Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Got my new toy a few weeks ago - have made my third concoction today. I say concoction, because most would buy this to make real ice cream. Mine are all dairy free - no sugar concoctions. First I made a strawberry "ice cream" - coconut milk, strawberries, honey - was really good. Soft serve consistency. 2nd was a very dark chocolate recipe - will tweak it, but I liked it - just a little bitter with the really dark chocolate I used. Today I made an orange/dreamsicle recipe - using coconut milk, vanilla, honey and the juice and zest from an orange. Was delish, but not quite orangey enough - so needs MORE oranges used. Easy to fix! And I can do lemons or limes, etc. As I can use the other two recipes for other blends - could substitute any berry in the strawberry recipe, for example.

I'm very happy - finding an alternative to my ice cream love that's healthier for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Mak

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Well, congratulations on your discovery, and healthy(ier) to boot!!
I'm glad it's working out for you.

mitch5252

Postby Liz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 am

Neat, have fun experimenting!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby snowball » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Beth
is this something you can use while boondocking?
sheila
snowball

Postby carold » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 pm

You better not have had that while we were there :) carold
carold

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 am

carold wrote:You better not have had that while we were there :) carold

I did, but you didn't stay long enough. Made a dreamsicle ice cream that Monday. Well shouldn't call it I've cream, but you get the idea.

Sheila, it needs power for under 20 minutes. I'm hoping to be able to do it off my batteries. Time will tell.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 am

My ice cream maker is in storage because it was too big to take with me, but I did make some interesting concoctions.

Try cranberry ice or cranberry sherbet--just add some cream for the sherbet. I also made some pomegranate/raspberry ice that was delicious, especially when I added some mini-chocolate chips to it--YUM!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:07 am

JudyJB wrote:My ice cream maker is in storage because it was too big to take with me, but I did make some interesting concoctions.

Try cranberry ice or cranberry sherbet--just add some cream for the sherbet. I also made some pomegranate/raspberry ice that was delicious, especially when I added some mini-chocolate chips to it--YUM!

Judy, those sound great - do they take sugar? I'm not using sugar or dairy- so the cream is out ... I'm making life really difficult on myself - but so far it's working - coconut milk is pretty much the stable to all I've made so far.
Beth
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 am

Just a quick question; the canister has to be kept frozen. Doesn't that take up a lot of room in the freezer when already the RV freezers tend to be small?
AlmostThere

Postby judi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 am

I have that same ice-cream maker and also don't use dairy. The recipes I used with coconut milk were too liquid, even after a lot of time in the machine. Would you share a few recipes?
Thanks!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 am

judi wrote:I have that same ice-cream maker and also don't use dairy. The recipes I used with coconut milk were too liquid, even after a lot of time in the machine. Would you share a few recipes?
Thanks!

Judi, will later. But two hints. Always use canned coconut milk that's been refrigerated. And don't use the water in it.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 am

AlmostThere wrote:Just a quick question; the canister has to be kept frozen. Doesn't that take up a lot of room in the freezer when already the RV freezers tend to be small?

I stick it in the freezer the day before using. Usually stuff either a bag of frozen veggies or fruit in it. I was worried about room, but so far so good.
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Yes, I have used sugar because those fruits are tart. But I am sure you could try honey or other sweetners. I suppose you could even use artificial sweetners. I used the bottled pomegranate juice that you buy in the grocery store, but I did once also use half-strength frozen cranberry juice also.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 pm

I am not a huge ice cream fan but make my healthy version in my Vita Mix with almond milk and fresh or frozen fruit and ice. Similar to a soft serve and done in 2 minutes. The Vita Mix was one of my must have appliances in the RV. So versatile.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:21 am

JoanE wrote:I am not a huge ice cream fan but make my healthy version in my Vita Mix with almond milk and fresh or frozen fruit and ice. Similar to a soft serve and done in 2 minutes. The Vita Mix was one of my must have appliances in the RV. So versatile.

I do those, also, but like the creamier texture the ice cream maker gives me. Actually like both ... make my smoothies with almond milk and my "ice cream" with the coconut milk. Oh, and use my blender to really blend the coconut milk and fruit to give me a really creamy mix to put in the ice cream maker :)
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos