Propane camp fires?

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Propane camp fires?

Postby Lopo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 am

Does anyone have and use the portable fire rings like the "Little Red Campfire"? They look like a nice alternative when real fires are forbidden because of draught.
Lopo

Re: Propane camp fires?

Postby Teaspoon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I know this is an older post but I am new and wanted to respond. Yes I have the little red campfire in a can. I have used it a couple of times at car shows in parking lots when camping where fire rings were not provided. I have also used it in my first up canopy with my wind sides up in the rain while camping. It does put off the heat, however when you turn it up for a large flame it is noisy . When you need some outside heat in a hurry or want some ambiance in the rain under awning or canopy, or you dont wanna fuss with making a campfire, it cant be beat. The hose that attaches to your propane bottle is rather short though, I got a small 1 gallon propane bottle to use with it. I would reccommend watching when they go on sale, I waited and got a good deal on mine. Hope this helps.

Kim
Teaspoon

Postby avalen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

I had to google it, it does look like a nifty alternative.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 pm

How long does one small bottle last with one of these? I see you can get a cooktop for it as well.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am

I remember researching these and posting a comparison chart on rv dot net. Found my post (from 2008), but the screen shot of the comparison is gone. :(

Anyway, there are 3 that I remember:

1) Campfire In A Can

2) Little Red Campfire

3) New Frontier

http://www.newfrontiercampfire.com/

I FOUND IT!! These prices and specs are from 2008.

mitch5252

Postby Teaspoon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:58 am

BarbaraRose wrote:How long does one small bottle last with one of these? I see you can get a cooktop for it as well.

I am not sure how long my one gallon refillable propane cylinder lasts, I've never ran out and think I've filled it up again once and it didnt take more than 1/2 of a gallon to fill it back up. I have'nt used it for prolonged periods of time at one sitting so not sure. I could have gotten a 20lb propane cylinder for a lot less money than I paid for my one gallon but I wanted to save room and weight. I would say if you will be using this in lieu of a regular campfire alot to go with a longer connection to one of your propane cylinders on your camper or buy a larger cylinder than a one gallon. I am not sure I would want to cook this because of the size of the gas ring, seems like the ring of jets diameter is rather larger than say a regular stove top so heat would be wasted, but it would work. You might want to read on some other rv forums about peoples experience with these little portable campfires, theres some good youtube vids as well comparing them to each other.
Teaspoon

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos