LEDs Replacement Lights

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: LEDs Replacement Lights

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:24 pm

That's an awesome deal - and if I was buying now, would be purchasing. I misread it when I looked. :oops:

Mine also fit tightly, but after in, I don't intend to remove them, so not worried about it :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JanetA » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

taking notes! thanks!!
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby Azusateach » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

So Mitch, to compare the "old" light color with the LED -- are the LEDs as warm-looking as the old ones? I'm very intrigued with them, but really, really don't like the cool-looking lights, especially en masse.

Thanks!

Laura
Azusateach

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Laura, I have no opinion on light "color". Never paid attention to it. I guess I don't care one way or the other. I might have an opinion if I saw one next to the other.

All I know is that they are WAY brighter than the old LEDs. WAY brighter. I used to swap out bulbs between when I was hooked up to power and when I had no power. I won't do that again. I will keep these in my fixtures all the time now. (Also because I have 40 of the wedge type!)

I actually just tried the bayonet bulbs yesterday evening. Almost blinded me.

I did an "energy audit" this afternoon, trying to figure out my estimated power requirements while in MX. I came up with this, so I think I'll be good to go with the generator and the new (and as of yet, uninstalled) 100W solar panel...

If anyone interested in getting started with solar hasn't been over to rv dot net in a while, the discussion I started is up to 7 pages already. There is really a ton of good information AND there has been only miniscule bits of the occasional chest pounding and none of it confrontational. It's helped me enormously.

mitch5252

Postby JoanE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:48 pm

There is a long thread on iRV2.com about LEDs. Laura, one person had a really good solution if you don't like the color of led bulbs. He called it lighting management. Ie use regular bulbs and turn off lights not needed. Results in warm glow you like and a reduction in power usage. :D
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 am

I "tried" both the warm and cool led's when looking at them. I didn't have a problem with either. BUT, unlike Mitch, I prefer to have not too bright lighting - so might be glad I don't have her really strong ones. I'll be checking it out, though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sandersmr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am

The ones I got (and I need to go out to the trailer and pull the information off the envelope) really match the bulbs currently in the trailer. I haven't changed all of them out yet - just the key ones that we use.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby Azusateach » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 am

Sandersmr wrote:The ones I got (and I need to go out to the trailer and pull the information off the envelope) really match the bulbs currently in the trailer. I haven't changed all of them out yet - just the key ones that we use.

I'd love to know which kind you have -- when you have the time to look. ;)

Thanks!
Azusateach

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Mitch do you have bayonet sockets? Do your new leds just push in?
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 am

JoanE wrote:Mitch do you have bayonet sockets? Do your new leds just push in?

I missed this, Joan. I have 2 bayonet sockets in my little trailer. They are BA15d (push and turn)

Speaking of which...I have 4 BAY15d bulbs that were ordered in error - I did not know there was a difference (very difficult to note that one's a BA and one's a BAY when looking at regular sized type, for me anyway. This little drawing was invaluable).

I need BA15d.

So, if anyone needs, and wants, the BAY15d bulbs, I'll mail them to you.
mitch5252

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Mitch been following your post on LED's. I have been working on replacing mine and had bought several. They are very bright. When I read your post, I ordered them, have received them, installed and now I am set. These are not as bright as the others I have, but that is fine, I don't need all my lights quite that bright. Thanks Mitch for the research and information.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Gentleladybear wrote:Mitch been following your post on LED's. I have been working on replacing mine and had bought several. They are very bright. When I read your post, I ordered them, have received them, installed and now I am set. These are not as bright as the others I have, but that is fine, I don't need all my lights quite that bright. Thanks Mitch for the research and information.

OMGosh - I actually did something useful and helpful! Yay, Me!!! :)

Did you get the 20 for $22 from China on Ebay? I really like them. Did you have to squeeze the wires to make them fit?

mitch5252

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Yep those are the ones I got. No squeezing at all except to push them into the socket. Held onto that little white socket and pushed until it clicked. Where I wanted brighter light, ie kitchen area, put one bright one and one not so bright and it works perfectly.

Thanks again, think this is the most perfect solution for replacing lights very inexpensively. One of the things you must remember is if it produces heat, it requires a lot of power. These produce almost no heat at all, so therefore much less power required.

Mitch I have also kept the information on the sabre lights, have 4 of those. All your research does pay off.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 am

None of those would work in my rig - I needed wedge ones. And am so happy to have changed them out - for many reasons. I used to use little lanterns when boondocking, and after doing this (even before going solar and more batteries, I was no longer afraid of the lights being on. I'm still so frugal with lights - rarely have more than one on - but that was me in a house, too.

Nan, I only put one light in some of my fixtures instead of two - especially fixtures I don't use often and don't need as much light when I do.
Beth
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Bethers wrote:None of those would work in my rig - I needed wedge ones.

Beth, the 20 for $22 off ebay are wedge bulbs.

Nan, what are sabre lights - same as bayonet? (in the weapons world, both are really sharp sticks...)

mitch5252

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos