Alarmed Cable

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Alarmed Cable

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:53 pm

My alarmed cable arrived today. Man, is it LOUD! I tried to take a video, but my connection is just too slow for any file that big.

Anyway, here it is, along with a noise comparison chart. The cable has a 120 decibel alarm. I plan to use it for my Honda generator and my Winegard Carryout antenna. It is weatherproof.

mitch5252

Re: Alarmed Cable

Postby monik7 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 pm

So Mitch, was this another Amazon purchase? How much? I wonder if it would work for my kayak and bike.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I bought it directly from http://lockalarm.com/. I think it was around $44. I got the one with the 30' cable in case the satellite antenna had to be a bit away from the trailer.

It would definitely work for your bike (wrap it around the frame), but I don't know where you'd put it on the kayak. I'm very happy with the quality and the very LOUD alarm. The alarm sounds if the cable is cut or if the lock box is tampered with.

You must register your keys with the company in order to ever receive a replacement if the originals (2) are lost.

PS: I just checked my invoice - it was $44.99 plus $9.99 shipping (shipped from an international location).

mitch5252

Postby bfandlw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:13 pm

I wonder if this might work for my RV ? I'm trying to figure out how to use these cables on my doors. At least if someone breaks in again, the noise might scare them. Any thoughts ? I would only use this when the RV is at the storage lot.
Image Image Image

Becky & Lynne
Oscar,Frankie,Bella
bfandlw

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I can't imagine in my mind how to rig it up on your door. I think a motion sensor alarm would be more useful for you??

You know you can't deter a determined thief...I've heard that thieves cut the handles on Honda generators when they're cable locked. I guess the same thing for the little "security" thing on the antenna. But maybe the casual thief wouldn't think to cut the handle on the Honda. Who knows...for fifty bucks, I'll give it a try.

mitch5252

Postby bfandlw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I think it's a good idea Mitch...like you said it's fifty bucks and who knows...it might just work!!
We have to try to protect ourselves & our belongings. Let us know how it goes.
Image Image Image

Becky & Lynne
Oscar,Frankie,Bella
bfandlw

Postby Azusateach » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm

How do you get close enough to turn it off? Does it come with ear protection?
Azusateach

Postby JudyJB » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:34 pm

How does this work? Does the alarm go off when it is moved or only when someone tries to cut it?

It sounds interesting, but how long does it scream after it is set off and how does it get shut off?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 am

Oh my, going to have to not only have my hearing aids out when with Mitch, but put plugs in my ears before taking her stuff! Oh, I mean borrowing.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 am

From manufacturer's web site:

The cable has a special conductive central core that, simply explained, creates a “loop circuit” when the cable is locked in place. Any action that breaks the “loop circuit” either permanently or momentarily will activate the alarm. Therefore, if the product is used correctly, the alarm will only sound when one of the following occurs:
(1) when the cable is cut (usually by 50% or more through)
(2) when the cable end is pulled out of the lock hole (this requires a huge amount of force!)
(3) when a sustained attempt is made to force open the device.
It is important to understand these products do NOT have a movement sensor feature so accidental knocks from passers by, windy conditions, movement caused in transit etc. should NOT cause the alarm to sound. Essentially, if the alarm sounds then it means someone is attempting to steal your possessions.

It is turned off by putting the key in the lock and turning it.
mitch5252

Postby chalet05 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Great find, Mitch!! I'm thinking of bicycle and Carryout satellite!
Anita
chalet05

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 pm

WOW Sounds like the baby alarms we put on our infants so they cant be abducted HA HA HA They work exactly the same way. Only they also talk to us at the monitor station "your hugs tag is loose"....and wont shut up til I fix it. If it looses contact with the skin (for any reason) a big old loud siren blares at us and we "spring" into action LOL

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I had read several reviews of alarmed cables that also have motion sensing.
The complaints were that it was far too sensitive and people walking could set it off.
That was a main reason I choose this one...didn't want false alarms all night!!
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

mitch5252 wrote:..
I had read several reviews of alarmed cables that also have motion sensing.
The complaints were that it was far too sensitive and people walking could set it off.
That was a main reason I choose this one...didn't want false alarms all night!!

Nope, you want to know when I go borrowing your equipment.

All kidding aside, I had a chain lock around my electric bike when I had it. And for my scooter. Not alarmed though. I have a tendency to ignore alarms these days - car alarms go off so often that one could be stolen with me right there, probably. But if this is as loud as Mitch says, I'd probably react differently to it. I do make sure my "stuff" is insured on my rv insurance policy - one thing many of you part time will have from your home owners policy - those of us full-time have to make sure the insurance companies understand and cover everything. It's why originally there were only two companies I'd use full-time. More are understanding our needs now, though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby carold » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 pm

So please explain why these cables are so alarmed. What is frightening them? Maybe their owners? Mmmmm, it's senior day at Safeway, but not for the wine :(
carold

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos