I Need Some Stowage Ideas...

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

I Need Some Stowage Ideas...

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 pm

So, any clever ideas, easy to implement, to secure these bins on the lower shelf while in motion? I know I could put them on the floor when traveling, but when I stop for lunch or potty, I HATE having to move stuff out of the aisle. And, I'm sure there will be more and smaller containers there, too (see all the unused space...) :D

mitch5252

Re: I Need Some Stowage Ideas...

Postby Liz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Tension rods?
Or cargo nets.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby chalet05 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Mitch, my space isn't as big, but I use these. Not shown here, but there is one that is over 24". I got them at Walmart.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=1241734
Anita
chalet05

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm

I use the tension rods for more lightweight stuff. I don't think even the large one I have that spans the width would be sturdy enough.

I was thinking about something like this, going from top to bottom, instead of left to right. The ones in the picture are what I use to strap down the Directv DVR and the television on its mounting hardware.

I just HATE drilling holes in things. But if I must, I must. Unless there are some non-drilling ideas out there...

Whatdaya think of that idea?

mitch5252

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Mitch, How about a "baby/dog" gate?? Looks like that would keep everything in the space without drilling holes.... ;) Just my 2 cents.... :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 pm

rvgrammy1953 wrote:Mitch, How about a "baby/dog" gate?? Looks like that would keep everything in the space without drilling holes.... ;) Just my 2 cents.... :lol:

That's a great idea! I have a bunch I recently bought to keep pooches in the kitchen (tile floor)...I wonder if it'll be wide enough.

mitch5252

Postby judi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:34 pm

A few hooks on the sides and bungie cords?
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby Azusateach » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Is that a door in front of the shelves? I'm not sure where you're storing these that they'd have to be moved so you can use the trailer for pit stops and lunch breaks.

If you've got a cupboard door, what about using some uber-sticky velcro and creating a type of strap to go from the door around to the side of the cupboard?

Or use some command hooks and bungee cords?

Laura
Azusateach

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:43 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
rvgrammy1953 wrote:Mitch, How about a "baby/dog" gate?? Looks like that would keep everything in the space without drilling holes.... ;) Just my 2 cents.... :lol:

That's a great idea! I have a bunch I recently bought to keep pooches in the kitchen (tile floor)...I wonder if it'll be wide enough.

Mitch - they doggies gates are what came to my mind also (amazingly the idea stayed long enough for me to type :roll: ) they come in extra wide - or check Babies R Us for kiddie gates since some homes now have extra wide entrances & stairways.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Laura, if you mean the door on the left side of the picture, that's the door to the bathroom.
The place where the bins are, are bunks for sleeping, and are wide open.
There is a lip on the top bunk (to hold the mattress that belongs up there) and that lip keeps the drawers from falling out while traveling.
mitch5252

Postby JoanE » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 pm

The cargo net or some type of canvas shade could be anchored top and bottom but rolled up (or down) out of the way for access when stationary. Dog gates are another nuisance to store when parked.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby mnladyus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 pm

How about those rails that slip under the mattress to keep the kids from falling out of bed? They are nice and wide and the weight of all those tubs would keep it in place.
Mary Ann & Butch
1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe Remodeled, 08 Trailblazer
2011 Schnauzer "Butch"
God's Country, Northern Minnesota

mnladyus

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:06 am

Remember the little railings I put on my pantry shelves last year? Got the unfinished and stained them. Keeps stuff where it belongs
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 am

Have you thought about making a real door for at least the top part where there's no window?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 am

Bethers wrote:Have you thought about making a real door for at least the top part where there's no window?

Huh?

ON EDIT: Took me a while, but I see what you mean now...make like a "cabinet" door on the top bunk. I was thinking you meant some sort of door to the outside. I figured you were smokin' crack. The top part is not the problem. It's the bottom bunk where there's no "lip" to keep stuff in place.
mitch5252

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos