Cooking with. Solar oven

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Cooking with. Solar oven

Postby MandysMom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Was not sure whether to put this under this page or the recipe page but here I am. Just thought I would let you know since I had not seen a similar post,that both Brenda and I use solar ovens to cook. She is by far the expert as she uses hers daily to cook much of her food. I have used mine to hard cook eggs (no water involved), bake cornbread. Roast pumpkin, and bake rice. Would take up some storage space but when I travel in our bus in future I will definately be taking the sun oven for days we are in one spot.
Have any of you used a solar oven? We could move this to recipes for those specifics.
MandysMom

Re: Cooking with. Solar oven

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:20 pm

I moved this to gadgets and gizmos. You could share recipes still in the recipes room.

I do not have a solar oven - don't have space to carry it at this time. But it is something I would definitely be interested in.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 pm

would love to see pics of your solar oven and the cooking process :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Redwahine » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I used one while in the South Pacific. Made rice, stew, bread, etc. made a pizza once :P Took a few solar ovens down to some Quechua Indians in Bolivia. And to Botswana. They cook just about everything in them!!
Redwahine

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I have a friend that uses one when she boondocks out in the desert in Quartzsite, AZ. she really enjoys it and I would be tempted but do use my oven quite a bit...I know she has done pies, rolls, and not sure what else right now they also use a dutch oven
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 pm

You can make a solar oven out of something as simple as a foil mylar windshield cover. I know Brenda will have ideas. Mine is a big plastic box with a clear lid. I don't have any pictures at moment, but know Brenda does. Brenda bakes in hers all the time. She also is a mega gardener in containers mostly. '
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 am

I never thought of making one - know there is a company out there that has been selling them for years. Would love to see pictures of the ones you two have made.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos