The Next Exit guide.

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

The Next Exit guide.

Postby Sunseeker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:51 pm

My 2006 is dog-eared and bookmarked. Sure helped in finding Walmarts and Flying J's for overnights, and campgrounds near the highway, too. I don't have to tell you how valuable it was to avoid getting off where there was only a "higher end" brand of gas, or no station at all! I just ordered the newest edition for our upcoming trip. Only $10.49 on Amazon. I won't travel without one.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Re: The Next Exit guide.

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Yeah, I love mine too. Also have the Walmart book.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:15 pm

that sounds like quite a nifty item to have, I'll have to get one when I start traveling.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Marslet » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:55 pm

We just got back from the 1500 plus mile round trip to Illinois. We had only been to West Memphis, Ark on that interstate, so all the rest was virgin territory. Even DH said that was one of the best things I bought. I highly recommend it. We found places to eat, gas stations, and camping spots by using it.

Marslet

Marslet

Postby pattyk » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:58 pm

I agree that it is great. It also tells you where the rest stops are. If you're traveling with a dog that can be very useful. I have a problem though with some of the rest stops. They have a pet area, but it is usually filled with weeds about a foot tall. Poor Sammie has her belly covered with stickers. I'm trying slowly to get them all out but she doesn't like me working on them, so only a few at a time. The last rest stop I stopped at I went to the edge of the mowed grassy area away from their tables. Lo and behold, there was another lady with three small dogs. She felt the same way I do about the pet areas.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby mtngal » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks for sharing about this book. I just ordered a copy from Amazon. Also cd of Paint Your Wagon soundtrack. : )
Diana
mtngal

Postby Getupngo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Do all of you have navigators as you peruse this book? I wonder about the value of it sitting on my passenger seat as I approach an exit. :roll:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:59 am

I usually travel solo. I map out my route in advance and make a short list (in large print) of which exits I might want to stop at, by scanning the book. I know ahead of time about how many miles I can go before I'll need gas, potty break, leg stretch or doggy walk. I also note the rest stops I'll be passing so I know at a glance on my list how far one is away in case somthing unexpected comes up.

I love this guide.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am

". . .soundtrack to Paint Your Wagon . . ." "Where am I going, I don't know. When will I get there, I ain't certain. All I know is I am on my way."

Perfect song for this lifestyle sometimes. I bought the book last year, thinking it would be a lifesaver. I've used it once--- to find an IHOP. I don't have a navigator, so find it difficult to have to pull over while on a busy freeway to use the book. Now if they had a talking version or something . . .
oregontocal

Postby Paulette » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

I wasn't able to successfully get my "navigator" (my GD) to use it for me. So, I did earmark the pages and write out a list in advance of which exits I would be looking for. I agree, a talking version, in conjunction with the GPS, would be GREAT!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos