WIFI Extender

Useful "things" you've discovered to make your rving life easier.

WIFI Extender

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Kind of excited about my new gadget, so wanted to share. After seeing that some friends, here, are using a WIFI extender, and like it....I decided to order one. It's called Bear Extender PC. I'm using it for the first time and so far, I love it!!! I couldn't even use the campground WIFI without it and it seems faster than using my Verizon Hotspot. Plus, it will save on my data usage.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Re: WIFI Extender

Postby snowball » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Linda
this winter I was in the consignment shop and he was talking about a
thing that pulls in signals better in his case he was using the motels wifi (whether he should or not is debatable) he wasn't staying
at the motel but said he was getting it really well...I spend the summer at my dd's house in my 5th wheel the wifi doesn't reach my
5th wheel so I use my air card but it is limited am tempted to get this or some thing similar would you mind share the cost of the one you
bought..the one at the consignment shop was as I remember around 150.00
thanks
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 pm

The company web page lists it @ $49 with free shipping.
Sadly it only works with computers running Windows.
Does anyone know of one for MACs?
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Bethers » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:58 am

Love my extender. Probably should be using it here :shock:
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:26 am

bluepinecones wrote:The company web page lists it @ $49 with free shipping.
Sadly it only works with computers running Windows.
Does anyone know of one for MACs?

Amazon has one for Macs.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Sorry, haven't been on the computer for awhile. Been working a lot. As Barbie said, it was $45 on Amazon.com. My friends have one that cost $20 some and it works well, here, too.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby avalen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:32 am

so...let me see if I understand this item correctly....if a free wifi signal is too far away to reach me, this item will pull it in?
If this is the case, we have free wifi at our clubhouse but of course not at my space, wondering if I bought this if I could get
the wifi to reach me. I think I should put that on my list of things to buy.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:12 pm

avalen wrote:so...let me see if I understand this item correctly....if a free wifi signal is too far away to reach me, this item will pull it in?
If this is the case, we have free wifi at our clubhouse but of course not at my space, wondering if I bought this if I could get
the wifi to reach me. I think I should put that on my list of things to buy.

It might. Do you show the signal at all, just too weak? That's when I find it works best.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:41 pm

I don't show the signal here but if I want to use the wifi I have to take my laptop to the clubhouse, or use their computers up there. But if I can reach the wifi from other areas like the laundry room or patio the wifi extender would be worth it just to save my data. I just don't care much for going to the clubhouse, its much too busy. The laundryroom is air conditioned and
no one hangs out there, :D its quiet.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Ava, when the campground WIFI is working....I could barely get a signal. It was not nearly enough to get online. It has boosted my signal immensely! I'm using it right now :D

bikerchic777

Postby JudyJB » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:39 am

I have to have one of these. Can I ask where you got it?? I see it on Amazon but would like to get one sooner.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby JudyJB » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Whoopee! As you may know, I have been having major problems with my new jetpack from Verizon using tons of expensive data and leaving me not being able to use it except for emergencies because of the cost of the data. I need it for teaching online, and I can't afford to not teach because it pays for a lot of my travel.

I spent the past four days fuming at the commercial campground I stayed at promising me good internet and then not delivering. The girl at the desk kept insisting I had firewall problems and that I was the only one to not be able to connect. Grrrr! :evil: I went to McDonalds twice to use their slow service.

Today, I left that place and came to another commercial campground in Portland with more promises of good internet. (Amazing how it changes from an over the phone "good internet" to "Well, you should be able to get connected" upon check-in.) So, having read this wonderful posting and needing new sewer hose, I went to Camping World on my way here. Bought their "Super USB WiFi Antenna3" booster for $89, and it took a while but IT WORKS!! I went from one or two bars to five bars! :D

It is still pretty slow, but at least I can get connected! Yea! This is really important because the new semester begins in three weeks and I have major changes in both of the classes I will be teaching. I'm going to be in the boondocks for the next three weeks, so it was really important for me to get internet, especially since I am almost out of gigs on Verizon so have been doing everything on my phone and still almost out. I would have ordered the BearExtender but needed something now.

So, now I will spent tonight and tomorrow night getting things set up for at least one class. Old friend from 5th grade to graduation picking me up tomorrow for the day. (I went to a very small high school where everyone knew everyone, so it is nice to find old friends in my travels.)
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Am spending two nights at a county campground in Eugene, Oregon, and have a lot of work to do so got out my WiFi extender I bought as a result of BikerChic777's original post. I have to say, it works great! I had barely two bars of one WiFi hub and now I have five bars for both the hubs in the park. Fantastic!!!

I've been in state parks for the last three weeks so no chance to use it. I am thinking I might even be able to use it outside of places like Panera and McDonalds! State parks again for next ten days, and then almost three weeks in a commercial campground in Napa with free internet, so this should really save on my Verizon service.

Yea!! :D
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 pm

I haven't been on here in ages, with my Amazon work and all. Glad you are happy with your WiFi extender, Judy :D I still love mine! I'm using it right now! I am in the state park, again, in Campbellsville, KY. With it, I get an excellent signal and pretty fast speed. I don't try to stream movies or anything, but does great for what I need. There is a deluxe model for gaming, etc. I always hope people don't do that in campgrounds, as it messes up others. I may order the longer cable for mine, as the one it came with is so short :roll: Seems like most small appliances have short cords, too. Very frustrating!

bikerchic777

Next

Return to Gadgets and Gizmos