Recommendations for small dehumidifier

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Recommendations for small dehumidifier

Postby Cudedog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Greetings, all.

I really liked the recommendations that everyone made regarding a rechargeable lantern, I am also looking for a small dehumidifier.

I had ordered one from Amazon (Eva-Dry something) but when it came it was DOA, so I returned it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a dehumidifier in the $100 or so range?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Recommendations for small dehumidifier

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:57 am

My Eva-Dry is awesome. I have the Petite model.

I haven't used it recently - because I haven't been in really damp areas - and even here in rainy AK, I've only put out those closet things that collect water. But when I was out east and my windows were molding inside one summer, I got the Eva-Dry and it took care of my problems. I purchased based on another rver's recommendation and know others who use them also. One person I know had a much larger mh than me and has two of the same model as me - one for the bedroom, another for the living area.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 am

Beth, how do you recharge them? It's take a bunch of power.
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Recharge which? I've never used or needed to use the Eva-dry when without electric. The closet things just get tossed when used up and use a new one.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Bethers wrote:Recharge which? I've never used or needed to use the Eva-dry when without electric. The closet things just get tossed when used up and use a new one.

The two Eva-Drys I have need to be "dried out" by plugging it in to electric. They don't have to be plugged in when doing their job. I just "dried" one a few days ago - man, the thing to hot and took a long time (beads from from pink (wet) to blue (dry)).

I keep them in my master bedroom closets (they were too heavy to pack in the trailer...) :)

mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
Bethers wrote:Recharge which? I've never used or needed to use the Eva-dry when without electric. The closet things just get tossed when used up and use a new one.

The two Eva-Drys I have need to be "dried out" by plugging it in to electric. They don't have to be plugged in when doing their job. I just "dried" one a few days ago - man, the thing to hot and took a long time (beads from from pink (wet) to blue (dry)).

I keep them in my master bedroom closets (they were too heavy to pack in the trailer...) :)

Yours are smaller than mine. Mine has a reservoir - needs to be plugged in to work, and empty the reservoir daily (or when full).
Beth
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Beth, could you or Mitch post a link to the kind you have? Please?

I have put a ton of work into my van (pics on the "My Rig" thread) and I am deathly afraid of moisture getting behind the insulation causing rust in the walls. I am hoping to attend the upcoming West Coast GTG late next month, and the GTG is right on the coast.

When I was in my late teens, my mother (I think she always wanted to travel too, but was never able to) bought one of those pop-up trailer things that had hard sides (it wasn't a tent). I don't know if they even make them anymore. Anyway, the camp spot we went to was on a low bluff, just above the beach.

It was beautiful. Until that night. As soon as it got dark, the temperature dropped like a hammer and we began to freeze. This was my Mom's first trip ever, and the pop-up didn't have heat. Who would have thought? There were four of us inside the thing, and we all made the mistake of breathing. I don't know how much water a normal person breathes out per hour, but by about ten o'clock that night it started to "rain" inside of the trailer. Being beside the ocean, being cold, and with four handy-dandy moisture generators chugging away, the condensate on the walls began to drip. And drip. And drip. And not a slow drip. It went on all night. By morning we were all soaking wet, and miserable.

I don't remember if my Mom ever took the trailer out again. Sad, really.

I will never forget it, and I don't want this to happen to me inside my van at the GTG. The DOA eva dry thing was like a 1/2 pint per 24 hours. With people and dogs inside my van, I don't think this will be nearly enough, even if it wasn't DOA, to keep things dry.

I have found this, but it may be too large:

http://www.sears.com/danby-26-pint-energy-star-2-speed-dehumidifier/p-SPM7076734707?prdNo=18&blockNo=18&blockType=G18

I just don't know. I'm hoping you ladies can help me out here.

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Anne, here are the ones I have. Price has dropped.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/ ... 4AodikIAZw
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

I just found this...a LOT smaller than the one you linked to...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-Pint-Dehum ... h6_Tsu9KSM

And this page has a bunch of small ones..

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/small-dehumidifier
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 am

This is the one I have (and love):

http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry ... umidifier/

I don't remember what website I bought it from, but just wanted to link to what I have. And I just may get that 12-volt connection.
Beth
Bethers

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos