Instant Pot 3-quart Duo Mini - 25% off (Vet's Day Sale)

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

Re: Instant Pot 3-quart Duo Mini - 25% off (Vet's Day Sale)

Postby OTW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Ah, that confirms my suspicions that fast release would suck juices out of meats. Thanks for that info!

For the 3-qt. using PIP (pot in pot) I just happened to have in the house part of a camping mess kit I'd bought some time ago. It's not the little usual size mess kit, but they make a larger one that's otherwise the same fold-up design. I don't know where the rest of it is or if I kept it but the piece I have (would be a lid to the whole setup probably) would fit in the 3-qt. Just sayin, not too many pots without sideways handles would likely fit in the 3-qt. so if a mess kit that size can be had - may not be very tall but one wouldn't want anything too tall. One of its pieces might be handy. I'd want it to be stainless though just because.

Bethers, what you wrote might be a solution to an issue I'm having. Last night I made a single serving of beef stew again - trying to get everything cooked the same. This time instead of baby carrots, I used whole carrots cut in half to fit the length and did use a smaller potato but didn't cut it in half, left it whole, and also didn't cut the onion in half, left it whole. At 12 minutes under Pressure Cook (same as Manual on some models) the veggies done that way came out really nice. But the meat this time was not as tender as the first time which was marginally so. Everything else, great. (Can't figure out why the meat would be any different though - came out of the same package).

So I thought one of 3 possible solutions - either precook the meat by itself in the planned stew liquid for 5 minutes or whatever, let it do natural release, add the veggies and set again for the same 12 minutes I used last night, and maybe the meat would be more tender. (Note, on my stovetop PC, everything comes out right, all together, at 9 minutes AND with a delayed quick release and sometimes not even delayed). The electric ones are lower pressure (max 13 but mostly 10-11.6 psi) hence my compromise at 12 minutes plus natural release.
That's one way. Next possibility was to brown the meat, then add the sauce and let it hang out on Saute to start cooking the meat some first.

Is the latter what you were referring to?? If so, do you keep Saute on high or normal or low (whichever choices Saute gives you)?? And for how long? The stew recipes I've found all seem to call for 35 minutes. OMG, the veggies would be disintegrated in 35 minutes of pressure cooking.

Very curious about your answer re that since it looks like you do that.
OTW

Postby Bethers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I've not cooked any soups/stews more than 8-12 minutes, 8 being my usual go to time. That gets my rice and veggies cooked how I want, thus my playing with sauteing (sp) meat. My pot doesn't have a specific "saute" button but the directions told me I could saute on several of the buttons without closing it up, therefore not allowing it to build pressure. I don't time it, just stir/turn over the meat until it seems good to me ... then add everything else and select the setting/time I want under pressure. Doing that and natural release has helped my meat, I believe.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OTW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Bethers -- I will definitely try that. A tad extra water probably since regular simmering evaporates some but that part's not hard. May not need much at all, if any. Plus it would concentrate the broth some.
OTW

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 pm

It also depends on your cut of meat. I find the leaner meats seem to need more time. For my pot roast I always brown it on saute first with seasonings and onions. Then I add my broth (I use Better than Bouillon) then add a packet of gravy mix or lipton soup mix. Cook it for 35 minutes then remove it after the NPR is done. Then add my veggies and cook them for 8 minutes with a quick release. By this time the meat has rested, the veggies are perfect....dinnah time!!!!

For Pot in Pot you can use any cookware that is oven safe (ie: pyrex) cover it with tinfoil. I bought a set of 3 stainless steel stackable pots for the Instant Pot they have lids so they work well.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby OTW » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:49 am

OregonLuvr wrote:It also depends on your cut of meat. I find the leaner meats seem to need more time. For my pot roast I always brown it on saute first with seasonings and onions. Then I add my broth (I use Better than Bouillon) then add a packet of gravy mix or lipton soup mix. Cook it for 35 minutes then remove it after the NPR is done. Then add my veggies and cook them for 8 minutes with a quick release. By this time the meat has rested, the veggies are perfect....dinnah time!!!!

For Pot in Pot you can use any cookware that is oven safe (ie: pyrex) cover it with tinfoil. I bought a set of 3 stainless steel stackable pots for the Instant Pot they have lids so they work well.

Huh! I hadn't thought of removing the meat but that would let you time your veggies independently and also allow you to cook the meat as you want without having to consider the veggies at all. With quick release of the veggies being no problem, that would work out too. So there are definitely workarounds. It adds a bit of time, but still beats constantly tending the whole mass as is the case cooking regular stovetop. Thanks!!
OTW

Postby Azusateach » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am

Insta Pots were featured on the program, “Sunday Morning”. We just ordered one for the house. I’ll be picking your collective brains as we venture into the world of pressure cooking. Here’s to new culinary adventures!
Azusateach

Postby OTW » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Azusateach wrote:Insta Pots were featured on the program, “Sunday Morning”. We just ordered one for the house. I’ll be picking your collective brains as we venture into the world of pressure cooking. Here’s to new culinary adventures!

Congrats! The more the merrier. There are little tricks and tips people come up with so it's fun to exchange those. What model did you get?
OTW

Postby Azusateach » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

OTW wrote:Congrats! The more the merrier. There are little tricks and tips people come up with so it's fun to exchange those. What model did you get?

We got the 6qt. Duo. We figured we'd be more inclined to use it like the bigger crockpot that we've got. When we travel in the RV we usually make things ahead and take it with us, so we weren't concerned about saving space. It'll be here Tuesday and we leave Wednesday for a Thanksgiving camping trip, so it'll have to wait until we get home to try out.

Once we get it I'll be asking questions like crazy! :D

Laura
Azusateach

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm

I think you will like it Laura. I like to make a lot and make freezer quick meals that I can grab and go in the RV. I have a food saver that I love. Only downside to my Instant Pot is I had to buy a freezer LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby OTW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:17 am

Azusateach wrote:
OTW wrote:Congrats! The more the merrier. There are little tricks and tips people come up with so it's fun to exchange those. What model did you get?

We got the 6qt. Duo. We figured we'd be more inclined to use it like the bigger crockpot that we've got. When we travel in the RV we usually make things ahead and take it with us, so we weren't concerned about saving space. It'll be here Tuesday and we leave Wednesday for a Thanksgiving camping trip, so it'll have to wait until we get home to try out.

Once we get it I'll be asking questions like crazy! :D

Laura

And you will get answers! One VERY good site to know about which has excellent info is http://www.hippressurecooking.com (people refer to it as "the hip site"). She is connected to Instant Pot in that she's one of the authors of the recipe book that comes with the machine and Instant Pot "tech support" refers people to her website for its cooking times table. I've only tried the prescribed cooking time on one item but it was accurate. Not so sure about the other times yet. But she writes informative articles, has videos, etc. A good place to get oriented to pressure cooking in general and also via the Instant Pot. There's also Facebook group (this one called Instant Pot Community) but my own problem with Facebook is that the discussion is linear and how the heck do you find posts on a topic written a while ago? (I'm not a fan of facebook so whatever's annoying about it inherently will annoy me even more so.) But many people like that group. There are other facebook groups for IP also.

With two of you particularly cooking for leftovers, the 6 qt. sounds like an ideal size. You'll have fun with it. I'm about to post a recipe for simple mac-and-cheese that I tried. I was shocked that it worked, and it worked very well!
OTW

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am

Another site on Facebook I like is Instant Pot for Beginners. Great tips and good links to recipes and people will say what worked and what didnt and how much time they did it for. Also good links to blogs with recipes. It is still a learning curve for me too as I want to try some other recipes especially I want to make a cheesecake. It is not my favorite thing to eat but I want to see how it does in the IP. I wont have trouble giving it away I am sure (unless it is an EPIC fail).
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Azusateach » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks you guys! :)

I've wandered over to the "Hip" site & now have it bookmarked. I can see that I'll be spending a lot of time there.

And for the mac & cheese recipe ... oh. my. GOSH! I LOVE mac & cheese! And I cans lots of fun variations in my future with that recipe (add meat, different cheese, veggies ... sigh!).

Let the fun begin!
Azusateach

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

I belong to Instant Pot Cooks (all pots welcome) on FB.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OTW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Oo! Will check that one out. I avoid Facebook but IP-related stuff may end up the exception. Thanks for posting the referral.
OTW

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 pm

I thought some of you might enjoy this:
https://www.consumerreports.org/instant ... -face-off/
Beth
Bethers

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos