Audubon Society Regional Field Guides

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Audubon Society Regional Field Guides

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I wholeheartedly recommend these Audubon field guides. I got the one for the Southwest last fall when I was in Arizona, and then I got the Florida version when I was down there last winter. I just picked up the Rocky Mountain book a couple of days ago and have the Pacific Northwest version on hold for me in Barnes and Noble in Denver so I can pick it up tomorrow. (Rocky Mountain version covers Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.)

What I like about these books is that they are small, about 4" by 8" but contain information on birds, wildflowers, reptiles, trees, animals, insects, and just about any other living thing you might want to identify in a particular area. They are about 450 pages long, so they are relatively thorough, and also have a front and end flap you can use to save your place. In addition, they contain information on the geology of the region, parks, and other scenic areas you might want to visit. Even have diagrams of the night sky.

As opposed to those folders with pictures of wildflowers you can buy in a lot of places, these books have a description for each item listing things like size, blooming seasons, where they can be found, and a description of leaves and flowers. Photos mostly also include leaves, which help in identification. Cost of each is $19.95.

There is one for California, also, but no nearby bookstores have it. Someday, I will also order the New England version if I go there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos