it up for nothing
right now though I have an over sized carton of ice cream (blue bell) in the freezer taking up way to much space!
but so glad I have that extra shelf
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 am

I would solve the ice cream problem by eating it!
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby MandysMom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:08 am

Judy, I just wanted you to know how much I am enjoying your blog. I went back to day one and am reading my way along, enjoying hearing of your travels, even what you eat sometime, gives me ideas for future. Thanks for sharing with all of us. And I love the idea of a extra shelf in the fridge.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby judi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:13 am

If you guys saw my teeny tiny freezer in my Roadtrek you would laugh. And I have an ice cube tray that makes cubes the size of lima beans.
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 am

judi wrote:...And I have an ice cube tray that makes cubes the size of lima beans.

That made me laugh!

For ice, I use low height, rectangular plastic containers and then just chip what I want with a kitchen knife. Stack about 2 or 3 of them in my tiny freezer.

mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:58 pm

judi wrote:If you guys saw my teeny tiny freezer in my Roadtrek you would laugh. And I have an ice cube tray that makes cubes the size of lima beans.

I have one of those, too. Love using the tiny cubes in some smoothies.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

judi wrote:If you guys saw my teeny tiny freezer in my Roadtrek you would laugh. And I have an ice cube tray that makes cubes the size of lima beans.

One of the biggest advantages of trading up from my Roadtrek was being able to carry ice cream!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby judi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 pm

My Roadtrek freezer will keep ice-cream frozen, but just enough for me. There are good reasons to travel alone...
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:13 pm

!

For ice, I use low height, rectangular plastic containers and then just chip what I want with a kitchen knife. Stack about 2 or 3 of them in my tiny freezer.

..[/quote]
what a good idea!!! I have lemon juice frozen why not water for ice!!! so obvious :lol:
thanks
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Actually, I have continued to do what I have done for years because I love ice in my water--I take a swig out of a bottle of water or refill it a couple of inches from the top and then put it in my freezer on the door shelf. Then I always have partially or fully-frozen water. Overnight it slowly melts and lets me have ice water. Sometimes if it is too frozen, I zap it in the microwave for a few minutes to partially melt it.

When I ride my bike or go for a long walk, I take a partially frozen bottle of water and it keeps cold for a couple or more hours. I even add water from drinking fountains when I still have a block of ice in the bottle. I use bottled water and do refill them, so I don't feel bad tossing one out occasionally when I am out exploring.

This encourages me to drink more water, and you all know that I need to do that with my kidney stones!
JudyJB
JudyJB

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos