Alarmed Cable

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Alarmed Cable

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm

carold wrote:So please explain why these cables are so alarmed. What is frightening them? Maybe their owners? Mmmmm, it's senior day at Safeway, but not for the wine :(

LOLOL - little bored with our gimp foot, are we???
(good one...)

mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey, Carol - as an aside, you excited about your cruise tomorrow?
You should be cuz it's the bomb! Well, except for the Beth part.
Make her wait on you in the galley...it's kinda fun to boss her around.
But then leave the girls with a big tip, they kinda deserve it...(except Beth).

mitch5252

Postby carold » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

I'm feeding her, giving her wine, throwing away her "left at my rig" bag of dog poop, and gave her a shopping bag full of cd's AND now u want me to tip her :twisted: Whoops-she did take me out for dinner last night ;) carold
carold

Postby carold » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 pm

On a serious note too, I'm really looking forward to today's trip. The weather is beautiful and hope the wildlife and sea life recognize it and come out to play :D Beth is a great hostess and Peaches ain't so bad either :D carold
carold

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I like the fact that it really has to be tampered with to sound an alarm. I have always been worried about alarms because of false alarms going off with motion and such and driving neighbors crazy.

As far as an alarm for the door of an RV, that would be a challenge. I do know that in my condo, I had an alarm system installed, but I never had it monitored. I was on the second floor and had a private entrance on the lower to the outside. I figured in a condo, units were so close together that the sound alone would scare someone off. No monitoring meant no false alarms.

Might look into getting one for my electric bike.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Olive600 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm

carold wrote:So please explain why these cables are so alarmed. What is frightening them? Maybe their owners? Mmmmm, it's senior day at Safeway, but not for the wine :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the giggle. Really made me laugh.
Olive600

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:22 am

carold wrote:On a serious note too, I'm really looking forward to today's trip. The weather is beautiful and hope the wildlife and sea life recognize it and come out to play :D Beth is a great hostess and Peaches ain't so bad either :D carold

Unfortunately the whales weren't cooperative, but the day was absolutely gorgeous ... and the ice fields were wonderful. Didn't get to spend much time with them on the cruise, but just came from their place - had a wonderful dinner, and Peaches loves tGM, I think (he gives her good treats).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OutandAbout » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 pm

mitch5252 wrote:..
From manufacturer's web site:

The cable has a special conductive central core that, simply explained, creates a “loop circuit” when the cable is locked in place. Any action that breaks the “loop circuit” either permanently or momentarily will activate the alarm. Therefore, if the product is used correctly, the alarm will only sound when one of the following occurs:
(1) when the cable is cut (usually by 50% or more through)
(2) when the cable end is pulled out of the lock hole (this requires a huge amount of force!)
(3) when a sustained attempt is made to force open the device.
It is important to understand these products do NOT have a movement sensor feature so accidental knocks from passers by, windy conditions, movement caused in transit etc. should NOT cause the alarm to sound. Essentially, if the alarm sounds then it means someone is attempting to steal your possessions.

It is turned off by putting the key in the lock and turning it.

If there is no movement sensor feature and you use this with the generator/antenna/kayak/bike, etc., would you also have to hook it to something stationary, like a tree? I can see the thief cutting through the generator's handle and just walking off with the generator and the alarm cable still attached and silent. This would fit under the movement caused in transit notation. I would think the cable would have to be anchored to something that would force the thief to cut the cable, open the device or pull the end out. Or am I missing something?
OutandAbout

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I didn't get what you meant at first. Now I see.

I guess you can only take security so far. Some company makes a metal handle insert (to prevent cutting the plastic) for the Honda eu2000i, but I've not found one for my smaller machine.

If they want it THAT bad, let 'em have it. Hopefully, Abby will hear them and let me know. :D
Or better still, it NEVER happens!!

mitch5252

Previous

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos